Apple butter?

DeannaDaniels

• Moderators

The ingredients are okay, but eating this is probably a bad idea because it is so sweet. You might use apple butter as an ingredient in a savory dish, but stay away from using it as a dessert or a treat. 

• 10 months later...

(I realize I'm bumping this from quite awhile ago, hopefully that is ok)

I just picked some of this up, thinking oh, yes, I will round out my pantry. It contains apples and apple juice, nothing else. I thought ok, fruit juice as a sweetener, I will have a teeny scoop of this alongside the rest of my meal (salmon with olives, using celery to dip into pureed olives, thought maybe a spoonful of apple butter would make for a nice second dip).

It was SO SWEET I was in shock (Day 9 over here). I realized I don't feel the urge to eat it on its own. I mean sweeter than I remember candy being.

Definitely something I could see incorporating into a sauce mixed in with savory ingredients. But yeah, if someone out there is thinking of trying this for the first time, be warned.

• Administrators

I would use that as a garnish or to sweeten a home made BBQ sauce, but that's about it.  I do like like having something around that's easy to grab and add a dollop or two.  There are some nice fruit-only jams out there as well.

Watch those fruit only jams for sneaky sweeteners http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-sugar.pdf and also consider your context when eating them. If you are doing it to get a sweet fix it's probably best to leave them be for the 30 days and revisit them when you're done.

Watch those fruit only jams for sneaky sweeteners http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-sugar.pdf and also consider your context when eating them. If you are doing it to get a sweet fix it's probably best to leave them be for the 30 days and revisit them when you're done.

Nah, I haven't used anything like this so far in my Whole30, but did when I was doing just regular ol' not so strict Paleo.  And definitely as (a small) part of a sauce/garnish.  Mainly BBQ sauce, although now I've been blending in a couple dates and I think this is much better!

Is fruit pectin Whole30 compliant? 

Archived