Should I or shouldn't I

laurobnat

Quick question.  I am starting this Sunday. 

Did you guys go nuts before you started or did you start to wean yourself off of certain food items.  I REALLY want run out and have a chocolate malt right now but I also don't want to make the whole experience harder. 

What did you guys do?

thx

I say go have your malt!  Go and enjoy the heck out of it.  Day 1 will be day 1 whether you

do or don't have it.    

I didn't "clean up" my diet days before beginning the W30 and did great.  I did not have a difficult

transition into clean eating. 

But you know you best. ( You know my vote.   ;) )

I transitioned by cutting out soda about a week beforehand because I was badly addicted to the caffeine and chemicals. I didn't want to deal with that on top of food changes. But that was it for me and that's only because I had a specific issue.

Other than that, I went pretty crazy :) I think I gorged on Cheez It Snack Mix for like four days. To the point where the idea of salted snacks kind of makes me sick, so I guess that's a plus.

I say go for it :)

• Moderators

I didn't go crazy, and I spent a couple weeks practicing and therefore eating many compliant recipes. I also very deliberately allowed myself delicious dark chocolate and good wine, the two things I miss most on W30. And come to think of it, I did have a wonderful Indian meal complete with naan and rice and beer and ate to my heart's content. I say have what you want, and enjoy every mouthful, but don't gorge yourself. There's no pleasure in that!

I went crazy!  ;) I say if you want a chocolate malt that badly, go for it... because you don't know when you'll have another, especially if you find out dairy is a culprit to you not feeling the best and you decide you never want to add it back into your diet post reintroduction

hey, I'm on day 5 of my first whole 30.  Husband and I spent about 4 weeks transitioning into it, mostly to get the kitchen ready. I couldn't bear to just throw away lots of food.  Basically 4 weeks prior to starting I committed that when at the grocery store I would only buy whole30 compliant.  We gradually ate down all the bad and tempting things in the house (ice cream, candy, cookies, bread).  Also, I started making Whole30 compliant meals during the work week, and actually had carb withdrawal hard core that first week.  (On day 3 I woke up in cold sweats in the middle of the night, nasty headaches on days 1-3)  But we would slip on the weekends, and occ. during the week if something looked really good (like brownies in the break room - sweets are my thing, didn't care about bread, really).

The weekend before our Monday start this week we went to a nice Japanese restaurant for our Sat anniversary, and Sunday evening we had pizza and Ben & Jerry's!  Hubby had a beer :)

Now I've started, and I'm at day 5 and really haven't had any carb withdrawal symptoms. Which seems crazy to me.  I'm not exactly sure why, but seems like going through it 4 weeks ago and eating 80% healthy since then was enough to protect me from it this time? 

Good luck to you!  I actually feeling really good here at day 5, happy and in control.  Enjoying the routine of it all.  I'm a creature of routine.  Best!

I did a really strict intro week before my first W30 and felt awful for about half of the month. In the 2 weeks between that round and this one, I was muuuuch less strict. Birthday, valentine's day, etc. In true predictably-unpredictable fashion, this time I've felt totally even-keeled.

Archived