WholeBunchOJunk's 2nd Whole30 Log

WholeBunchOJunk

Day 27

(Friday, April 18)

Slept well I think, though woke up "hard"...with a start and not knowing where I was, lol.  I took 2 x 10 mg melatonin tablets last night, went to bed at 8:30 p.m. and woke up in the same position I went to sleep, though I DO think I woke up a couple of times during the night.  I'm REALLY looking forward to getting home and relaxing tonight.  :)

M1 (3:00 a.m.):  Egg muffin, iced tea w/ 1/4 can coconut milk

M2 (6:20 a.m.):  1.5 egg muffins, 1 Applegate Organics chicken & apple sausage, 1 apple, 1/3 cup of black coffee

Please note....NO BACON TODAY, lol, but I HAVE had some black coffee

M3 (11:10 a.m.):  Chicken thigh meat (no skin or bone), broccoli w/ghee, 1/2 avocado, black olives

M4 (?):  shake:  spinach, strawberries, mango, egg white protein powder, almonds, coconut milk

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 28

(Saturday, April 19)

Sleep was much better last night.  I may have actually gotten around 6 hours which is pretty unheard of, lol.  Feeling pretty good today, but I am not very hungry.  I had another protein shake this morning at around 4:45 a.m. (sorry, stomach still hurts), some coffee while out shopping at around 8:30 am, and it's almost noon here and I'm just starting to feel a bit of hunger.  Honestly if I drank some water and was doing anything other than sitting on the couch typing, I might not even notice that little hunger, lol.

M1 (4:45 a.m.):  shake:  spinach, egg white protein powder, coconut milk, frozen strawberries & blueberries, almonds, a small spoonful of cashew butter, 2 D3 drops; and along with the shake had a big helping of butternut squash which I fried up in some bacon drippings.

8:30 a.m.:  Starbuck's iced Venti Americano to which I added my own coconut milk

M2 (1:15 p.m.):  3 eggs, red bell pepper, artichoke bottoms, 5 slices bacon; 1/2 avocado

M3 (4:45 p.m.):  sorry, another protein shake...my stomach has been so sore.  :(  

Day 29

Day 1 No Coffee (LOL)

(Sunday, April 20)

Sleep was a bit more restless last night even with 2 Melatonin last night.  But, did sleep long enough to feel okay.  Stomach is still sore today, so started my day with a green shake again.

M1 (5:35 a.m.):  carrots, spinach, frozen banana, egg white protein powder, 2 dates, 2 drops of D3, ice cubes

M2 (9:45 a.m.):  hamburger patty (75/25), 1/2 avocado and 1 whole head (LOL) of roasted cauliflower.  It was a SMALL head, lol.  Once it was roasted up the amount looked so small, and it was so good, just ate the whole thing.  We'll see what that does to my stomach, but so far so good.

M3 (3:00 p.m.):  another shake :(

M4 (6:00 p.m.):  small hamburger patty, asparagus, 1 slice bacon

Day 30

(Monday, April 21)

Well, my stomach is a lot less sore today.  :)  Sleep was okay, not the worst it's been and not the best it's been, but I'll take it. 

M1 (3:45 a.m.):  Fritatta Muffin, 1 slice bacon, Iced Chocolate Truffle herbal tea w/ 1/4 can coconut milk

M2 (6:15 a.m.):  Chicken thigh meat, 2 slices bacon, asparagus, 1 apple

M3 (12:30 p.m.):  75/25 hamburger patty, 1/2 avocado, cauliflower and butternut squash w/ghee, olives

M4 (?):  Will probably have a shake again...stomach is better, but it still hurts a little.

So, as the first part of my Whole## comes to a close, and the next part begins, I have nothing major to report, lol.

My timeline "symptoms" were mild.  The biggest woe I've had is the stomach followed closely by the headaches I've been having. 

I do feel like I have a little bit more energy, which is great.  Still not enough to start a new workout regime, but it's enough to get me up off the couch or my chair at work and walk the halls just to get in some movement.

I feel like I might be sleeping ever so slightly better, but it's really hard to tell since I have so many problems with my sleep.  So many things affect it.  :blink:

I'm trying to decide if I want to try introduce something now or just wait.  If I introduce something back, it will be one thing and one thing only for the next month.  :P

Day 31

(Tuesday, April 22)

Today starts my second 30 days so I weighed and took measurements.  I have to compare the measurements against what I took when I started, but pretty sure I've lost some inches.  As far as weight, I've lost 5.4 pounds in my first 30 days.  Editing to add:  So, I've compared my measurements since I started and I've lost a total of 5 inches overall. 

Some of the other improvements have been my sleep, even if ever so slightly, less pain in my joints/bones, a slight improvement in energy and more improvement in mental outlook.

M1 (3:45 a.m.):  Frittata Muffin, 2 slices bacon, Iced chocolate mint truffle tea w/ 1/4 can coconut milk

M2 (6:15 a.m.):  chicken thigh meat, asparagus (roasted in olive oil), 1 apple, olives

M3 (11:10 a.m.):  75/25 hamburger patty, lots of broccoli, sweet potato puree, 1/2 avocado

M4 (?):  probably a green shake again...things seem to be moving out of my stomach pretty well with this

Day 32

(Wednesday, April 23)

Sleep was a little more restless last night...I couldn't get comfortable temperature-wise.  I have a quilt throw that I use so it's easy to throw it off or put it on, but I just couldn't seem to get the right combo of coverage, lol. 

Today is my first real challenge Whole30-wise.  It is staff appreciation week at work and today's first treat is a coffee bar.  I think I've decided to have a latte, and brought my own lite coconut milk for them to use.  The second treat today is a lunch at PF Chang's.  I've already printed the gluten-free menu and have it narrowed down to a couple of choices that hopefully won't be horrible.  Sometime before that, I'll double check here in the eating out section to see what people here have done.  Yesterday I won two McDonald's gift certificates in a Staff Appreciation Week trivia contest...those will be going to my mom and aunt, lol.

Editing to add:  So, I've compared my measurements since I started and I've lost a total of 5 inches overall.  Not bad!  :)

M1 (3:45 a.m.):  Not to template I'm afraid:  2 oz chicken thigh meat, 3 slices bacon and an iced Chocolate Mint Truffle tea w/ 1/4 can coconut milk.

M2 (6:15 a.m.):  hamburger patty, 6 (lol) artichoke bottoms, apple, olives

9:22 a.m., enjoying my nice coconut milk latte!  :D  Yum

M3 (11:30-1:00 p.m.):  PF Chang's:  Beef with Broccoli or Ginger Chicken with Broccoli or Shaking Beef w/ Stir-Fried Spinach and maybe Egg Drop Soup or the safest choice of steamed fish and veggies - went with the safest and had steamed salmon and veggies (broccoli, string beans, carrots).  :)  I also took one bite of the lettuce wraps--a lettuce leaf with about 1 teaspoon of the filling....my stomach hurt after that and hasn't stopped.  Okay then.  Lesson learned.  Water to drink.

M4 (?):  Most likely another green shake

2 x 10 mg melatonin tablets and chamomile tea

Day 33

(Thursday, April 24)

Sleep about the same as the night before, not great, but not the worst I've had.  Today's staff appreciation treat is popcorn...EASY PEASY to resist, lol.  I'm not a huge fan of popcorn so this should be easy.

M1 (4:15 a.m.):  Frittata muffin, that's it, lol

M2 (6:15 a.m.):  Chicken thigh meat, butternut squash (I've taken a liking to this, lol), ghee, apple

M3 (11:15 a.m.):  Ground beef patty, butternut squash, ghee, 1/4 avocado, black olives

M4 (?):  Stomach feeling better than yesterday, but still not normal so will have a shake again...my digestion seems to slow way down as the day goes on

A non-bacon day, lol!

1 Zyrtek allergy tablet at 5:00 p.m. (or thereabouts)

Day 34

(Friday, April 25)

Uggg, sure wish I was home today.  Feeling very sluggish and sleepy, lol.  Stomach, at least, is feeling better today.  :)

M1 (3:30 a.m.):  frittata muffin, 1 large commuter cup organic decaf coffee w/ 1/4 can coconut milk

M2 (6:25 a.m.):  chicken thigh meat, butternut squash, olives, 1 apple

M3 (11:15 a.m.):  ground beef, butternut squash, avocado, ghee

M4 (?): shake again

Another non-bacon day!!!  :D

Zyrtek at 5:00 pm

Day 35

(Saturday, April 26)

Slept much better last night.  Not sure how many times, if any, I woke up before 3:20 ish, but that's the first time I remember.  Got up to use the restroom then decided to go back to bed and relax.  Ended up falling asleep again, next thing I knew it was 5:30, lol.  Yay.

I have decided to try to make some soup. As I've stated before, I am not a cook by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought I'd give this a go.  I found some chicken stock at Whole Foods that seems to be compliant, and bought a bunch of already diced carrots, celery and onions and some bok choi, some boneless/skinless chicken thighs and some chicken wings for flavor.  Should have gotten garlic now that I think of it, but I do have garlic powder.  My plan is to eat the soup for dinner instead of the shakes.  I think as long as the veggies are well cooked and there is adequate protein, my stomach will behave.

Today I just wasn't hungry, at all.  I tried making breakfast but was only able to get half down.  I had coffee out while shopping about 8:30 but wasn't hungry at all, even at 11:00.  I did make myself a green shake so I could get something down, but am just not hungry.   :(

M1 (5:45 a.m.):  scramble:  3 eggs, 3 artichoke bottoms, butternut squash, scrambled in ghee.  Could only get about half of this down.

8:30 a.m.:  Iced Venti Americano w/ 1/4 can coconut milk

M2 (11:10 a.m.):  green shake:  tons of spinach, 1/2 avocado, 1 frozen banana, egg white protein powder 1/4 can coconut milk, filtered water

M3 (4:30):  sirloin tip steak and roasted (in olive oil) asparagus

Day 36

(Sunday, April 27)

Slept about the same as the night before, a little better than normal, only this morning I did not fall back to sleep, so got up at 4:15 ish. I DID, however, wake up with a bit better appetite.  Still not very hungry, and a cup of coffee would have done it, but decided to make something and eat instead of drink my breakfast.

M1 (4:30 a.m.):  3 eggs, diced orange bell pepper and artichoke bottoms in ghee

6:10 a.m., decaf coffee with 1/4 can coconut milk, a pinch of cocoa powder

Not sure what meal 2 & 3 will be yet.  I will be making my veggie/chicken soup and I also have some swordfish defrosted, but just not sure which order I'll be eating them in.  I'm off (as soon as I finish here) to look at some recipes for chicken soup, lol.  in the past I just threw in some water and chicken and boiled the heck out of it.  Veggies probably call for a different approach.   :lol:

M2 (11:15 a.m.):  chicken veggie soup (made by me):  chicken thigh and wing meat, carrots, celery, onions, bok choi.  Once again I shocked myself...this turned out pretty darned good.  :P  I had enough left for 5 medium sized servings and two more mostly broth servings, and two more broth servings.  i'm set for the next time my stomach decides to really act up.

M3 (4:30 p.m.):   veggie chicken soup:  chicken stock, carrots, celery, onions, bok choy, chicken thigh and wing meat

Memorializing my soup concoction so the next time I think of making soup, I will know what I did.   :lol:

Ingredients:

1 package pre-diced carrots

1 package pre-diced celery

1 package pre-diced onions

2 heads of bok choy

1 container chicken stock (from the Freezer section at Whole Foods--all compliant ingredients)

2 packages chicken wings (with skin and bones)

1 package boneless/skinless chicken thighs

Salt, garlic powder, ghee

Had to look online to see what people normally do...boil everything together or the chicken first.  I decided since my veggies were diced pretty small, I'd just boil the chicken first.

Heated some ghee in a stock pot.

Sauteed a handful of onions for a minute or two; salt and garlic powder

Added the chicken wings for a minute or two

Added the stock and water to cover everything

Brought to a boil, then simmered until the meat fell off the bone

Removed boiled chicken, then added the veggies and some extra thigh meat that I had baked

Diced up the boiled chicken and returned to the pot until the veggies were tender.

When I dished this into the bowl, I added a couple of splashes of coconut aminos on the  top and since I LOVE salt (and have extremely low blood pressure), added more salt, and then a little more salt.   :ph34r:

It was pretty good, but not sure how long it will keep me full...soup never seems to keep me full.  Next time I try this I may use cabbage instead of bok choy.

I also think I will use more carrots and celery...it looked like a lot when I added them in, but as I was scooping them into containers they seemed soupier.

Day 37

(Monday, April 28)

Sleep was okay...was so tired yesterday that I dozed a lot for short periods of time on the couch while watching TV.  Still managed to sleep fairly well despite that.

M1 (3:30 a.m.):  1 egg scrambled with orange bell pepper and artichoke bottoms; iced decaf coffee w/ 1/4 can coconut milk

M2 (7:20 a.m.):  1 package Applegate Org. Roast Beef, shredded zucchini, 1 small apple

M3 (11:30 a.m.):  ground beef patty, butternut squash, olives

M4 (5:00 p.m.):  chicken veggie soup, couple spoonfuls of cashew butter

Day 38

(Tuesday, April 29)

Sleep was a little disturbed last night.  My body slept but my mind was too active; does that even make sense, lol.   I was aware of flashes of thought (not dreams by-the-way) throughout the night.  I hate that.  :rolleyes:

M1 (3:10 a.m.):  1 egg scrambled with orange bell peppers and artichoke bottoms in ghee; iced org. decaf w/ 1/4 can lite coconut milk (no reason for the lite other than it was the handiest)

M2 (6:20 a.m.):  Chicken veggie soup; 1 apple

M3 (11:00 a.m.):   ground beef patty, broccoli, butternut squash, ghee, black olives

M4 (5:10 p.m.): protein shake--not to template  :(

Day 39

(Wednesday, April 30)

Still trucking along.  Didn't sleep well last night, and woke up sneezing this morning.  I think I may have a sinus infection.  Usually DAIRY does that to me, but I've been 100% compliant in THAT category, so that's not the cause.  I'm wondering if my original thought that I needed more than 30 days to reset my body is actually true in a lot of ways.  I'm wondering if I have that "flu/cold" stage now because I really can't think what else caused it.  I'm at work already, but may try to go home early--have a meeting today, but might be able to leave after that.

M1 (3:45 a.m.):  1 egg scrambled with orange bell pepper and artichoke bottoms in ghee; iced org. decaf w/ 1/4 can coconut milk -- couldn't eat this all...I'm never that hungry in the very early mornings, but mainly it was because I over salted it, lol.  I think I ate 2/3rds of it though.

M2 (6:20 a.m.):  chicken veggie soup, 1 apple

M3 (1:00 p.m.):  wasn't feeling well, so came home early and had a protein shake, not to template I'm afraid, but all 100% compliant ingredients

M4 (6:00 p.m.):  1/2 package applegate organics sliced roast beef, artichoke bottoms, black olives....not the best of meals, but I tried to follow the template, I just wasn't very hungry but wanted to eat a little something.

Day 40!

(Thursday, May 1)

40 days! Wow, I'm still feeling like I can do this indefinitely, though occasionally want something off the Whole30 plan. I think that whenever I reach the point I feel I've done enough Whole30, that I will continue to eat compliant meals, but just have an occasional off plan item.  For instance, it would be great to have my once a week Starbuck's with a little heavy cream, while not going full tilt by adding a bunch of other dairy back into my life.  At this point, I still intend to complete at least 60 days of a compliant Whole30 approach.

I have stayed home from work today as I am not feeling well again.  I still think it may be a sinus infection or maybe just really bad allergies, but it's messing with everything.  I'm not very hungry at all and nothing sounds good so it's hard to get enthused about anything food-wise, lol.  I'm very tired and eyes are still glassy/burning.

M1 (4:15 a.m.):  2 eggs, 3 artichoke bottoms cooked in ghee; sipping hot water for now.  Wasn't very hungry, but managed to eat most of it--threw a couple of bites away, but ate most of it.

M2 (8:25 a,m.):  chicken veggie soup (with extra veggies)

M3 (12:15 p.m.):  protein shake with spinach

M4 (4:00 p.m.):  ground beef patty, broccoli, butternut squash, ghee

Day 41

(Friday, May 2)

Did not sleep well...no shocker I guess, lol.  It was so hot and my breathing isn't the best with the sinus thing going on, so I was just uncomfortable all night.  Woke up around 2:00, got up around 2:45.  Sigh, lol.

I feel about the same ick-wise, but came to work anyway because there was a bunch of work that came in while I was out.  My backup was also sick, so just decided since I was up to come in and do the work.  I may try to leave early again.

M1 (3:15 a.m.):  egg/zucchini muffin, iced org. decaf coffee w/ 1/4 can coconut milk

M2 (7:00 a.m.):  (just finishing it now)  chicken veggie soup with extra artichoke bottoms thrown in; 1 apple

M3 (11:45 a.m.:  roasted chicken thigh meat, broccoli, ghee, black olives

M4 (5:00 p.m.):  greens shake

Day 42

(Saturday, May 3)

Another sleepless night for about the same reasons, it was very warm and I couldn't breathe well.  Felt slightly better sinus infection-wise, and seemed to have a bit more energy in spite of not sleeping.  Was still not hungry much, and apparently I am especially cooking-challenged today because even stuff I make all the time didn't taste good (until dinner, lol).

M1 (4:45 a.m.):  egg/zucchini muffin; iced org. decaf w/ 1/4 can coconut milk

8:30 a.m.:  Starbuck's Iced Americano w/ my own 1/4 can coconut milk

M2 (11:30 a.m.):  greens shake:  spinach, cucumber, frozen banana, egg white protein powder, coconut milk....this just didn't taste good to me, even after two tries (threw the first one out, then realized it's probably me, lol).  Tried to get it all down, but just couldn't drink the whole thing.

M3 (4:00 p.m.):  4 eggs, bacon ends, onion, red and orange bell peppers--this tasted good, lol.  Managed to eat the whole darned thing, and I'm not ashamed, LOL.

Day 43

(Sunday, May 4)

Slept better and longer, but the sinus thing felt much worse this morning and I felt nauseated when I got up.  I ended up just having a protein shake because thought of eating anything was turning my stomach.  That finally went away and since then I've had some veggie/chicken soup and am feeling pretty good.  I've been concentrating on getting in lots of water, and I think that's helping the nausea as long as I sip at it.  Did not walk to the Farmer's Market though...did not think I would make it there and back.  I really wanted some things, and now that I'm feeling a little better I may still attempt it

It's 10:50 a.m. and I've done all my cooking for the week and can now just relax.

M1 (5:15 a.m.):  protein shake (not to template I'm afraid):  egg white protein powder, frozen banana, slivered almonds, coconut milk, unsweetened cocoa powder.

M2 (10:30 a.m.):  back to template, yay!  Homemade chicken/cabbage soup:  chicken stock, chicken thigh, lots of cabbage and carrots, bacon, onions; 1 small apple.

M3 (3: 40 p.m.):  3 eggs, orange and red bell peppers, onions, bacon ends;  small pouch of frozen pureed watermelon.

Memorializing my SECOND attempt at Chicken Veggie Soup:

2 Large containers Stock Options frozen chicken stock

2 Packages chicken thighs (with bones and skin)

1 Package chicken thighs (no bones or skin)

2 Containers diced carrots

1 Large container shredded mixed cabbage

1/2 container diced onions

Bacon ends (diced)

Salt, garlic powder and water to cover all

Sauteed the bacon ends and onions to brown them up a bit with a little salt and garlic powder; added the stock, chicken and water and boiled until the chicken started to pull away from the bones.  Pulled out the chicken so it would cool enough to chop it, added the cabbage and carrots and a few more onions to the boiling broth...then added back the chopped chicken. 

When it was done to my preference, I ladled it into individual serving containers and added more cooked bacon ends to each one. 

Turned out great!

Day 44

(Monday, May 5)

Slept much better last night, at least I went back to sleep each time until around 2:40 ish.  Got up at 3:40.  Feeling slightly nauseated this morning, nothing serious, but I did have a small protein shake for my first meal.  And, I want to emphasize to anyone following along, that I'm not having these shakes because I'm in a hurry or don't want to follow the template, but because I have Gastroparesis and sometimes my stomach digestion slows down too much to handle even soft foods.

M1 (4:15 a.m.):  green shake:  spinach, frozen banana, egg white protein powder, 1/8 can coconut milk, filtered water to cover

M2 (6:30 a.m.):  veggie chicken soup (cabbage); 1 apple

M3 (11:00 a.m.):  chicken thigh meat, lots of butternut squash, ghee

I work with the absolute BEST people ever!  I have a co-worker who is gluten free--at one time there were four of us, now it's just us two.  She is the best baker ever and has perfected gluten-free baking.  I mentioned to her a couple of weeks ago that I was "giving up sugar"...well, she just sent me an email saying she had a brownie, but wanted to ask before she brought it over.  Yay!  In case you are wondering...I turned it down.  :)

M4 (5:00 p.m.):  another shake...long story

Day 45

(Tuesday, May 6)

Slept a little better again, though I got up three times to use the restroom--no more extra large travel mugs of chamomile tea before bed, lol.

M1 (4:00 a.m.):  small cup of chicken cabbage soup

M2 (6:30 a.m.):  chicken cabbage soup, 1 apple

M3 (11:40 a.m.):  chicken thigh (meat only), cauliflower, butternut squash, ghee

Snack:  someone at work brought me a Larabar (Chocolate Coconut Chew) which was all compliant so since I was hungry I had one.

M4 (?):  will probably have a shake...this seems to work well for sleeping as my body doesn't have to work so hard to digest a meal and since I go to bed so early.

Had a really weird allergy thing happening today...early in the day (between M2 and M3) I got this really persistent strong tickle in my throat which wouldn't go away by drinking liquids.  Then later in the day I got a really raspy voice and lots of sniffles and congestion (between M3 and M4).

Day 46

(Wednesday, May 7)

So much for the sleep theory, lol.  Went to bed at 8:30 last night, woke up at 11:30 and just could not go back to sleep.  I was either too cold, too hot or itchy.  Had that weird allergy thing going on yesterday at work at apparently it carried over into sleeping because I just itched all over, even after taking a Zyrtek around 6:15 p.m. or so.

M1 (4:00 a.m.):  small green shake:  egg white protein powder, lots of spinach, 1 small frozen banana, lite coconut milk

M2 (6:30 a.m.):  chicken cabbage soup, 1 apple

Snack:  Larabar - Chocolate Coconut Chew

M3 (11:15 a.m.):  chicken thigh meat, butternut squash, cauliflower, ghee; black olives

M4 (5:00 p.m.):  Eggs, artichoke bottoms and peppers with a little bacon

Day 47

(Thursday, May 8)

Slept better, just not long enough.  Still feel tired and like I haven't had enough sleep.  Stomach is still distended, so even though it doesn't necessarily feel like my stomach is slower than normal, I think it still is.

M1 (3:50 a.m.):  small green shake (these are very thick by the way):  frozen banana, spinach, egg white protein powder, D3 drops, lite coconut milk

M2 (6:30 a.m.):  chicken cabbage soup, 1 apple, 1 cup coffee w/ coconut milk (maybe iced)

M3 (11:30 a.m.):  chicken thigh meat, lots of broccoli w/ghee; black olives

M4 (4:45 p.m.):  another shake...stomach was so distended it wasn't funny

Day 48

(Friday, May 9)

Ugg, lol.  Wish I were home.  :rolleyes:

M1 (3:50 a.m.):  small green shake:  frozen banana, spinach, egg white protein powder, D3 drops, lite coconut milk

M2 (6:30 a.m.):  chicken cabbage soup, 1 apple, 1 cup iced coffee w/ coconut milk

M3 (11:15 a.m.):  chicken thigh meat, artichoke bottoms (lots); black olives

M4 (?):  ?   maybe sausage and broccoli

Archived