Itchy after alcohol reintro???

bpaynecos

Help! Did I fail my alcohol reintro? Last night was a friend's bday and other than red wine (kind of a lot of it), everything else was on Whole 30 guidelines (well, I ate the restaurant-made salad dressing that may have had sugar, but otherwise.....)

Today I am experiencing itching all over. And now that I think about it, that feeling used to be the norm for me. Just now recognizing that I hadn't been itchy over the last 30 days.

So, is it alcohol in general, red wine, tannins? Anyone with experience here? Thanks!

Nope. Not Asian. 

I'm not sure of what the dressing had in it.... I'll call and ask (because I'd like to get to the bottom of this). It was a "hip" type place, where they use a lot of local, fresh ingredients. I'm guessing that they don't put in anything that's too nasty, but it's worth looking into.

Interestingly I went to my naturopath today and she said wine naturally has histamines in them. On reading this article, it sounds like those shouldn't be the issue, and they suggest to test a sulfite allergy, to eat five dried apricots (which have more sulfites than wine would) and see how you react. http://www.drvino.com/2010/04/26/wine-sulfites-allergies-histamines-red-alcohol/

I'll give that a shot! Thanks all!

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a sort of rash with the itching? I recently tried a few sips of my husbands bourbon and ended up feeling very itchy on my stomach and torso with small red bumps. I've gotten this at other times, but this was by far the worst. I usually cannot figure out what causes it - I do get it when eating totally whole 30 - but this time I clearly felt it was this specific alcohol.

• 1 month later...
Guest WholeStanley

I used to always get an itchy back, chest and neck when I had night outs before - I used to put it down to hot house parties or nerves around meeting new people but as Whole30 has made me think about how what I put in my body effects me I think I'm coming to the realisation I might have a mild allergy to alcohol (although I wouldn't usually drink wine - I'm more of a vodka, rum or gin kind of girl). I'm interested to see what will happen during my alcohol reintro and if this reaction will be more pronounced

I had red wine as my first reintro and also had itching. 

interesting about the dried apricots.  I can't eat them ever, they kill my stomach so maybe it's sulfites. 

Archived