Teeth Pain

This is Day 5 for me in the Whole30 Program and as of Day 3 my teeth started to hurt. I am sure it means I am not getting enough of some vitamin as I decided not to take my multi vitamin or my co q 10 during this program.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what foods should I include to help stop the pain?

Sidenote: I was also very regular before starting this program and rarely ate meat due to how hard it was to find organic, pasture fed meat. However, I decided to make the effort and really search out the type of meat suggested in the whole 30 and in 5 days I have moved bowels 3 times? Before I moved bowels at least 3 times a day. Will this change and regulate itself? I haven't really eaten much fruit as the programs suggests laying off of the fruit, but should I add more to my meals?

Thank you!

I am not an expert but your digestion is changing. It is harder to digest protein, so many people also add probiotics and enzymes supplements to their diet. Make sure you are drinking lots of water, the recommendation is 1/2 an oz per pound of weight (so if you were 150 lbs you would drink 75 oz per day). Have you downloaded the meal planning template. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/16118-ok-that-post-workout-meal-is-breakfast/.   The suggestion is to limit fruit to 2 servings per day. If you don't want to have fruit you don't have to, it is up to you. I don't know about your teeth, have you tried a sensitive toothpaste?

I never thought about it being related, but my teeth bothered me the first couple of weeks too. I was quite congested, so maybe it's just that pressure. They're fine now. But you might try a toothpaste like sensodyne to see if that helps.

Thanks! I think you are right about my body having trouble with the protein, especially since I haven't eaten this much meat in years. I am chugging the water and I will look into the suggested enzymes and probiotics. I have reviewed the templates and I don't really miss the fruit. I do have a few blueberries with breakfast.

Yea the teeth pain is weird. I may not be getting enough vitamin d, or magnesium. I added some sea salt to meal 3 tonight to see if it helps. Not sure why my teeth would be so sensitive all of a sudden unless it's from a missing nutrient. Thanks for the feedback! The experiment continues....

• Moderators

I don't think you would experience a vitamin deficiency after 5 days and I don't think a lack of vitamins would show up as tooth pain. So basically, your tooth pain is probably related to something other than your vitamin status or what you are eating. 

Tina R is right about how your digestion changes as you start eating Whole30-style. If you are not used to eating meat, your gut bacteria is not ready to digest a lot of meat. Digestive enzymes can help while your gut grows the bacteria it needs to fully digest what you are eating. Not digesting efficiently would cause your bowel movements to change. 

Many people find that adding a starchy vegetable like sweet potato helps with bowel movements and it can't hurt. 

You can take vitamins during a Whole30. I quit taking a multivitamin after my first few months of Whole30-style eating because I decided I did not need it. That was almost 4 years ago now. I do take Vitamin D on days I don't get out in some sunshine. I also take magnesium and a few other specialty items, but I have never missed the multi.

Archived