Dairy -baffled

Skhathaway

After whole90, I'm in the process of reintroducing dairy. Two weekends ago a dollop of homemade sour cream gave me a splitting headache. Last weekend's cheese gave me the same headache and very painful stomach cramps. Today I tried ice cream. Not just plain vanilla, but also some (ok, a lot) of my daughter's sundae. While I felt full, almost uncomfortable, I've been totally fine otherwise. My daughter says," why are you upset that you can eat ice cream? That's good, isn't it?" Lol. Maybe :-). But I don't get why the organic, local dairy made me sick and foggy for days and the over the top ice cream didn't. Could I be building a dairy tolerance? Any similar experiences?

Possibly the sour cream had something in it?  Maybe carageenan?  And possibly the cheese had something in it that you reacted to?  This is totally a shot in the dark, of course, but I'm kinda guessing you reacted to things other than the milk product itself, since you had varying reactions.  That said, I've seen here on the forums that folks may tolerate some forms of dairy while feeling horrible with other forms of dairy.  Which ones people react to seem pretty individual.

But first, I'd look for added ingredients and see if that might account for the difference.  (Also, congrats on being able to enjoy the ice cream!  Heh)

I'm lactose intolerant and it seemed to get worse after my whole 30.  There was a post recently about being more sensitive to foods that you previously were a little sensitive to and the reasoning behind it.

Since my digestion has improved greatly, I'm in no hurry to reintroduce dairy on a large scale.  It was causing me more problems that I realized.  The only dairy I'm consuming is a little cream in my tea in the morning.

As a side note, I've seen carageenan in organic dairy products.  That surprised me.  Keep reading the labels!

Archived