Sugar dragon slays the demons of depression

For the most part, I'm a fairly even keeled person, but now and then, I'm subject to bouts of depression / unhappiness.  I got smacked with one that lasted a number of days, and finally, I used a strategy that's been effective in the past.  I had a lot of carbs and junk food.  I ate what I wanted all day.  I felt my mood starting to lift by the end of day, and as of this morning, I feel better, and it's a real relief.  Anyone else have a similar issue?  What do you do when food that's not especially good for you is the only thing that shifts your mood?

hmm, yes, many people turn to carbs and junk food to temporaily lift mood, and it does have some effect, at least in the short-term. That's why people do it! For most people, this isn't a real solution. They need to try to find other, more long lasting ways to address their emotional issues. If you have bouts of depression that are not caused by emotional issues but instead caused by going too low carb by accident (just guessing here)? Then eating some carbs might be a real solution to feeling better. A good way to test this theory would be to eat sweet potatoes, pumpkin, squash, etc. instead of junk and sugar, and see if that helps in a similar way.

Assuming all of the above is true for you, if it were me, I would make a concerted effort to include starchy vegetable carbs regularly, rather than letting it get to this point.

Been there . . . sorry to hear you are on that particular rollercoaster.  Not fun.

I agree with missmary.  I have long struggled with depression and have found that with a paleo approach I need to be careful my carbs don't dip too low.  The times when I've limited my carbs (below 80) I struggle with mood after 4-5 weeks, which sends me running for sugar etc.  I have had much more success with managing mood and staying on track with paleo when I take a higher carb approach (think root veggies) my mood is more even keel.  My understanding is that it is related to serotonin production and other hormonal balance related issues.

There are some who argue that a very low carb diet (i.e. 50 or less) is often not optimal for the female body for a number of reasons.  I don't know whether that is true or not, but thought I would mention it.

Sugar and wheat consumption have both been linked to depression . .. something to think about.

I have a similar issue.  Lack of carbs makes me really cranky.  I added sweet potatoes and acron squash.  In addition, I eat a peice of fruit every day.  That seems to keep crankiness at bay.  My carbs are typically between 75-100g a day. I'm not specifically trying to go low carb, it just has turned out that way given what I like to eat.

Archived