Gallbladder Attack - Can I stick with Whole 30?

I am on day 13 of my second Whole 30, and I have realized I have a gallbladder issue. I am in near constant pain, made worse by eating. I've been reading about dietary management of gallbladder issues and how to avoid gallbladder removal. All suggestions are essentially a very low fat pescatarian diet. No eggs (!!!), no saturated fat. I was gluten free and mostly dairy free 6+ years before W30. I've read forum posts from people who have no gallbladder and have done Whole 30 successfully. I'm heading to dr tomorrow but want to be as well armed as possible - do not want to lose my gallbladder. In the meantime I'm hungry! I'm good with veggies but can't stomach fish 3x a day and not sure my gallbladder can handle the protein anyway. What to do? Quit the Whole 30? Looked at the veg option but the protein sources are still an issue. Is it really Whole 30 compliant if I am doing low fat and no protein?

To my knowledge, gallbladder pain is caused by eating fat, not protein. The pain happens when your GB contracts to release bile to aid in digestion of fat. If there is a blockage, that's when you have pain. 

Before and during my January Whole30, I was experiencing abdominal pain that I was sure was related to my gallbladder. I managed to stay compliant while eating very little fat. I ate extra lean protein (mostly chicken breasts) and starchy veggies, and some coconut fats since they are mostly MCTs that do not trigger the GB. Eating very little fat is definitely less than ideal. I had energy issues, especially considering that I was also breastfeeding, sleeping terribly, and exercising. However, I didn't think returning to a SAD and its litany of less-than-optimal foods was going to help me in any way.

Anyway, I was 100% sure it was my gallbladder, and so were my GP and gastroenterologist until a HIDA scan ruled it out. I had plenty of risk factors - my identical twin sister has had hers out, my GB ultrasound showed abnormalities, GB issues are common post-pregnancy, and my pain was in the RUQ, radiated to my back, and immediately followed meals. They were all set to do an endoscopy when I figured out what the problem was myself. Turns out I picked up food intolerances following my pregnancy. Once I eliminated eggs and onions from my diet, my pain disappeared. So you never know - even if all signs point to the gallbladder, it could easily be something else.

I would check with your doctor. When I had a gallbladder attach it was immediately after I ate a large meal. The pain lasted about 4 hours but wasn't constant. Everyone is different. If it is your gallbladder you may want to use digestive enzymes and other supplements to help digest fat. I Take Hydro-Zyme and Beta TCP.

You might want to search Paleo and Gallbladder for information about how to deal with gallbladder issues. Good Luck!

• 4 years later...

my great grandmother died when her gallbladder exploded.

my grandmother died shortly after gallbladder surgery.

my gallbladder has caused me issues since I was 16.

I have tried everything short of surgery. 

I have had minor gallbladder attack symptoms on whole 30, but as a consequence I have been expelling a manageable amount of gallstones daily since I have upper my fat intake.

this is a wonderful symptom of eating fat...I an hoping that,although I am in minor discomfort , (back pains) the idea that my body is correcting its natural balance on it's own because of my dietary choices is amazing!

Archived