Starting 3/24 Lets do this and change!

EJSmadhatter

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No rebellious stomach issue, but still a slight headache.

Can't lie - I am kind of excited about my dry rubbed pork ribs and sweet potato fries tonight. I am going to start with two nice sized ribs and portion of fries - make sure I drink lots of water and ENJOY my dinner and then listen to my body. If I want more ribs because I am actually hungry than I will have another and if not I will brew some mint tea and cuddle on the couch with my fiancé.

But I may add broccoli to my dinner for something green!

Nice job everyone. 

I didn't leave myself enough time to day to eat a proper breakfast, but I did manage to do my PT, some core exercises and some time on the spin bike and walking on treadmill (woo hoo).  I grabbed handful of cashews and chicken breast out the door on way to PT. I then had to hurry to work and was starving so grabbed a little leftover steak and ate a bunch of carrots. So not SO bad but not ideal because I wasn't really sitting down to enjoy my meal.  

Rest of the day:

Lunch: roasted chicken with side of asparagus-zuchhini stirfy

Dinner: broccoli soup and eggplant lasagne

I hope not to snack any more. 

I've been fortunate to not have too bad of a time with side effects thus far other than a little GI rumblings. I've also got my water with lemon to drink today and a white pomegranate tea bag for mid-afternoon.

Have a great day everyone.

Sorry about your crummy tummy firsttimer! This too shall pass! Whether you have a virus, or your body is rejecting real food, it will improve. It sounds like you are doing the right things to manage it. Hang in there! I promise that it gets easier!

My food today wasn't as exciting as some of what I've read from you guys. I guess I'll have to up my game! Lol.

Breakfast

diced sweet potatoes and 2 hard boiled eggs

Lunch

Broccoli & Cauliflower  florettes

All natural chicken sausages that I found at Wegmans

Banana

Dinner will be

grilled chicken breast strips (broiled if its still snowing uggggg)

roasted brussel sprouts

Keep it up!!!!

I'm SO FULL after lunch.

Palm sized lamb chop, asparagus with a wee bit of olive oil, lemon and some gauc with raw garlic (maybe 3 tbsp)

I really do love feeling full and in control. After years of food addiction Paleo/whole30 is freedom.

Hello!  I just started Whole30 yesterday for my first time!  I'm so excited and really hope I see some results!  I have a few questions for those of you who can help.  Is Whole30 exactly like the Paleo diet?  Can anyone recommend a really good website for recipes?  I'm finding it hard to flavour food with just spices, what else can I use?  Sorry, I'm so new to all of this!  I appreciate any and all help!  Cheers, Jess

Hi JessWess:
Welcome!  Paleo has many similarities to Whole 30 BUT the Whole 30 starts with eliminating all sugar, grains, dairy, and soy. The websites

Whole9.com

Whole30.com 

are chock full of information and I'd highly recommend you read through it all. 

There are many great recipes at:

The Clothes Makes the Girl

Nom Nom Paleo

To find recipes, I often google Whole30 ___________ (fill in blank with food you have or are planning to buy - if its on sale if you're like me) and find lots of yummy recipes.

I flavor food with spices, herbs, infused EVOO, garilc, himalayan sea salt, pepper, lemon among other things.

Ahh, day two.  The only thing I'm really missing badly is something to drink with some flavor.  Last night I was craving a Diet Dr. Pepper and it has pretty much continued into today.  I also started experiencing a headache around 10:00 AM.  I assume it's from no caffeine.  No soda, no morning mocha.  I'm also more tired than normal but expect that will change in time.  Other than that all is well.  I've enjoyed cooking up new recipes and they taste great!

Uggggggg. I spoke too soon! Holy gas pains! I think I'll save the Brussels sprouts for tomorrow! Lol!

JessWess try roasting vegetables in the oven with olive oil onion garlic and salt. I can't believe the flavor difference! Check out diff. Websites suggested above! You'll find tons of good food. Might take your palate a minute to adjust.

So it's 6:30pm here and dinner is 40 minutes away and I HAD to pop a few kale chips in my mouth. (compliant of course)

So, maybe someone can answer me this - when can you tell your hungry? I never get stomach pains but about an hour ago I got light headed and started yawning. I also think it would take me several days alone on an island to eat steamed fish and broccoli....

So it's 6:30pm here and dinner is 40 minutes away and I HAD to pop a few kale chips in my mouth. (compliant of course)

So, maybe someone can answer me this - when can you tell your hungry? I never get stomach pains but about an hour ago I got light headed and started yawning. I also think it would take me several days alone on an island to eat steamed fish and broccoli....

If the steamed fish and broccoli example isn't working for you, use another bland protein/veg combo that does.

Hunger cues can vary. For me, I start feeling a space in my stomach that is urging me to fill it. I can get tired and irritable too.

If you're not sure whether something is a hunger cue and it's between meals, drink a glass of water or cup of coffee or tea. If that works, great. otherwise, have a mini meal containing a protein and fat.

The dry rubbed ribs were BOMB. I did end up eating 3 but took a moment between 2 and 3 to drink some water, make conversation and listen to my body to see if it was still hungry. It was so I ate it. Now I am comfortably full, happy and ending my day 2 on a great note.

Tomorrow: Gym!

OMG I am so frustrated. I ended up working in my car all day instead of my employers house and I had to go out for an emergency lunch. Well I got something(s) that weren't compliant. I had to resend it back because it was the wrong order, ie bread, cheese, et all. So when I got it I am wondering if they just didn't use the same burger with every thing, wiped off and not remade it. I know I got something because I got stomach ache and gas. My restrictions are more than the Whole30. I can't have garlic or onions which I feel it also had in seasoning. Anyway I am going to have to go back to day 1. So pissed. I want to make sure that I do 30 days absolutely clean.

So anyway, otherwise I did start to feel better during the day.

Bummer EJSmadhatter - but know you were trying to be true to the Whole 30 and already seeing benefits. You can do it. 

Another note on snacking - didn't do great last night. I ate my soup and felt full before I headed home, but then got home and felt hungry. I heated up the eggplant lasagne I had planned for the rest of dinner but then ate cashews instead (several heaping handfuls). So while the nuts were technically compliant, my eating the cashews were probably a psychological response - so no more cashews or nuts for me. I'm not starting over, per se, but will probably do a Whole 30. I figure that 10 days of working through issues and then 30 days to establish and maintain good eating habits will be a good fit for me. The biggest challenges for my first 10 days is probably adjusting portions and snacking.

Today's plan:

eggplant lasagna for breakfast + 2 mandarins

chicken with 40 cloves of garlic + mashed cauliflower

chicken + broccoli soup for dinner

FYI: what I have been working to do is cook big batches on the weekends (e.g., roasting veggies, meats, etc) or cook extra when I do cook meals during the week. Then I put them into Gladware or ziploc bags and freeze them so I have my own pre-made frozen dinners and can grab a meat to thaw out quickly for those days I don't have time to cook. 

Have a great day everyone. 

I've been reading everyone's posts and the food you are eating makes my mouth water.  I'm going to have to try some of your ideas.  Last night I tried Kale for the first time.  It was a Kale and Sausage bake. The sausage was scrumptious  but the Kale not so much.  It was edible though.

Last night I added some lemon juice to my water and I didn't have the craving for carbonated soda that I had the night before.  Yay!

Yesterday I was so, so very tired.  This morning I woke up full of energy.  I hope it lasts!  Good luck to everyone on our day three!

I'm concerned about dinner tonight.  When I planned out my week of meals I forgot I will be at a get together at a friends place with snacks this evening.  My baked salmon isn't going to happen so I need to come up with a quick and easy solution.

So I actually feel ok considering what happened yesterday. I did feel like crap last night and had a hard time sleeping but I was able to finally get so solid sleep after 1am. Not happy when my alarm went off at 6. Breakfast was a little hard to get down but I did ok.

So today's food

Lamb shoulder chop with carrots & saurkraut 

Ground lamb with veggie sticks and 1/2 apple

Turkey with Salad

Asian turkey stir fry.

I am going to make sure that I bring food with me if I have to do a lot of driving again today. Hopefully not. My sugar cravings are pulling at me today. I really want a hamburger and fries.. ohh and some fried pickles with ranch. Oh well. I can't wait til these cravings get less. Right now the voice is pretty loud. 

Hope everyone's Day 2 went great and happy day 3

Went to the gym to get a good workout in and they are CLOSED for cleaning until the 29th!! ^%(@)#@

But I went on an hour walk with my doggie. Good brisk one. The amazing thing is I am not hungry after my walk! Usually lugging around 280 *yikes* pounds during a workout or a walk makes me hungry but not today. Felt a good energy, took a shower and am waiting an hour before lunch. 

I feel good today and my headache and bloating are minimal. Today I got a day off because clients didn't book (yay) so I don't have much planned. Even eating left overs for dinner. 

I really wish I could have some gum. All of this extra meat and garlic and onions leaves me feeling like i have a rotting corpse in my mouth and makes me crave sweets even more. I feel like chewing would satisfy some of my behavioral needs for snacking. I probably should just try to remember to bring a toothbrush to work.

NoelleD I would try to eat a small meal or salad before you go to your get-together this evening and then if you can bring a compliant snack to share so you don't have to sit and watch everyone eat. I can't think of anything other than nuts or veggies of the top of my head, but I'm sure you could find something on-line. Good luck! Always best to plan ahead! I'm learning that the key to making good choices and success in Whole 30 is good planning!!!!

Day 3. Still in it :-). Definitely still having stomach issues but not as bad. May have narrowed it down to the black coffee. Avoided that today and stomach feels better but now I have caffeine headache. Overall feel okay otherwise. Still excited. Dinner last night was great - spaghetti squash with crushed tomatoes and chicken "breaded" in cashews and herbs. Really good. My first time eating squash. :-)

I started 7 days ago for the second whole 30.  Last time I was discouraged by what seemed like weight gain (I wasn't stepping on scale but my clothes were tighter).  I came to realize over the 30 days that weight was not as important to me as health.  It's just a number.  I have upped my workout routine and am feeling better.  

I have seen more things that need to change since the last whole 30 and am more careful.  I'm also re-reading "It starts with food".  It is different reading it again after going through the whole thing.  I'm glad to find others who want to encourage and support each other!  My husband is still all about the Frosted Flakes...

Today I just feel like I have a tapeworm!

Archived