Starting 3/24 Lets do this and change!

EJSmadhatter

Any idea of good sugar-free breakfast meats? All of mine have natural sugars on them. 

I took picture of my first start day in the mirror this morning and having a starting weight. Other than that I am going to trust my body and my instincts that this is the right plan for me. I have had a food addiction and bad relationship with calorie counting, weight and and then bingeing since I was in high school -- I know I have good intuition to what my body needs and I am going to learn to take these 30 days and trust my body again. 

I am also going to go get some chicken thighs and bake this afternoon to eat with eggs in the morning. Any other ideas for sugar less morning meats? 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay - I started today as well!  I'm totally new to this - first time doing a Whole30, Paleo, etc.  Really excited - but know that might wear off as the weeks go by.  I'm really looking forward to the health improvements most people see.  Think it would be really helpful to have others like the posters here all on the same schedule to support each other!  

Be strong and stay away from the scale!!! I promise, if you stick with the program, you wont need a scale to tell you that your body is changing. Your clothes will fit differently! Most importantly, you will feel better!

I struggle with the three meals thing in the first couple of days as I wean off the sugar. I don't do well if I'm starving, my mind cannot function. So I bring little containers of veggies and nuts to help stave me between meals until my body regulates. Is that hugely wrong?

I am not sure either. I have to eat more than the 3 meals just because of my hypoglycemia. I would say try eating more at your meals and see if that helps. The meal where you will have the longest time between meals maybe add a higher carb veggie.  I would also still bring those extra snacks just in case because I know myself and I would be more likely to cheat if I got hungry and didn't have them. I hope that helps 

Any idea of good sugar-free breakfast meats? All of mine have natural sugars on them. 

I took picture of my first start day in the mirror this morning and having a starting weight. Other than that I am going to trust my body and my instincts that this is the right plan for me. I have had a food addiction and bad relationship with calorie counting, weight and and then bingeing since I was in high school -- I know I have good intuition to what my body needs and I am going to learn to take these 30 days and trust my body again. 

I am also going to go get some chicken thighs and bake this afternoon to eat with eggs in the morning. Any other ideas for sugar less morning meats? 

I know applegate has some things but I am not sure about which ones have sugars. When I get home I will post the recipe for a Turkey breakfast sausage that I make with out the maple syrup. It is really good and easy to make.

Be strong and stay away from the scale!!! I promise, if you stick with the program, you wont need a scale to tell you that your body is changing. Your clothes will fit differently! Most importantly, you will feel better!

I struggle with the three meals thing in the first couple of days as I wean off the sugar. I don't do well if I'm starving, my mind cannot function. So I bring little containers of veggies and nuts to help stave me between meals until my body regulates. Is that hugely wrong?

Veggies and nuts between meals is technically compliant.

However, a better option, if you're genuinely hungry in between your main meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), is to have a mini-meal containing a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Another thing to look at if you're hungry in between meals: play with your portion sizes of protein, veg and fat at your earlier meals until your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours. Use the recommended meal template as your guide.

You have a boat load of options.  

First, stop thinking of the first meal as breakfast, and think of it instead as "meal 1."  You have all sorts of leftover meals to choose from, plus grass fed ground beef, poultry and seafood.  For example, I had leftover pork tenderloin for breakfast this morning, with mashed cauliflower with clarified butter as my veg and fat.

Hey everyone! I started today and so far, so good :) My husband left with the military for 2 months, so I'm taking this time to worry about me and my health. Plus, it'll be nice to look good when he gets back!

I have a lunch date with a friend tomorrow, but I'm looking over the menu and I'll call the restaurant tomorrow. I have 3 different luncheons to push through in the next month and I'm a little scared. 

Goals:

1) See fitness gains. I've been working so hard at the gym, but I'm not seeing what I should. Hopefully cleaning up my food will show me some results.

2) Lose weight. Of course. 

3) Acne because I shouldn't have gray hair and zits. Not fair!

You have a boat load of options.  

First, stop thinking of the first meal as breakfast, and think of it instead as "meal 1."  You have all sorts of leftover meals to choose from, plus grass fed ground beef, poultry and seafood.  For example, I had leftover pork tenderloin for breakfast this morning, with mashed cauliflower with clarified butter as my veg and fat.

Thats true!

I couldnt find sugar free bacon (poop) but got chicken thighs I am going to bake to eat for breakfast and also some apple gate organic hotdogs that were sugar free. 

So far I am holding strong on the first day - not even that hungry! I am going to the gym for a nice workout tomorrow so we will see if I need a snack. 

So whats the deal with snacking? We are allowed to snack? Snack only if your hungry?

So whats the deal with snacking? We are allowed to snack? Snack only if your hungry?

Try not to snack if you can help it.  However if you are truly hungry in between meals (per the definition of hunger I posted above), then have a mini-meal containing a protein and fat.  You want to avoid snacking mindlessly or out of habit.

Agree that considering breakfast as Meal 1 leaves many more options. I had eggplant lasagna for breakfast this morning. I was still hungry so I also ate apple with sunbutter on it. I may have eaten too much but did find that I wasn't hungry until lunch (often a problem, esp if I workout).  That being said, I also love to make a crustless mexican quiche (eggs+shredded zucchini+onions+red peppers+green chiles+spices). If i have time, I add pico de gallo + avocado on top for breakfast. If I make 1 panful of quiche, it lasts me at least 4 days. 

Having a craving for soda, although I have successfully given that up several months ago (woo hoo). So I'm having cranberry pomegranate hot tea to satisfy that craving. 

GOALS:

1. Slay the food demons (carbs, sugar, cheese). Eliminate processed food (at least those with ingredients I cannot pronounce).

2. Some exercise 5 times/week even if just stretching. Building back up cardio.

3. Feel better overall. Hopefully get rid of random headaches, acne, stomach distress. 

So far so good today. Steak salad for lunch. Broccoli soup+chicken for dinner. I have Brussels sprouts + chicken for snack if need as it's a long day at work for me today.

Cheers and Let's Do This.

Glad to have the support.

I should add to the GOALS list to slay the snacking demons.  Snacking has been one of my biggest downfalls. In terms of slaying the food demons, my goal really should be to Engage in Mindful Eating,.

Hi there! Chiming in to tell EJSmadhatter that I'm still around and following posts! I am not doing another strict Whole30 but rather am working on maintaining clean eating as a whole. It's all about understanding and changing my eating habits at this point for me. But I'm happy to root for others!!! Woohooo! Go!

I found the Whole30 to be a good catalyst for change. I hope everyone has a good month!

Suzie

Hello all!  So, this has been a strange day.  Not feeling good to start with and actually got sick after lunch.  But, I'm determined not to derail, even with that.  Making some chocolate chili on the stove right now, even though I probably won't eat much, I'll use the leftovers.  Definitely not hungry today.  

GOALS: 
-Eat healthier and become more in-tune with my body (listen to fullness cues, no mindless eating)

-Reduce asthma symptoms and heel pain

-Lose weight to increase stamina for running/kickboxing I already participate in

-Eat vegetables (I currently eat almost NONE - I don't like anything).  I am a total anti-veggie person, so if anyone has really tasty recipes I'm open to try anything since I have to eat them!!

Ah, snacking out of habit -- thats something I need to break too. 

I think I had a snack today (grapes and raw almonds) because I was "rewarding myself" for being done with my clients for the day. 

As I am half way through my grapes and actually not hungry...

I gotta try this chocolate chili everyone is raving about!

Yes!! Please post the recipe for turkey breakfast sausage -- NOM NOM

So firsttimer:

Sorry you don't like veggies - I'm lucky cuz' I do so including them isn't that hard (but not eating a lot of fruit is). Regardless, think outside the box or the salad with veggies. Veggies don't have to be whole or stir-fried. Some ideas to flavor and change up veggies:

• curried broccoli, cauliflower, or butternut/carrot soups
  • put shredded zuchinni or spinach into an omelet. 
  • cauliflower-garlic mash
  • dip veggies in an eggplant baba ganoush, cauliflower hummus, or garlic mayo
  • cauliflower "rice"
  • roasted veggies are awesome - drizzle with a little EVOO, salt, pepper, and maybe lemon or garlic. It changes the flavor of most veggies
  • dice veggies small into your spaghetti sauce or food process them and put them into ground beef for mexcian or italian dishes. 

I too need to try this chocolate chili.  I did snack on some carrots a little mindlessly today - but they were carrots at least. 

Those sound so good. I am not feeling well today. It started after lunch when I just got exhausted and a little nauseous. I am sure part of it is coming off the caffeine. I did about 2 weeks of it. I may do a sweet potato tonight and see if that makes me feel better. 

My food today:

Buffalo burger with broccoli

Greek lamb meatballs with green beans

Ground beef with raw carrot, celery, jicama, and cucumber with 1/2 C of mixed berries

Turkey breast with salad (romaine, carrots, radish, purple cabbage & dressing evo, apple cider vinegar, herb de provenance, & ground mustard)

Good morning!

I slept a lot last night. Guessing from 9:30 - 7

Hoping to make it to the gym this afternoon but I am not going to be too hard on myself. Tomorrow I am absolutely going

My breakfast was smaller than usual - so was my dinner. Ususally I eat a full lamb chop but last night I ate little less than 3/4 and wasn't hungry until this morning. 

My bloating is down a lot - I can feel it in my tummy. Also my headache is gone. 

We are making dry rubbed pork ribs with sweet potato fries tonight - score!!!

Hoping to not mindlessly snack or reward myself with food today, but if I do snack it is because I would eat steamed fish and broccoli (um....ribeye, please?)

I had a dream last night that I was eating some chocolate chip pancakes that my kids hadnt finished and I felt panicked for mindlessly breaking my plan so soon. It was thankfully just a dream, but it pointed out how often I put things in my mouth just because it is there. I made some cookies with my daughter last night and had to stop myself numerous times from tasting the batter. Its so instinctual for me to lick the spoon when I'm done. What a horrible habit.

My kids complained last night because they learned that I am doing Whole 30 again. I let them eat their usuals for breakfast snack and lunch, but I make 1 dinner, Whole30 compliant. They are not so appreciative of my efforts to teach them healthy eating. 29 more days of whiny dinners to go! lol. I'm trying to educated them as I go, hopefully they'll adapt eventually.

Keep up the good work team!

Yay we made it to Day 2. I am starting my day of with yummy turkey bone broth. My body is smiling with each sip. I really feel like crap today. It is amazing how sick 2 weeks of cheating with old habits can get you. I want to say I am sicker than I was on the 1st Whole30. Last night I had the worst headache. I was starving before bedtime but I could barely eat. I had 3 bites of ground turkey & 1/3 of a thin sweet potato.  It made me feel somewhat better. My body is hurting though, especially my back.

I am going to make some beef bone broth as well.

I was wondering if anyone is having problems with the link in day 2 newsletter to view the Whole30 timeline. It says error page not found?

Today's Food:

Breakfast Turkey Sausage, sauté swiss chard, 1/8 of sweet potato

Ground beef with veggies (carrot, celery, cucumber, jicama)

Turkey with Salad greens & Italian dressing

Lamb chop with broccolini

Fruit will be granny smith & grapes that are divided with the meals

Here is the recipe for the Breakfast Turkey Sausage:

1 pound of ground turkey

1 teaspoon of dried sage

½ teaspoon of dried thyme

Salt & pepper to taste (I used ½ teaspoon salt & ¼  teaspoon of pepper)

Combine it all together and form in to what ever size or shape you want.  I did 2 oz mini patties and pan fried them for about 3 mins per side until they were done. I have also formed them into sausage links and baked them at 350 for about 20-30 mins until done.

Everyone have a great Day 2 and hang in there if you are feeling sick, it will pass. Make some bone broth because it helps

I slept so much last night! 

I went to bed around 9:30-10pm and finally got out of bed at 7:30 when I usually get up at 4:30. I woke up with a cough and sinus pressure. I have a feeling I have a cold coming on, so I skipped the gym. My goal is to go 3x this week, so I'm not too worried about missing it :)

Yesterday was a good day and I really wasn't hungry.

1) Eggs, spinach, bell pepper omelette with 1/4 grapefruit and 1/2 avocado

2) Ground beef and butternut squash hash with sauteed swiss chard and pine nuts

-Banana in between because I forgot to grab it for lunch

3) Grilled chicken, broccoli, and sweet potato

I drank my coffee black for breakfast, had some tea after lunch, and drank sparkling water with dinner. 

Archived