Eggs, eggs and more eggs

namtrag

Does anyone else eat as many eggs as my wife and I? Since starting Whole30, we are eating between us about 6-7 dozen per week. Just for breakfast, I eat 4 and she eats 2, every morning. Throw in a frittata and a couple of dinners with eggs when we are rushed, and the dozens add up!

I am wondering if there is any downside, but I am going to trust that my cholesterol profile will actually be better next time I get labs done. I always have had low hdl, and am hoping to get it up to the normal range.

• Moderators

I have gone for years eating 4-5 eggs per day. My cholesterol is consistently high, but it was high before I started eating lots of eggs too because I have a genetic predisposition towards high cholesterol. Following conventional dietary guidelines never helped lower my numbers.

I try to never eat eggs more than once per day unless I am eating a boiled egg as a pre-workout meal or adding a boiled egg to tuna salad to increase protein content after I have had eggs for breakfast because I want to maintain variety in my diet. Eating eggs for a meal once per day is already a lot of sameness without doing it twice per day. I try to keep cycling among the great variety of meats, fish, and poultry the good earth offers us. 

• Moderators

I think the general wisdom about eggs and cholesterol is bunk. So, from that point of view, I say eat eggs with gusto. However, I also believe that overeating any single food isn't great. It can lead to the development of food sensitivities or allergies; plus, diversity of food intake leads to better nutrition.

I generally eat about six eggs per week. My go-to protein in a pinch is canned fish, and I try to keep other pre-cooked proteins like bangers or meat balls from various ground meats and chicken thighs. Always having something to grab (that isn't always the same thing) is the secret for me!

Thanks guys.  One factor causing us to eat a lot of eggs is economics.  $4 per dozen for local eggs (delivered to my office weekly by the farmer, who is a friend of a co-worker) can't be beat!  Much much cheaper per meal than any other protein source that I can find.  Basically, even if we eat 6 a day between us, that's $2 for one meal.

I understand the possibility of allergies, and we do eat  a wide variety of proteins at other meals.  I wish in some ways we didn't love eggs so much.

At one time when I was into bodybuilding, I did a keto diet for about 3 months and I was eating 10 eggs a day, every day.  My total cholesterol was high, at about 215, but my hdl was at its all time high of 60, making my ldl/hdl ratio much better than it has ever been.

Last time I had it checked, I had 180 total and only 35 hdl, which is really crappy.

I try not to eat too many eggs as I have coeliac disease and try to follow an AIP, but they are great for emergencies. Got boiled eggs with me as my protein for lunch today, as there is too much month left at the end of the money so no other protein available in my house!!

Eggs are an easy go-to for me as well, especially when I take the time to boil a dozen for the week. But then I realized I needed to buy two dozen for the week because I was using the boiled ones for lunches and pre-wo meals, and didn't have any for normal egg stuff. 

Anyone remember that old jingle? "I love eggs, from head down to my legs...the incredible edible egg!"....errrr, or something like that....

I eat at least three eggs a day, sometimes more.  We have our own hens.  So it's (almost) free, really good food!  I haven't gotten my cholesterol done lately (since my whole 30).  I'm interested to see what it is.

Archived