Looking for some support

Hi all, I'm on day 24 and usually feeling pretty good at this point (at least relative to how I used to feel, no tigerblood though) but today is just not a good day.I didn't sleep well and I'm just feeling really discouraged and anxious about what I'm going to do after my whole30 ends. 

I'm significantly overweight- 225lbs, 5'7" and I've been a chronic dieter for over 3 years now - usually weight watchers/calorie counting and a brief stint following the "Sugar Busters" method.  I'm worried that I won't lose weight, or God forbid I will gain weight by the time this is over.  I'm a true scale addict (my husband had to hide the scale from me this month) and I'm worried if I don't see numbers I'm hoping for that I'll fall off and start binging again - because that's what chronic dieting/failing has created in me.

I've tried looking for some advice or encouragement here, but it looks like most of the people who express concerns about weightloss only need to lose 10-30lbs.  I have a hard time relating to their "ditch the scale and follow how your body feels" theory because I have such a significant amount to lose and I'm worried that if I do that I'll never get healthy - which I know sounds ridiculous.

I'm sure I'm just in a funk because I couldn't sleep last night and that I'll feel better tomorrow, but I'd appreciate any advice or encouragement.

You and I are about the same height and weight - and I agree, asking someone who is significantly overweight to just not worry about it is probably not realistic.

That being said, I'm on day 7 and my pants are already getting baggy. Have you noticed any difference in how your clothes fit? Ultimately, how you look is going to be more important than the number on the scale anyway.

Are you worried that because you're not starving all the time that it must not work for weight loss? I'm having thise moments too, but honestly, what I was doing BEFORE wasn't working for weight loss either and I'm a lot happier and healthier doing this.

Hang in there!!

You're right, my pants are fitting a little looser so I know I AM making progress, I just need to be patient with myself.

I think I've just been  trying to lose weight for so long, and I've flipped between programs so many times, that I just get frustrated quickly if I don't see instant results.  I usually end up quitting or cheating on a program after a couple weeks and that results in losing and gaining the same 5 - 10lbs over and over for the past 2 years. :-\

This is definitely the best I've felt about my relationship with food in a long time, so I know I want to continue this for the long run.  but sometimes I get trapped in my own head and start to doubt myself because I've said the same thing about making "healthy lifestyle changes" in the past (WW, Sugar Busters, etc).

Yes do hang in there!!!!

I'm 5'9" also in around 225lbs (haven't weighed myself in a while so I actually don't know for sure)

Yes pay attention to how clothes fit, energy, how you feel, etc as good markers on your success.  Are you always going to have "those days"  yes. you will.  But I have been at it for a year and a half now (4 whole 30's/80/20 paleo inbetween) and I'm using my health as my guide here.

Would I still like to loose weight? yes about another 30lbs or so.  But in the last year I kind of sort of plateaued.  I am getting stronger - I have muscles and I am doing some things I never have done before so I think I'm progressing.  Fat has been leaving, and muscle has been building.  So that's a good thing.  Inflamtion is leaving my body and my hormones are doing much better (but still recovering) my biggest thing is that after having chronic menstral migraines for years - I now have them under control for the most part simply by what I eat.

This is definitely the best I've felt about my relationship with food in a long time, so I know I want to continue this for the long run. 

^Use this realization to keep you motivated.

Consider the Whole30 as the start of what may be multiple Whole30s until you reach your goal weight.   How special would it be to not only lose weight but to permanently change your relationship with food?

Maybe one way to start is to not look at this as another "chronic diet".  Declare some reasons (write them down if you need to) why this way of eating and being will be different for you this time (starting with the one I quoted at the beginning of this post). 

And breathe.  :) Take it one day at a time, do controlled reintroductions for anything you might want to eat again or that you're curious about in terms of your reaction. Then decide if doing another Whole30 is the next best course of action for you.

I am 60 years old, 5' 10 tall and weigh around 250lbs. I have been a yo-yo dieter for almost 40 years and a daily weigher for much of that time. I have books and spreadsheets of my weights going back years. Last year my scales broke and I didn't replace them. I was fed up with letting a number dictate how my day went. I knew when my trousers or tops were too tight and that is what matters. Also I know what my waist measurement is and what I would like it to be. 

If your clothes are looser you are heading in the right direction. Losing what we need to lose won't happen overnight - it's probably a two year journey. I'm in for the long haul. I don't want the end of my life to be a continuing round of weight gains and losses. This time it's for ever (however long that may be!). 

Stick with it and keep posting on here. 

Archived