sugar creeping back into my diet!

I have recently completed my first whole 30, felt great, hardly ever hungry, headaches gone, stomach ache every morning gone.

However now the 'restriction' of the whole 30 is over, I find myself creeping sugary things back into my diet.

just now I went to buy a pack of wine gums and a chocolate bar (out of boredom, not hunger) and mindlessly ate it. 

Any advice to break these behaviours? :(

I agree with AllyB.  Cut out sugar in all forms again.  If you need more flexibility than whole30 allows choose things that are less likely to cause a major fall - like maybe being more flexible on questionable ingredients, a tiny bit of veg. oil, a bit of dairy if you tolerate it, whatever works for you to make this realistic long term.  From the posts I have read of yours, though, it sounds like you may wish to consider taking sugar off the table for the forseeable future.

Create yourself a new set of rules based on what you learned during your whole30 . . . ones you can manage longer term.

I have been a sugar-aholic my whole life. After a rough year of trying to have treats every 3-4 weeks (which always became an all-day sugar binge, every week or two), I completely kicked it to the curb on Jan 1st and I'm so glad I did. I still want ice cream and candy occasionally, but I'm really not craving it at all and it's easy to pass it by in the store. I was very upset when I made this decision, thinking "no sugar forever, omgwhatwillidooooo??" I was very happy to be able to have a bit of alcohol last week with no return of sugar cravings. That might be my only indulgence, until the glorious family treats appear at Christmas time. It really does get easier the longer you go without it.

I had the same issue. Did great on my January Whole30, but the sugar has crept its way in, slowly at first, and now a raging dragon yet again. Some people are moderators, some are abstainers...I clearly cannot have sugar in moderation, so my only alternative now is to abstain.

I couldn't agree more...sugar is back in my life and I struggle so much saying no :(  I have to say this though, one week after my whole 30 (I did go on a slight sugar bender...), I had neck pain come back that I have had for almost a year now.  No chiro or massage can help it.  It wasn't until then that I realized that during my Whole 30 it was gone.  I am feeling pretty crappy right now, so I think I too need the rules.  I'm currently reading "It Starts With Food" for more motivation...as well as my super stiff/sore neck :(

Oh ya...and I just read that L-Glutamine can help curb the sugar craving.  I have mine sitting on my kitchen counter ready to use.  Apparently 1 tsp on your tongue as many times a day as necessary and it's supposed to stop the craving...fingers crossed...

I feel your pain! I feel like I did so well with my whole30 in Jan & now I'm back to eating junk food I know will make me feel awful!!! I didn't properly do the reintroduction stage, but the reactions to non compliant foods have been pretty obvious!!!! I'm going to do another whole30 in April, I've ordered the ISWF book and hopefully try reset my thinking & boredom eating dependency!!!!

Have a glass of water and think about why it is you are craving those treats? Usually for me its boredom or stress, neither of which will be better with chocolate/gummies or wine!!

Good luck :)

Archived