Jen's 2nd W30

pjena

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alas, not much is more appealing than those nuts/butters. 

Yeah, I've kept this WOE for the most part.  My problem is that "worth it" or at least "not worth making a stink about it" occasions happen so often.  And often a little "worth it" offroad becomes a huge "oh so not worth it" event.  That's why I thought maybe another W30 would be good.  It gives me the extra motivation to say no to the little offroads that don't seem to matter at the time but add up because they happen so often.  Like dinner out last weekend.  I stuck to the plan.  If I wasn't on W30, I'm sure I would have gone along with the flow and had a couple glasses of wine, garlic bread and then dessert and I would have slept poorly and been mad at myself in the morning.  I wouldn't have enjoyed myself any more than I did, either.  That's the thing I have a hard time remembering.

I was hungry last night after yoga and would have gone for the banana with AB.  But, I was too lazy to make a better choice so I just ignored it.  Luckily, I still slept ok.  I ate an extra egg this morning because I was starving!

We're supposed to get a blizzard tonight.  Ugh!  I'm praying it stays a few degrees warmer so it's rain.  Rain would be good.  Snow would be not good!  Whatever happens, I hope it holds off until tonight.  My son is on a field trip today and won't get back to school until 4:30.  I'll worry until he's home if it starts snowing earlier.

Day 11:

M1 - eggs, kale, sw pot w/CB

M2 - salad/veg, tuna, avocado, clems

M3 - ground beef, mayo, salad/veg

WO - n/a.  too many meetings to walk at lunch and had to boil sap at night.

I really wanted a banana with AB last night.  But, I made sure to eat more than enough at dinner as to not get hungry and promised myself I could have it with breakfast in place of my sweet potato with CB.  It's not a substitution I will make often, but it was a good compromise with my banana AB wanting self.  :)  I had a super hungry day yesterday.  I managed to not snack, but felt like I overate at dinner to compensate.  But, at least I didn't get hungry before bed and didn't wake up super starving.  Hopefully, today will be a normal day.

We got snow, but luckily schools are open!

Day 12:

M1 - eggs, kale, banana w/ AB

M2 - salad/veg, tuna, avocado, clems

M3 - salmon, mayo, salad/veg

WO - yoga

In the last few years, with super humid summers and my skin issues and being home with two littles, I've come to dread summer. But this year I am really really craving spring. I feel like I'm living in Maine again, where we had winter till May. 

It's good to be able to make deals with yourself. Plus the damage is probably decreased if you eat the nut butter with a breakfast? Psychologically? It's not functioning the same as an after meal treat, the way you've been having problems with it. 

What ever happened to the syrup? I ordered some from a woman in VT and she said it would be scarce this year. 

Happy Monday.  The weekend was ok food wise.  Super busy.  12yo had a soccer tournament and with other stuff thrown in there, the schedule was a little wonky.  I think I managed ok.  At the soccer party Sat night, I grazed on too much fruit and carrots (in addition to my salad and chicken breast) while faced with pizza, m&ms, popcorn and wine, so though I felt a little bloated after so much fruit, I feel that if it kept my fingers out of the popcorn and m&ms, it's all good.  I made strawberry jam yesterday and didn't lick the bowl. :)  I also made a TON of syrup.  We have so much sap and are pushing to get it all done quickly. 

Beets - We're not having as good a year as last year (which is actually a good thing because I got so sick of boiling and canning syrup last year!) but it's not a bad year by any means.  At least in MN.  I think we had enough moisture last fall which helps and the weather has mostly cooperated by not getting too warm too fast.  We did about 4 gallons of syrup last year (that's approx 160 gallons of sap) and probably could have done at least another gallon but we were burned out.  I think we'll get about 3 gallons this year.  We're going again today and probably tomorrow and then it's going to be 70 on Wed and no nights below zero, so we think it'll be done.  I can only hope.  :)

Day 13 (Sat):

M1 - eggs, kale, sw pot w/ CB

M2 - salad/veg, salmon, mayo, clems

M3 - mini meal of carrots, l/o ground beef, sw pot w/ CB

M4 - salad/veg, chicken, olive oil dressing, too much fruit

WO - walk

Day 14 (Sun):

M1 - eggs, kale

M2 - salad/veg, chicken salad

M3 - venison/beef meatballs, tomato sauce, zoodles, salad/veg

WO - yoga

Day 15 (Mon):

M3 - pork veg soup, salad/veg

WO - yoga

Syrup again last night.  And tonight.  And tomorrow night. Then I think we're done.  I need to buy more jars.  And find my labels so I can start giving it all away! 

I keep thinking of something I want to make note of here, but then when I'm actually posting, I forget.  Weird.  Maybe I'll remember today.

I just remembered!  Planks.  I've totally fallen off the plank wagon with vacation and all.  I'm starting again to build up.  I'm at 2:30.  My max before I got lazy was 4:30.  I have work to do!  And headstands.  I can sometimes get up without the wall and sometimes I fall into the wall.  Got to work more on that to be more consistent.  I also really want to figure out how to get myself to do arm balances.  So, I need to work on arm strength, too, and bravery (I think fear of falling on my face is the biggest obstacle).

Day 16:

M1 - eggs, kale, sw pot w/ CB, strawb

M3 - meatballs, sauce, salad/veg, olives

WO - walk

M3 - venison/beef meatballs, tomato sauce, zoodles, salad/veg

So how did you like the venison/beef meatballs???  I think overeating fruit was a good choice in this context.   ;)

I just remembered!  Planks.  I've totally fallen off the plank wagon with vacation and all.  I'm starting again to build up.  I'm at 2:30.  My max before I got lazy was 4:30.  I have work to do!  And headstands.  I can sometimes get up without the wall and sometimes I fall into the wall.  Got to work more on that to be more consistent.  I also really want to figure out how to get myself to do arm balances.  So, I need to work on arm strength, too, and bravery (I think fear of falling on my face is the biggest obstacle).

I've also been slacking on the planks, and I had gotten up to 1:45.  Guess I'll be starting those again next week, when I get back to my normal routine.

Plank 3:00. 

Beets - the idea was to follow a 30 day program I found online that said you'd be up to 5 minutes by the end.  Of course, I never got there, but in a couple months I was up to 4:30.  I can get back there if I can just remember to do it.  I'm going to try to do chaturangas (sp?), too, on my off yoga days, and try to do doubles each time during the actual class. 

Sara - The venison meatballs were kind of dry.  I may have overcooked them.  I could also add more egg maybe?  I'll do the 1/2 and 1/2 again, but next time will just brown it and mix it with the sauce.  Way easier!

Beautiful day today!  It's supposed to be 70.  I can't wait for my lunchtime walk!

Day 17:

M3 - salad/veg, avocado, sausage, salsa, plantain tostada

WO - walk

• Moderators

Love the plank challenge! It really works.

Be careful doing chaturangas at home on your own. You can really mess up your shoulders if you don't use perfect form while doing them.

My meatballs often turn out dry, especially when I use lean meats like bison. I think the trick is to slightly undercook them, kind of like cookies. . . .

Love the plank challenge! It really works.

Be careful doing chaturangas at home on your own. You can really mess up your shoulders if you don't use perfect form while doing them.

My meatballs often turn out dry, especially when I use lean meats like bison. I think the trick is to slightly undercook them, kind of like cookies. . . .

There's nothing like a slightly undercooked cookie. Mmmmmm! :)

Thanks for the warning on the chaturangas.  I'll be careful.  I don't want to mess up my shoulders.  It's frustrating enough to not be able to do things because of my knee (likely leftover from my running days).  I can't do anything that bends my right knee in - like pigeon or any pose with my foot in the hip crease.  I can on the left side, but not the right.  Sad.

• Moderators

Trick is to not allow your shoulders to round forward/down. Keep your shoulder blades slightly squeezed together, neck long, and lead with the chest toward the floor. Stop the movement when your elbows are at 90 degrees.

I hope that helps!

Sorry about that injury. That really does limit what you can do. :(  Good for you for finding things that work despite that limitation!

Nice start back on the planks!  70, wow, that sounds heavenly.

Lean meats like venison dry out really fast.  It doesn't sound like the taste was a barrier though (am I reading that correctly?), so that's a step in the right direction.

No yoga last night.  So sad. But, I canceled so we could finish up the syrup and be done for the season.  It was either cancel yoga and finish up last night or go again today.  I just wanted to be done.  We got just over 3 gallons, which is a very good year.  Not as good as last year, but good just the same.  I'm glad it's over.  Now we have tons of syrup to gift away.  Next up will be rhubarb strawberry jam.  Mmmm!  Luckily, I'll be done with W30 by then.  I do low sugar, but it's not no sugar. 

M - thanks for the tips!

Sara - taste was fine.  I still don't love meat so it just tasted like meat which I can tolerate but don't care for enough to tell the difference between good and ok meat.  It's a step forward.  It will help if we ever have a good deer year.  Which we're due for but with all the snow this winter is unlikely.

Plank 3:00 again plus another 1:00 for good measure.

Tonight will likely be reorganizing my son's room.  That will be a workout!  He finally decided he's ready for a bunk bed (at almost 10yo).  He chose the kind that has a desk and dresser underneath rather than a 2nd bed.  His bedroom is the smaller one, so that will save space.  We found one on craigslist that husband is picking up today.  It's an early birthday present.  My other son got his twin top / full bottom bunk for his 5th birthday.  I wonder when he'll decide he's too old for it.  I think then we'll just take the top bunk off and let him have the full, which will work great. 

Day 18:

M3 - salad/veg, avocado, sausage, salsa, plantain tostada eggs, kale, banana, AB

WO - walk

Exactly the same as yesterday.  I'm boring.  But, I like it.  The dinner last night was so good I want it again tonight!  And we're having fish tacos tomorrow night, so I'll have almost the exact same day again tomorrow.  The chicken salad was a nice change from my usual tuna.

Lol, I'm totally boring too. I'll clap. (In my mind.)

Glad you got a lot of syrup. I think that's a good thing. (?) And wise to skip yoga for it. Done and done. Aside from w30ing I am determined to make April a real spring cleaning month, body, home, etc. I'm finally getting rid of a bunch of the nicest baby clothes I was saving for ???. And I just the other day threw all my beans and grains into the compost pile. (Just have to drag it to the garden.) They were old, but it still felt good. I gave myself a whole 'nother drawer--hot commodity in my tiny apt kitchen. 

I love the idea of a spring clean.  I just can't gear up for it.  Maybe that's subconsciously the reason we end up doing W30's in the spring, though.  Maybe I'll get rid of some stuff while cleaning my son's room today.  Getting rid of stuff feels great!

• Moderators

I've definitely developed the habit of clearing out twice a year: in fall and spring--or more accurately, the shift from summer to fall and from winter to spring. I think it's a healthy ritual for sure. Very grounding. Releasing what no longer serves us is always good!

Good: Got the 9yo's new bed all set up.  He's in heaven.  We'll have to spend some time this weekend going through his stuff, getting rid of stuff, putting stuff away in new places, etc.  Carrying the furniture up the stairs was a good workout!

Bad: AF is here in full force along with slight cramping and major bloating

Good: Despite that, my jeans feel looser.  Maybe some progress?

We have another unbalanced weekend.  Saturday is SO busy with all of us going in different directions.  It takes some major coordinating to get everyone where they need to be.  Sunday is wide open other than church.  I don't mind getting all the running out of the way on Saturday if it means having Sunday to just hang out at home getting stuff done.

Day 19:

M3 - salad/veg, avocado, fish, salsa, plantain tostada

WO - walk, yoga

• Moderators

I do the same thing with my weekends. Front load Saturdays so Sundays are free. I think it's its own kind of balance. Enjoy!

And you're definitely making progress!

My son too has a bunk bed, but he refuses to sleep on the top bunk.   :rolleyes:   A desk underneath sounds perfect for a smaller space.

Yay for pants feeling loose with AF!  Definitely progress.

Hope your Saturday goes smoothly and Sunday is relaxing.  Enjoy!

We're doing major cleaning out with carpet cleaning and the party coming up, it feels great!

We had a nice weekend.  Saturday's coordination worked out fine.  12yo took a test to get into an advanced math program and the UofM (!!!).  We'll find out in a few weeks, I think.  He also won 2 soccer games.  He even got a header goal, which he's been wanting to get.  My fairly stoic child even did a tiny dance on the field to celebrate. :)  9yo went to a birthday party and got a ripstick (kind of like a skateboard) and worked on putting stuff away in his new bed set.  I got to go to yoga and for a nice walk with my friend.  Church was long (I kind of hate Palm Sunday mass...), but the kids behaved very well. 

We have a fairly quiet week ahead, which is wonderful.  Winter acitivities (religion/scouts) are wrapping up and summer activities haven't gotten much underway yet.  Soccer 3-4 nights a week starts in 2 weeks. 

Plank 3:15 yesterday and can almost do crow pose!  I can get my feet up, but just for a second.  I need to work on my confidence to try to stay up.  I'm afraid of face planting.  Saturday yoga teacher tried to get us to do side crow.  No way is that happening yet.  Maybe someday.

Day 20 (Sat):

M2 - salad/veg, avocado, eggs, salsa, plantain tostada

M3 - Chipotle carnitas salad w/ guac

WO - yoga

Day 21 (Sun):

M1 - eggs, kale

M2 - salad/veg, avocado, eggs, salsa, plantain tostada

M3 - salad/veg, ribs, sw pot/CB

WO - walk

Day 22 (Mon):