Taylor's Whole30 Log

Tayleo

Well hello out there!

Yes, this little "blog" is for me, but I would love any in put, advice or just hi! 

Today marks my first official day on Whole30. I feel like I should have some pretty good success with it because I have been Paleo for 2 weeks and have already eliminated most of the foods from my diet already. 

Technically I am primal because I have included cream, dark chocolate and cheese into my diet but I really believe that these need to go for at least 30 days. Also wine. 

I also have a wedding in September and I am really looking forward to dropping some weight and inches for that (so sue me!)

I will be working out as well -- 4x a week plus yoga on fridays. 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weights. Nothing too crazy but I do feel stronger when I workout and my lower back pain goes away. 

I probably will snack if I need it because I have a very active lifestyle and am a massage therapist by trade. I am going to try to stick to berries, kombutcha and a few raw nuts once a day. MAYBE a luna bar if I am dying -- hopefully not. 

I will enjoy a break from calorie counting (but will still have portion control) and weighing myself. I starting weighing myself everyday recently and it does not help me once single bit. Yes I need my weight to drop (....281.6) but I cannot live and breathe that number either. Also took pictures today so I can visually see progress

Going to Whole Foods later to get sugar free bacon and some chicken thighs 

3/24 Plan

Sweet tato drizzled in olive oil 

smoked salmon

fried egg

buffalo burger

Avocado 

acorn squash with ghee

blueberries

almonds

kombutca

Lamb chop

grilled asparagus 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went out to Whole Foods to find the holy grail (sugar free bacon) and didn't find any!! Le sigh....but I did get apple gate hotdogs and some chicken thighs. I do love me some chicken thighs and plan to eat some of those for breakfast;

My plan tomorrow (it may change)

chicken thigh

broccoli 

snack after work out 

hard boiled egg (if needed)

cold lamb chop

asparagus 

kombucha 

berries 

nuts

dry rub pork ribs

sweet potato fries

mushrooms 

Went out to Whole Foods to find the holy grail (sugar free bacon) and didn't find any!! Le sigh....but I did get apple gate hotdogs and some chicken thighs. I do love me some chicken thighs and plan to eat some of those for breakfast;

My plan tomorrow (it may change)

chicken thigh

broccoli 

snack after work out 

hard boiled egg (if needed)

cold lamb chop

asparagus 

kombucha 

berries 

nuts

dry rub pork ribs

sweet potato fries

mushrooms 

Hi and welcome!

Your planned meals look good. Make sure they all include a compliant fat.

Some feedback on the postWO and snacks:

- The recommended postWO is protein and carb, no fat.  So instead of a hard boiled egg, go for an egg white for your protein (losing the yolk as a fat source), and have that with a carb like sweet potato. You could also do lean protein such as chicken instead of the egg white.

- In general, try to avoid snacking between meals on a Whole30.  Create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours. In the meantime, if you're genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal that includes a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.  Save your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to have with or immediately after your main meals only.

So maybe that would be a good time for some grapes and apart of a boneless skinless chicken thigh?

Yes, I am really trying not to snack but I do have a very physical job as a massage therapist so I need food around for when/if I crash between clients. I won't eat it if I wouldn't steam fish and broccoli!

The boneless skinless chicken thigh would be a good protein for a mini meal.  Now you'd just need to add a fat: maybe olives or sliced avocado, for example?  If you're talking for the postWO, chicken breast would be a better option, as it's more lean.  Have that with a veggie carb instead of a fruit carb.

The grapes - have those with or immediately after your main meals, as opposed to part of a snack.

Day 2/30

Good morning! Man I slept like a rock 9:30-7!

Didn't feel too motivated to go to the gym -- I don't know why. I haven't been up for a workout since thursday. I think it's because when I was weighing myself several times a day and ultimately stalled and then gained a half a pound (probably from wine and cheese) but weighing myself does take a toll on me emotionally. 

So I know I will go to the gym tomorrow. Already blocked myself off from work in the morning (I work for myself. yay) 

TMI - after one day of not eating dairy (and all the other stuff) I had a victorious morning poo. And not just one - 3. And I feel much MUCH less bloated. Horray

I do believe I am at an advantage because I went Paleo two weeks prior -- I'm already in love with the food and the way I feel. It truly feels like a community. Living in Colorado I know that there is a big Paleo family here, I just haven't discovered it yet. 

Meals for Day 2

M1

Smoked salmon

Fried egg

squash and mushrooms with slivered almonds 

M2

Sliced Avocado 

Cold lamb chop 

Veggie 

Kombucha 

M3

Dry rubbed pork ribs

sweet potato fries drizzled in ghee and herbs

broccoli 

Tea/water 

Also if by the end of 30 days and I have lost inches and weight (I know, not the point..) I will stick to the strict guidelines to help me look and feel my best on my wedding day. 

and I don't feel guilty that I wanna feel sexy on my wedding day - and that does mean losing some weight. But really, I am Paleo for life.

Had lunch - very tasty. Only ate some lamb the size of the palm of my hand and I am full and still full 2 hours later. This is a very new thing for me - I keep checking in with my body to make sure that I'm not hungry. And I'm not but I think I want to eat out of habit.

Still having a wee bit of a headache but doing well. No cravings. Looking forward to my kombucha when I get home from work.

End of day 2 and going strong!

Only I think I was hungry before dinner. I have screwed up my bodies cues so badly for so many years that I don't even know when I am hungry anymore. I had a hand full of kale chips (compliant) and waited for dinner.

Dinner was amazing. Dry rubbed ribs, sweet tato fries and spinach with balasmic vinegar (compliant)

I did end up eating 3 ribs but took a pause between 2-3 to drink some water, talk and listen to my body to see if it was hungry and it was. Now I am happily full sipping on mint tea.

Tomorrow:

M1 Prosciutto and basil scrambled egg, blueberries

M2 Left over meat of some sort

broccoli and squash

Avocado 

M3 More left over meat

Spagetti squash with ghee

Sp 

Went to the gym to get a good workout in and they are CLOSED for cleaning until the 29th!! ^%(@)#@

But I went on an hour walk with my doggie. Good brisk one. The amazing thing is I am not hungry after my walk! Usually lugging around 280 *yikes* pounds during a workout or a walk makes me hungry but not today. Felt a good energy, took a shower and am waiting an hour before lunch. 

I feel good today and my headache and bloating are minimal. Today I got a day off because clients didn't book (yay) so I don't have much planned. Even eating left overs for dinner. 

I did feel a bit bloated this morning after my walk but had a good BM and now I feel ship shape. Also, since I haven't found the magical sugar free bacon yet prosciutto made a nice sub. 

More walking tomorrow and then yoga on friday. 

....also I sense a nap in my future. 

Craving carrot caked with cream cheese frosting covered in walnuts. I don't even like carrot cake.

I think it's cause I still don't feel that great. Still achy and my throat is sore. I'm just looking for ways to nurture myself.

Not sure I would feel that great after carrot cake anyway. Probably worse.

So I woke up this morning feeling like poop. I don't know if it was the "hang over" but I was sore all over and my throat was swollen. At least I didn't eat carrot cake! :-)

My breakfast was a bit weird, but here were my meals 

M1: Deli meat (compliant)...about all my throat would handle 

M2: Made thai coconut soup and had a few pistachios 

Kombucha 

M3: Thai coconut soup, pear

I didn't do much today besides nap and do laundry which is still in the dryer. I am still loving not being hungry. It really is a new thing for me.  I am kinda getting bored without eating, I mean I am enjoying not wanting to eat but now my time feels a little empty. 

Really really want to weigh myself. Blargh. 

The thai coconut soup was a total hit with myself and my fiancé. Finding compliant chicken broth and fish sauce was a pain the ass though. Next time I make it I will make a double portion. 

Looking forward to roasting a chicken tomorrow. It's always my favorite meal - comforting as it reminds me of my mom 

Hoping tomorrow I will feel better....

So I'm feeling better. Slept about 12 hours but still don't feel like doing much.

Had to have a snack between lunch at breakfast..

M1 6:30

Prosciutto

2 fried eggs in coconut oil

1 clementine

Snack 10:30 small handful of pistachios

I don't feel too bad because it was 4 hours after my breakfast but not late enough for lunch

M2 12:30

Small serving of left over soup

Spaghetti squash with ghee

Organic hot dog (compliant)

Kombucha

M3 7:00

Roasted chicken

Sweet potato with ghee

Broccoli

Well, todays lunch didn't really go as planned. I didn't like the look of the squash and didn't feel like grilling so...

Wow, day 5! My lunch was random: A very small serving of Left over thai soup, pistachios and avocado wrapped with proscuttio. Hoping that will keep me full until dinner. As of right now I don't feel hungry and dinner is my favorite, roast chicken. I also had to snack between breakfast and lunch...but it to be fair it had been 4 hours and I couldn't eat lunch at 10:30....so I had a handful of pistachios. 

Can you believe its almost been a week?

I am going to the store tonight and i am going to get the ingredients for chocolate chili...pretty excited for that!

My weird little lunch did last me until now (9pm) with my dinner still cooking because when Jesse (fiancé) got home we ran errands and grocery shopped and didn't get home until 8:30...but I am sipping a kombucha and holding strong

Since I don't really snack anymore  I found kind of am emptiness to my days...also I am not running towards food as much to solve my problems...but sort of having to deal with the emotion right then and there. Anyone else going through something similar?

I HAVE been emotional today -- probably in the zone of Hate All The Things. But I am less tired. 

Anyone know where to find unsweetened cocoa for chocolate chili? They didn't have it at my grocery store... 

day 6! Woo Hoo!

M1: Organic chicken sausage and 2 eggs fried in coconut oil, blueberries

M2: Left over roast chicken, 1/2 sweet potato with ghee, asparagus 

Kombucha 

M3: Dinner at my Dads. Smoked chicken, salad 

Lots of chicken today! Haha, oh well. tomorrow we are having grass fed burgers. 

Nothing too exciting today, last night I had a wicked dream but all is well! 

Had a pretty good day all and all. This whole30 thing ain't so bad. I do have a family that is very supportive!

My dad smoked a chicken and made roasted veggies for dinner. Even had shrimp and olives as a snack -- win!

Went to a local paleo bistro and had a small coconut milk latte, that was heaven. Also bought a whole30 compliant energy bar, even the soups there are whole30. The owners both have done several whole30s and make compliant options. So wicked cool. 

I plan on eating my energy bar if I need on my hike with my mother in law tomorrow. 

Day 7!

M1: Egg scramble with sun dried tomatoes, basil  in olive oil 

Sweet potato medallions  

Berry salad sprinkled with coconut flakes 

M2: Left over smoked chicken 

Salad

raw cashews 

Whole30 compliant energy bar on hike if needed

kombucha 

M3: 

Hamburger 

Guac 

Proscuttio 

Tomato

Onion 

Sweet potato  chips 

Went on a two hour hike with my mother in law (soon to be) with hardly any stopping AND no need for that energy bar. That is SO unheard of for me. I came home, took a shower and now I am sipping on a kombucha very content waiting for Jesse to come home to make dinner. 

Pretty awesome :P 

My tongue is getting a little tired of tasting the same things over and over...although tomorrow I am making chocolate chili which will hopefully be a little different. 

Had amazing homemade sweet potato hash browns  this morning. Grated the potato, onion, garlic and then fried it in coconut oil. Delish

No clients today so I am just gonna clean and prep some food for tonight. Skipped the burgers and went to chipotle *compliant* because we were lazy yesterday so night we are making burgers tonight. Tomorrow will be chocolate chili...

It's weird lately I've been craving spicy food....

Finally the fog has lifted and I feel awesome. Clear headed, great energy and I can tell I am loosing weight. Win. 

M1: sweet potato hash browns, homemade sausage, fried egg

M2: left over chipotle salad with guac...maybe some of that bar if I need it

Kombucha 

M3: burger

onions

guac 

salad 

I almost bought sun dried tomatoes with preservatives last week from trader joes (of which is new to Colorado and I was a bit disappointed in...)

So I am not having the most exciting of days and really want to sit down with a big bowl of pistachios but I am not even hungry! I want them for no other reason other than they are salty and would taste good - not because I am hungry and I need them. I am not going to eat them but my mind sure is trying to play tricks on me  

My favorite easy meal is baked chicken thighs. salt, pepper, oven at 425, 40 minutes and boom - crispy yummy chicken.  Other than that most meals in my house take at least an hour to cook/prep...I am also wondering if Mad Greens has some compliant menu items?

My fiancé doesn't get home until 8 tonight so I am not eating for at least another 3.5 hours, which I can probably handle...I hate when he works late...

It's only day 8 and I can really feel my body changing. It's very very exciting. The only things I really miss is butter, bacon and some items that have a small amount of natural sugars in them...like my bacon. *dies* 

I may only add back bacon after my 30 days and continue with the program. Ghee is an excellent sub for butter and cheese I actually can live without. 

I am looking forward to lunch at mmm, coffee with a nice paleo cookie afterwards. The only thing that wouldn't be compliant is the cookie, every thing else will be that day and probably everyday forward. All my wedding menu paleo except for the cookies instead of a wedding cake. 

I am also planning in my head how to make my honeymoon as paleo as possible. It's not going to be hard, just a little planning sticking to meat, veggies and fat. And probably a few glasses of wine. We plan to stay active most of the time. 

But I am really dedicated to living my life paleo. I have struggled for so long with food, weigh and food addictions. This life style really does make sense to me. It's all I have ever wanted.....eat real food, play out side and don't go hungry. Who would have thought?

Intense food cravings tonight.  I was watching a movie where the family eats chinese food (my absolute fav) and my body almost ached for it. 

Then I had a few too many pistachios while dinner was cooking and then the burgers just didn't taste right...as if all my body wanted was chinese food. So I just didn't eat them...fried two eggs, ate some sweet potato hash and called it good. 

Tonight has been my hardest night so far....I am not sure if I am one of those people who can "just have one.." I mean, I won't on whole30 but I am not sure I can be one of those people who "occasionally" cheat...my one cheats lead to days, months..90 pound weight gains. 

I guess I will always hope to make the most "paleo" choice for the situation I am. 

Funny, being a food addict is like being any other addict. I know it's one day at a time, but shit..sometimes those minutes really can get ya. 

This whole30 and being paleo is almost an act of being sober for me. 

Father in law is taking me out to lunch today a local burger joint called Park Burger. Made a phone call to there and they are going to dry grill it for me and place it on a bed of mixed green. Probably going to add some tomato and avocado. 

Have to run by the store today to get unsweetened cocoa for chocolate chili today. 

I have some clients this afternoon but nothing too bad, Jesse get home at 5!

Also went on a hour walk with my neighbor! 

Archived