Second W30 Starting 04/07/14

bel118

Hey all,

I am about to embark on my second W30. I am doing this as support to my cousin while she starts her first W30 and for myself as I need to kick my butt back in gear toward eating better again.

My last W30 was last March, so it has been a year. I am looking for a group to join us through the 30 day journey. The Easter holiday will be tough for many folks, so the extra support of a group in the forum will be critical to the program success. 

The last time I did this, I joined a forum where we all started the same day and it helped tons. It was fun, motivating, and educational. We had newbies and veterans, so I would love to have that same experience again :)

Please let me know if anyone has any interest in starting this same day with us. 

Thanks, 

Belinda

Hi Belinda,  I read your post last night, thought about it a bit, and I'm in!  I'm on Day 28 of my first Whole 30 (end line in sight for sure!) and I want to jump back in after a small break / vacation.  I want to focus on doing better for breakfast content and timing, and also elimiate coffee (perhaps all caffeine) this second time around.  Looking forward to it!

@Racemom and Ernestine, welcome to the journey! I am pretty excited to do another one, so I welcome and appreciate the fellowship.

@ Racemom, Eliminating all caffeine is tough! I am a coffee-a-holic! I don't so much care about the caffeine factor (I doubt caffeine does much to up my energy levels anymore anyway), but I love the taste! I can drink coffee with creamer or I can drink it black! I did find that coffee with a little coconut oil mixed in with an immersion blender is quite tasty when doing a W30 in case anyone is a coffee with cream junkie. The coconut oil makes the coffee taste like it has a little cream and adds a nice little froth at the top, so you feel like you have something special. I may have to try to go decaf, but don't believe I can give up my cup a day (used to be 3 a day).

We start in just 6 more days gals  B)

Yep. We're in. My husband and I will be doing Whole 30 number 3 along with you. Last one was August 2013. I've been feeling sluggish and generally crappy. I have been blaming the weather (a Game of Thrones type winter here), but taking an honest look at my diet yesterday made me think that my craptastic feeling might have something to do with what I'd been eating. I have a funny relationship with food so one of my goals will be to take satisfaction from something other than baking--see friends more, get outside more, work on my house.

What are you doing to get ready for Whole 30? I think I'll plan some meals and start to reduce sugar now.

Today I went to Trader Joes, Wegmans, and a natural local food store to stock my house with groceries. All is left is for me  to pick up vegetables and spices from the local market. I'm going to try to avoid eating the same foods everyday because it really wore thin on my during my last Whole 30. I found a few recipes on the internet that I'm going to try out next week. 

However, I'm currently not restricting anything before the start date . Last time I did wean myself off Stevia and Lipton ice tea packets because I knew I wouldn't be able to use them after my start date.

I'm starting to convert back to my Paleo ways. I find that it's less of a shock to my system when Whole 30 actually starts. As I was eating my eggs, bacon and sweet potato hash last night, I got really excited. I LOVE Whole 30 food. I don't love all the prep work for it,but I'm going to ask my husband to give a hand with that this time.

Have a great day! 5 days until we start!

Yep. We're in. My husband and I will be doing Whole 30 number 3 along with you. Last one was August 2013. I've been feeling sluggish and generally crappy. I have been blaming the weather (a Game of Thrones type winter here), but taking an honest look at my diet yesterday made me think that my craptastic feeling might have something to do with what I'd been eating. I have a funny relationship with food so one of my goals will be to take satisfaction from something other than baking--see friends more, get outside more, work on my house.

What are you doing to get ready for Whole 30? I think I'll plan some meals and start to reduce sugar now.

I love that the group is growing! The more support the more likely to succeed :)

I just watched the first 3 seasons of Game of Thrones and holy crap what a great show! So totally did not see several things that happened coming and will never get attached to a single character going forward! 

For me, preparing for anything takes lots of research! I research everything! So that means I have been going through a ton of websites (both sites I used last year and this year) and am rereading 'It Starts with Food'. I also re-printed materials from the W30 website and have not only been recruiting participants to start with me online but in my office and family (although, I think most of my family doesn't get it and thinks I am crazy). I will post any cool resources I find in case anyone needs them :)

I also am already in a doctor led lifestyle change program. I already eat no sugar, little sweetener, no carbs, and drink lots of water. My theory was that I want to stay with my nutritionists primary food lists of what I can eat, but improve them by cleaning up my diet. Not to mention, I did really well in my first W30 with Sunday week long menu planning and food prep like Mel suggests in the book 'Well Fed' and on the site The Clothes Make the Girl. The kids and I ate out less and ate better when I used the Hot Plate meal prep method; not to mention I had more time for life and wasn't scrambling to put dinner on the table. If you haven't tried it, I suggest trying it for a week or two of your W30, definitely helps you stay compliant!

Hi Belinda,  I read your post last night, thought about it a bit, and I'm in!  I'm on Day 28 of my first Whole 30 (end line in sight for sure!) and I want to jump back in after a small break / vacation.  I want to focus on doing better for breakfast content and timing, and also elimiate coffee (perhaps all caffeine) this second time around.  Looking forward to it!

@ RaceMom...

I found this website with a whole breakfast post including both egg and egg-free breakfasts:

http://meatified.com/30-days-whole-30-breakfasts/

Hey y'all! Everyone getting excited??? We start the day after tomorrow!!! Is anyone doing a weekly cook up and prep this weekend? I will be tomorrow. I've not broken the news to my children yet, two boys ages 11 and 15. They will not be as excited as I am and they will be complaining the next 30 days. Anyone else forcing family members to join their journey?

Ok first day (and I'm back from my mini-vacation) and ready to go!  I'm glad there are a few of us doing this together - it makes the journey a little easier and more enjoyable when you do it with others.  No one else in my familiy to do it with though.

Thanks so much for the link on the breakfasts, Belinda.  I agree, getting it figured out and prepped in advance will be key. 

This Whole30 I want to do it right in spirit too, and get the day started with more than coffee and grapes, then breakfast a bit later.  So breakfast first, which might or might not include some grapes, but no coffee.  I am going to keep green tea in for awhile anyway and see how it goes.

For what it's worth, I found the Daily Whole30 email really a great resource last time through.  I'm planning to go back and read them one by one this time as well.  I know there's so much there that I probably didn't absorb it all the first time, plus the end of day 'treat' when you click on the "I did it!  Another Whole 30 day in the bank" link is such great motivation.

Here's to a great 30 days!

Sorry I've been MIA. My last week consisted of nothing but work and next to no sleep. My junior, who also happens to be one of my best friends, had a son go into the hospital. The poor ten year old got a MRSA staph infection and was in the hospital the whole week. That meant I was left handling my job and my juniors. More than that, I had to go to the hospital to see the poor little guy and be emotional support for my friend then handle home and my kiddos since I'm a single mom. Needless to say, it was hell week but we all somehow survived.

That being said, I'm back to posting and being involved with the group again. I just finished my Sunday cook up. We have scrambled eggs, breakfast meat, ground turkey/hamburger, chicken burgers, and various parts of chicken pre-cooked. I'm doing only proteins and lettuce the next 5 days but after will be adding lots of veggies and a few fruit portions per day. I will be checking back in soon :)

This Whole30 I want to do it right in spirit too, and get the day started with more than coffee and grapes, then breakfast a bit later.  So breakfast first, which might or might not include some grapes, but no coffee.  I am going to keep green tea in for awhile anyway and see how it goes.

For what it's worth, I found the Daily Whole30 email really a great resource last time through.  I'm planning to go back and read them one by one this time as well.  I know there's so much there that I probably didn't absorb it all the first time, plus the end of day 'treat' when you click on the "I did it!  Another Whole 30 day in the bank" link is such great motivation.

Here's to a great 30 days!

I think a protein source in the morning is important. If you aren't crazy about actual breakfast foods, change it up a little. There's no life rule that says you must eat bacon, sausage, and eggs. I sometimes have tuna or chicken breast. I used to make a breakfast hash. I premade it using a diced baked sweet potato, diced onion, and diced apple for the base. I put those all together and cooked them in a skillet with some coconut oil. Then, I would stash that in my fridge. In the morning I would take some out, then add in some per cooked ground hamburger and scrambled egg. It all heated in about 10 minutes nicely and was quite yummy! That was one of my staples during my first W30. Add a little cinnamon or cumin for fun variations or whatever fun seasonings you like.

I agree that the daily emails are great! I added those back in again so I could have the morning delivery. They are very motivational!

Archived