How are you handling your emotions without treats?

RPT

I started on March 10.  At that time I had been paleo for nearly 3 months but very reliant on paleo treats.  

After reading It Starts With Food, I realized I was using sugar (Paleo style) to numb out emotions...  So far (this is day 14) my major cravings stopped on Day 8 but my habitual cravings is a force to be reckoned with.  I pray, I drink a glass of water, I check in with my innermost feeling self...  And this is  where I am recognizing the most difficulty.  It is this innermost part of me, neglected by me for so long, that I have been placating with sugar and she's HAD IT!  All it is requiring of me is to sit with her, play more, drink a glass of water, basically look inward instead of seeking outward approval.  It sounds so simple, just like "stop eating sugar."  Anyone else have any insight into their emotional eating and what they thought it was feeding?  What are you doing with your new awareness?  How do you feed yourself kindly and well?  What is enough?

I have radically changed my whole life as a result of feeling my feelings instead of eating them ( as well as other unhelpful behaviors). This round of whole 30, I am taking it to a whole new level. Sugar really jacks my emotions around (it causes massive anxiety) and I am hoping to put the dragon to bed with a much deeper understanding of what triggers that first bite.

So far this round, I have craved sugar a ton, mostly directly after meals. But when I was doing my taxes, I was craving big time then too. I'm just noticing and reminding myself that if physical hunger isn't the problem then sugar is not the solution.

I write about this stuff a ton on my website. Feel free to check it out. (In signature)

Archived