Ghee. Whole30 without it?

LatinaCurves

Hi all! I'm going over my Whole30 Resources: Shopping list and curious to know is it possible to do the program without Ghee? I have EVOO and picking up some Coconut Oil tonight.  Some of the Ghee I've seen on-line, anyways, seem rather pricey. What if I don't like it?  :huh:

Hello - I am sure you already know this but wanted to remind that EVOO is for finishing/flavor and not for cooking with heat. Ghee doesn't really taste like anything, in my opinion. Great to cook with. Happy grocery shopping!

Ghee is great for cooking! Like Alicia said, it doesn't really taste like anything. IMO it tastes like butter. 

You guys are awesome!

I'm definately going to pick up some Coconut Oil. I've read so many good things about it. Can't wait to try it! 

And yes I needed a refresher on EVOO uses. I don't use it much really... at least hadn't in the past. Going forward I'll make an effort too especially for salad dressings. 

Namtrag we just got a Trader Joe in Dallas, Texas, a few months ago. I still have yet to go in there. But at $2.99 a jar for Ghee I'll be making a special trip to it. lol Hope that have it...

Note to self... research homemade mayo with avocado oil. 

Thank you all so much for your input!  :)

If you get your hands on some ghee, I find chicken cooked in it is very different, in a good way :D

If you can't, see if you can get duck fat or goose fat!

PS. avocado oil mayo is loved by some, hated by others and always bright green lol if you don't like the colour, macadamia oil works great.

PS. avocado oil mayo is loved by some, hated by others and always bright green lol if you don't like the colour, macadamia oil works great.

I use the avocado oil from Costco and it is not green. Looking exactly the same as using extra light olive oil. I also like the texture way better.

The ghee from Trader Joe's is cheap and is great to try if you're not sure about the whole ghee thing. But the ghee I ordered from Pure Indian Foods, or the ghee I make myself from Kerrygold, is better, and making it myself isn't too much more expensive (with better quality ingredients). Just for what it's worth!

I went to TJ's yesterday and picked up some Ghee for $2.99! Yay! lol  Can't wait to give it a shot... I may fry up some eggs tonight.

QUESTION: Is Ghee something that one could, for example, my husband who's not going to do the challenge with me asked if he could spread some on his toast?   <_<  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived