Whole30 without FODMAPs and nightshades?

LSchroeder3

After a 9 week stint abroad, I return back home in two days and will begin my Whole30 on March 30th. 2 years ago I spent 8 months abroad and while I only put on 10 lb in that time, I put on another 15 lb when I came back home and went a little crazy with all the North American food (which I'm still fighting to overcome). This time around, in an effort to avoid that, and to feel better (8 weeks in Russia with minimal access to fresh and nutritious food has done a number on me in several ways) I will embark on a Whole30.

To that end, has anyone done a whole Whole30 and also eliminated nightshades and FODMAPs during that time? I would like to conclusively determine the effect that they have on me but am wondering if this is restricting too much. Am I still able to get all the nutrition I need while doing so?

Yes, I do the AIP with limited FODMAPS (the ones that don't bother me). I have IBS so I can't have many FODMAPS and I have AI, so nightshades, eggs and other items are out.

The good news is that yes, you can get proper nutrition. I am sensitive to most greens, even some that aren't FODMAPS. So I double down on the ones I can eat, spinach, bok choy. Onions are a complete no-no for me, so almost every recipe has to be adjusted. I am not really a hot food lover, so peppers being out doesn't bother me.

Are you avoiding these foods for a specific reason or just want to see if they bother you?

I know that peppers (especially red ones) are an issue for me but I'd like to really find out if tomatoes are as well. I can live without the rest of the nightshades. As for FODMAPs, I love most of them and I don't think they bother me, but I figure if you're going to do a Whole30, you might as well do it all at once? Thoughts?

Archived