Can TheWhole30 help with allergies/congestion?

My boyfriend and I are looking to start the Whole30 in April.  I did a Candida Cleanse for 5 weeks last year to cure my acne naturally - and it worked!  The Whole30 programs looks very similar to a Candida Cleanse.

My boyfriend has a ton of allergies and is almost always congested.  Has anyone experienced relief from allergies/congestion doing the Whole30?  I am assuming it will help with inflammation, etc, I'm just wondering if anyone here has experienced relief from chronic congestion/allergies doing the Whole30?

Thanks!

Dairy is a big congestion trigger. I found less congestion after my W30, but it returned when I reintroduced dairy, so I don't have it anymore.

I also mistakenly had some wheat the other day and my sinuses immediately began to become congested. So it can be different things.

No wheat, no dairy and no Prolamin has improved my chronic sinus issues no end and pretty much eradicated my arthritis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolamin

I can tell immediately if I have accidental dairy or gluten now, my nose is the first to react.

I'd recommend a Whole60 if you can, give you more time to heal any past damage before re-intro :)

• 2 weeks later...

I feel really dumb but I cannot remember/figure out how to post a new topic ! Maybe because I'm on my phone...please how do you post a new topic?

I started the whole30 2 days ago and have been really bloated and had gas since the start. I read the revised timeline so I know it might just be symptoms but it seems really soon to be this bloated? Anyone else have this?

• 2 weeks later...

Erin - Sorry, this is probably too late for your questions but:

1. To start a new Topic, go to a Forum section you would like to start a Topic in (eg. Whole30 Log) http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/24-your-whole30-log/ and look for the big green button on the top right Start New Topic (sometimes options like this aren't always visible on phones, depends a lot on your phone)

2. Personally, I would really avoid HFCS on Whole30 as in addition to not being compliant, it's both a sugar, a grain and freakishly high in fructose (much higher than fruit in nature). It makes me really sick and the impact on me lasts for a few weeks (I get the same reaction to agave nectar, which has a similar fructose profile).

• 3 weeks later...

I'd gotten to the point with my seasonal allergies where no over-the-counter medicine (tried them all - Claritin, Flonase, Allegra, Zyrtec) so much as made a dent in them. I pretty much had resigned myself to living indoors with air conditioning always from March - June.

Then, I went to an acupuncturist who recommended a Whole30 cleanse just prior to allergy season.

I went the entire month of march on Whole30, and have been keeping to it (mostly) since then.  I made it through April with only mild sniffles/congestion (like a minor cold), and NO MEDS AT ALL.

If I off-road, I can start feeling the symptoms come back almost immediately for short bursts.  It gives me incentive to keep my off-roading to truly social situations where it's highly worth it to me.  My home cooking (> 80% of the time) is all Whole30-compliant.

The biggest triggers for me _seem_ to be dairy (which I don't generally tolerate all that well anyways) and gluten, but I admit I haven't been super-scientific around my non-gluten grains.  I'm just going to continue to avoid all of them as much as possible.  I don't really miss them.  (I miss desserts, but they're a treat, so I continue to treat them as such and not have them very often).

Archived