What do you do with a pressure cooker?

AllyB

After watching this season of 'The Taste' with a contestant that used a pressure cooker a lot (Marina), I was wondering what you do with one?   I have a crock pot, a sous vide and lots of other cooking equipment.  But no pressure cooker.

Am I missing out?  Can someone let me know what they use their's for?

• Moderators

Sing it with me, "I can do anything you can do faster!"

If you look down through my recipe index, you will find many pressure cooker recipes: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/recipe-index/

I make chili in 30 minutes, bone broth in 60-minutes, ribs and collards in 20 minutes. What I really like about pressure cooking is being able to put frozen meat in the pot and have a meal ready in 30 minutes. I don't have to remember to let something thaw 24-36 hours in advance.

Once upon a time, Melissa Joulwan and I said we would collaborate more with me converting her recipes to pressure cooker versions. I did that per her request with Carnitas and then we both got busy in other directions. But someone could get on that project...

Oh my gosh! What a treasure trove of recipes you have amassed! Thanks for sharing, as I am another pressure cooker/ slow cooker aficionado! I either I have great planning skills (slow cooker) or need to whip up dinner in a hurry (pressure cooker). I also prefer the texture of lamb and beef cooked in the p.c.

Sometimes when I slow cook (crock pot for 6-8 hours) beef stew or a chuck roast, it gets dry.  Does the pressure cooker help with this type of thing?  I'm interested to try one and of course, I need more gadgets for the kitchen!!!

Thanks!

Sometimes when I slow cook (crock pot for 6-8 hours) beef stew or a chuck roast, it gets dry.  Does the pressure cooker help with this type of thing?  I'm interested to try one and of course, I need more gadgets for the kitchen!!!

Thanks!

It sure does  :)  When you use a pressure cooker, regardless of whether it's a stove-top one or an automatic/electronic one, the food is being cooked in a sealed environment. Therefore, there is no loss of liquid via steam. Depending on what type of food you're cooking, it will absorb some amount of liquid. You just have to make sure that you put in enough liquid for the food to absorb. If you don't put in enough liquid and/or the PC is set to cook for too long a time or with too high of a temperature, then the possibility exists of ending up with dry meat. (I really like that I can get away with buying cheaper/tougher cuts of meat and still get falls-apart-in-my-mouth tender meat because the PC is so good at its job)!

• 2 weeks later...

I've used mine for poultry, beef, and veggie broths. Though I leave mine in for 2 hours (the max time setting on my cooker). 

I have used it for pork tenderloin, which turns out awesome when put in for about 40 minutes. Very tender an still slightly pink in the center. I chopped some and used it in omelets, I shredded some and used it for pulled pork (with a compliant BBQ sauce recipe)

I threw in 6 chicken breasts for 30 minutes and they all turned out super juicy and tender. I've done beef roasts as well.

I have found that it requires little planning to use one. Throw in meat, throw in a bit of liquid, and throw in whatever spices tickle your fancy, and it will probably turn out well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived