boredom at work?!

I have an office job, and I find myself tempted to go and buy food a lot out of boredom. Does anyone get this? And how do they combat it?

Do something non-food related.  Go for a walk (not near the snack machine or cafeteria). Put on your headphones and play some music. Read interesting articles in a magazine or on the web. Meditate. Plan something fun for after work or the weekend.

Office worker here too.  I take a walk.  I can't wait for the weather to turn a little warmer so I can get outside (granted we're getting a snowstorm tonight :angry: ).  When it's cold or raining, I do laps around the floor or go down the to cafe for a cup of tea with a co-worker.  When it's nice out, I do a lap or two around my building.  Takes the edge off. 

• 5 weeks later...

I used to buy a pack of oreos every afternoon from the snack machine.  Then I'd battle sleepiness and the yawns the rest of the afternoon. One time the snack machine restocker guy was in there restocking and I asked him why he doesn't have more healthy options.  (Although, after that came out of my mouth, I had a hard time thinking of anything that was whole 30 compliant that could be sold through a vending machine.)  He said "Cuz they don't sell."

So there you go...junk sells.

After completing my whole 30, I haven't been tempted to buy oreos.  I hate the sleepy feeling I get from them.  I'm still amazed at how fast my day goes and I usually don't notice the time until it's about 1/2 hour from quitting time.

As far as boredom goes....I get a cup of water, walk around, check in here.  Pretty much the same tactics as combatting boredom at home.

• 3 years later...

@CRCBN Just like my colleague. He is always in the front of the system reading an article, checking the forums, listing to music through his headphones that he got from this website which are the affordable noise isolating headphones, which he uses to prevent the surrounding distractions. He rarely goes for a walk, but is mainly busy with his system.

Archived