Emily's first whole30

silkychrome

Hi everyone!

I'm going for my first whole30 after giving up sugar for Lent and failing. My sugar dragon is a big monster and it's going to take something more structured for me to kill it. Today (25-Mar) is my Day 1. I am coming into whole30 from an already fairly grain/sugar free normal life, but I am an endurance athlete (adventure racing 8-30hr races, and mountain biking 100mi races) so during training I consume a lot of sugary calories. It's how I cheat my healthy-eating system. I've had some great performances recently, but I know I can be A LOT better if I tighten up what I eat on a day-to-day bases, and also during training and races. 

What are my goals? My #1 goal is a toss-up between "kill sugar cravings" and "lose weight/improve body composition". As an endurance athlete I'm keenly aware of how my weight affects my performance... power/weight ratio is so important. But I also feel that having more self-control with what I eat will serve me better in the long-term, and is independent of training. So, I'm not sure which is more important. Losing weight is easy to measure, I have a baseline from this morning but obviously won't be on the scale for the next 30 days. Measuring self-control is harder. 

My Day 0 was spent on a kitchen/pantry purge. I already had some whole30 recipes stocked in my fridge (chicken cacciatore from NomNom and west african stew from Well Fed) and salad ingredients so I didn't do much food prep. 

I have a rare 4-week block in my season where there are no important races so I figured now is the time. Let's do this!

--Emily.

DAY 1 recap:

preWO: 1 egg fried in coconut oil

WO1: run 40min

WO2: lift 60min (new DL PR!!)

postWO/breakfast: 2 eggs poached in water, 1 sweet potato, some frozen veg, shredded unsweetened coconut, ground flax, salt. coffee with coconut milk.

lunch: 6C salad with baked tilapia, lettuce, kale, carrot, bell pepper, EVOO, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice. handful raw almonds, 1 square unsweetened chocolate. (is this "approved"?)

dinner: 1C steamed kale with 2C NomNom chicken cacciatore (i got mucho hungry at 4p so i ate this at work). 

preWO: 2 hardboiled eggs, few marinated olives/mushrooms, spoonful almond butter.

WO3: bike 45min

so. that's day 1. i made a conscious effort to drink a bunch of water. i was really hungry about 11am but held off on lunch until 12noon. no postWO meal in the evening because it is getting late and the ride wasn't that hard anyway. and i think the preWO meal was a little on the heavy side. 

DAY 1 recap:

preWO: 1 egg fried in coconut oil

WO1: run 40min

WO2: lift 60min (new DL PR!!)

postWO/breakfast: 2 eggs poached in water, 1 sweet potato, some frozen veg, shredded unsweetened coconut, ground flax, salt. coffee with coconut milk.

lunch: 6C salad with baked tilapia, lettuce, kale, carrot, bell pepper, EVOO, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice. handful raw almonds, 1 square unsweetened chocolate. (is this "approved"?)

dinner: 1C steamed kale with 2C NomNom chicken cacciatore (i got mucho hungry at 4p so i ate this at work). 

preWO: 2 hardboiled eggs, few marinated olives/mushrooms, spoonful almond butter.

WO3: bike 45min

so. that's day 1. i made a conscious effort to drink a bunch of water. i was really hungry about 11am but held off on lunch until 12noon. no postWO meal in the evening because it is getting late and the ride wasn't that hard anyway. and i think the preWO meal was a little on the heavy side. 

Unsweetened chocolate is not compliant. Only 100% cacao or cocoa, used as a spice in cooking or in coffee/tea is allowed.

Here, it's about context.

Having a square of unsweetened cacao, eating it like a candy bar, is not ok.

Grating the cacao and using it as a flavoring in cooking or in your coffee or tea: that's what's acceptable on a Whole30.

Day 2:

preWO: 1 hard boiled egg + spoonful almond butter

WO1: 1:30 run

postWO/breakfast: 2 eggs poached in water, frozen peppers/onion, 1 sweet potato, salsa, ground flax, salt. coffee, black!!

lunch: 6C salad w tilapia, mixed greens, kale, carrot, bell pepper, green beans, 1/2 avocado, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar.

dinner: 1C steamed kale/collard/turnip greens w 2C Well Fed West African Chicken stew (not as hungry as yesterday, but crunched for time after work so i just ate this right before leaving at 5p.)

WO2: 45min bike

like yesterday, i focused on drinking lots of water. i wasn't as hungry as yesterday come lunchtime, but i added the 1/2 avocado anyway to add some fat. after early dinner, i wasn't hungry so i didn't eat pre/postWO mini-meals. it wasn't a difficult ride anyway. also i tried my coffee black for the first time ever and it was drinkable! i had no idea!

Oh, I can sooooo relate to the healthy diet plus sugar problem.  I feel like such a hypocrite!  I walk around with my organic everything and grass fed meats and do my workouts like they are my job, and stuff my face full of candy!  Or drown my paleo pancakes in syrup.  The real maple kind, but still!  

For coffee I like to do either unsweetened almond milk which has lots of calcium or coconut oil or coconut oil and ghee blended in my bullet.  So good!

DAY 3 (Thursday) - weird sleepiness

preWO: hard boiled egg + spoonful almond butter

WO: 1:30 run

postWO/breakfast: 2 eggs poached in water, frozen peppers/onions, sweet potato, salsa, ground flax, salt. coffee, black.

snack: apple w handful raw almonds

lunch: shredded beef w NSA BBQ sauce, raw asparagus, spoonful almond butter.

dinner: raw asparagus, 2 green chicken wings 

Today was a weird day, i knew my lunch was going to be very late, around 1-2pm, so I had a snack around 11am. That worked great. Then in the afternoon I felt really, really tired so when I got home from work, I took a 2hr nap! That of course threw a lot of things off so my dinner was quite late, around 10pm. But it was delicious. I went back to sleep about midnight. My tummy also felt a bit off during the last part of my run and I think that is from too much almond butter. Going to make sure my preWO mini-meals are not too big!

Archived