Bombed in the first day

calebjsydni

Well, as I am writing this I am eating salt and vinegar potato chips with my son. I have had so many day ones that it doesnt even get exciting anymore. It is like i know i am going to fail before i even get started. Cravings are so hard. I am so depressed and fed up with myself

I second Eileen. Get all of that stuff out of the house. Especially for the first few days. When I was around day 15, I was more confident in my ability to resist temptation so I started keeping oatmeal and other things in the house for my boyfriend to eat. But until day 15, I was scared to have that stuff around. I was also less worried about something like oatmeal that required preparing because I figured by the time I went to the trouble to cook it, I would find the will power to resist the craving...but readily available temptations like chips or packaged sweets are too dangerous.

I am also wondering if maybe you could make this a family thing? How about having your son join in and do it with you? Certainly everyone can benefit from this style of healthy eating. Even if you just make him eat Whole30 while he's at home and allow him to go off plan if he buys his lunch at school or goes to a friend's house for dinner, that might make it easier if you can eat the same thing as the rest of the family and remove all the non-compliant food from the house.

You also mention that you've had many day ones...I am a little worried that you are now going into your whole30 assuming that you'll fail. I think attitude is 90% of surviving a whole30. I think it's awesome that you haven't given up on trying and you should be proud of yourself for continuing to try. But maybe, give yourself a week or two and decide that this time THIS WILL BE YOUR SUCCESSFUL WHOLE30. Try to get yourself excited by finding new recipes that you want to try. Get all the junk food out of the house and spend a lot of time preparing. Make some homemade mayo, shred some sweet potatoes for breakfast hash, hard boil some eggs. I think prep work can really help get you ready for this.

Lastly, next time you're thinking about going off plan, come back to the forum for support instead. Or go for a walk. Or read a trashy magazine. Decide on strategies for getting your mind off of food that allow you to indulge yourself in another way.

Good luck!!

I am so sorry you feel defeated on your first day. I say get right back up on that horse! I don't have children so you can take this with a grain of salt. Is there any reason that these treats have to be in the house during your 30 days? Your kids will be just fine if they have to go to an ice cream store to get a treat, they will also be just fine if they don't have a treat for 30 days. There are so many other things that they can eat. Have your tried kale chips? Basically you put a little coconut oil and salt on fresh cut kale, then you bake the chips at 350 for 20 min or so. These are not really whole30 but if you accidently eat one you won't have to restart.

I also think prepping is key, if you have something else to eat even nuts at least you can stay compliant. I know how tempting it is to toss in a frozen pizza when you are tired and don't want to cook. If you have compliant stuff that you can toss together it is so much easier to stick with the program. You can do it. Just think what your life would be like without psoriasis and arthritis (or at least reduced symptoms).

Maybe rethink your strategy by eliminating or swapping out a couple of items per day or per week.  Maybe not going cold turkey is what I mean.  

What do you do after you bomb, do you just keep eating off the program the rest of the day?  If that's the case then maybe stop after that first bite and get back on track immediately. 

Come into the forums for accountability. Go for a walk or do something different to distract you from going down the same path. 

Also, reconsider foods you're buying for your kids.  Do they really need those chips or whatever it is your buying for them?  And can you find a healthier alternative. They will survive and so will you.

Wish you all the luck with this. You deserve to be healthy.  And they deserve a healthy and happy mom too. You can do this!  :)

Thanks for the support guys. It was funny cause the craving did actually pass, but because I had the thought, I ate them anyway. Then my hubby brought fried chicken home. And rotisserie. But of course I chose the fried. I definitely have an addiction to junk food. Especially sugar. I have not done the Whole 30 yet so this is my first time doing it. I have been trying to do paleo and have also cut out other inflammatory/food intolerance foods that I know I have issues with. It seems to go well, but of course I still ate some 3 ingredient potato chips and some dark chocolate. And by some, I mean a lot. I have a lot of anxiety when I don't eat the junk. It is like quitting any other drug or alcohol. Except it is actually harder it seems because food is everywhere. I will get back on my horse and opt for day one again tomorrow. I am determined to succeed. And once again, I thank you all for your support. I wish all of you the best as well.

You could try what I did (and I'll admit that it took me a couple of tries to get started on the Whole 30 anyhow). I started out just eating Paleo without the limitations on sugar and nitrites/nitrates. Then I took the plunge into the Whole 30. It follows what LatinaCurves said about baby steps. I liken the Whole 30 to an extreme version of Paleo.

And if you bomb, then you call that meal a loss--but then you strive to make the next meal "clean". It still might take a few tries, but you'll get to where you can make it through. 

The most important thing is, DON'T GIVE UP!!!!! Even if you have to try a hundred times before you make it through, that's a hundred times that you made the choice to improve your life and health. Remember that Edison didn't discover the filament for a light bulb right away. He said "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.", and he also said "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."

Have a great day.:)
Patrick.

I'm so sorry you feel defeated attempting your whole30.  I feel your pain.  I'm on Day #10 and I came very close to giving up many times over the past few days.  I grew up in a house with lots of snacks and candy.  We always had something sweet after a meal and I continued that into adulthood.  My husband isn't a big sweet eater so I've tried to cut down over the years, but if there is a get-together with cake or brownies, I'm there!  I have a severe sweet tooth and truly love eating not so healthy foods. 

I'm 45 and the heaviest I've ever been (165-170 according to last doc visit).  I find a lot of support reading other's stories here and I get excited about food when I check out new recipes.  You CAN do it!!  If I can get to Day #10, so can you!

Don't give up, just keep trying.

I have a horrible addition to chocolates.  It's hard for me to resist once I get the thought that I want some, but IMPOSSIBLE to resist if I take the first bite.  So, for now at least, I can't even taste something...the taste for me is the trigger.  I can want it all I want, but if I don't taste it, the desire usually eventually goes away.  Usually.  I'm not perfect.  :) 

If you manage to get a good start on the Whole30, the cravings DO start to go away and resisting becomes easier.  So, just keep trying...eventually something will click and you'll do it.

Archived