Can I have Quinoa?

candacevasko

Remember, the whole30 is largely about awareness. If you've done a successful whole30 you should feel free to test out how various foods affect you. If you want quinoa, and feel ok when you eat it, then it's really up to you whether or not you should have it. That's what the "ride your own bike" bit is really about.

That said, Quinoa is a seed and contains lectins and saponins which are gut irritants. It also can interfere with absorption of other good nutrients. You might find after your whole30 that you just feel better without things like grains and grain-like seeds. You mentioned that you felt somewhat unsuccessful. For whatever reason you feel that way, it's ok! But if you're adding things like quinoa back to your diet and you can't really tell how they're affecting you and you're feeling unsuccessful it might be good to try another whole30 or whole15.

Thanks Johnny! I just finished another Whole12 and feel great, I am just really struggling to find a balance of how to eat compliant long term. It's not like my "cheats" have been super bad, or that I have gorged on doughnuts or anything, it's just finding ways to incorporate some of these things in without beating myself up about it. DOes that make sense? :P

Riding MY bike does include a small amount of quinoa. Our local co-op makes a quinoa salad with parsley, mint, cranberries and cashew nuts. I'll occasionally get a SMALL container of it as a treat, but it's not a large portion of my diet.

Archived