is it me....or the coconut oil...food sticking in pan

kaki_clam

until i am fully ready to commit to whole 30 i am committing to paleo...What I find is that when I cook meat of any kind (beef, pork, chicken) in coconut oil it sticks to my pan,  I have both a teflon coated skillet and a stainless steel skillet..makes no difference..it sticks.  Help???

until i am fully ready to commit to whole 30 i am committing to paleo...What I find is that when I cook meat of any kind (beef, pork, chicken) in coconut oil it sticks to my pan,  I have both a teflon coated skillet and a stainless steel skillet..makes no difference..it sticks.  Help???

I have a question, are you using coconut oil or coconut manna? Coconut manna or butter would probably stick to the pan because it is really thick. It is kind of like almond butter or peanut butter so it would not work to keep food from sticking. If you are using coconut oil I can't understand why your food would stick. Maybe you need to use more or turn down the heat? I use coconut oil all the time and my food doesn't stick. Another tip might be to add some water to the pan, unless you are trying to fry your meat. I hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Food sticks to a pan that is not properly heated.  

Be sure the pan has already reached the desired

cooking temperature before dropping in your food.

Happy cooking!   :)

I agree.  Be sure your pan is hot first.  I wet my hand and sprinkle the water in to be sure it's hot enough.  For a "medium" temperature on my gas stove, the water sizzles away into gas almost instantly.  Then add your coconut oil.  Allow it to melt completely.  Swirl it around the pan so it coats the bottom completely (and around the sides depending on what you're cooking).  Then add your meat.  

• 1 month later...

+1! Getting the pan to the right temperture is the trick. I did an online cooking school a few months ago and they showed how to test for the right temperature with a little water:

Of course this is just to understand what's going on, don't mix oil with the water! :)

You can tell if the oil is the right temp by picking up the pan and moving the oil around a bit. It should have "legs" like when you swirl around good wine in a glass. If it doesn't have "legs" it's prob too cold, if it's smoking, too hot.

The other trick is not to keep moving the meat.  People want to fuss with it, or turn it too early.  Put the meat in the pan and leave it be for a few minutes.  At first it sticks, but that's how you know when it's time to turn it over--when it releases from the bottom of the pan on its own. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Try lowering the heat on the eggs and use enough fat. If you're using cast iron for the eggs, it's very tricky for that purpose. I still use evil Teflon when I want fried eggs with runny yolks.

LadyM's advice is excellent. I had problems with my eggs sticking all the time too. Lower heat + more fat.

Also, I dedicated a small sautee pan to eggs. Nothing touches it but eggs, so I'm hoping to reduce the wear and tear from cooking veggies or meat in it and keep it nice and smooth for a long time.

Archived