Random question-Coconut milk

Canned is the way to go on a Whole30, as most boxed coconut milks contain sugar/sweetener or carrageenan.

On canned, one thing to watch out for is potassium metabisulfite: any product with that ingredient is not compliant.

The only boxed compliant brand I have found is Arroy-D (also the most delicious in my opinion.)  The ones our local coffee shop carry has cane juice and carageenan (like Chris already mentioned.)

Trader Joe's has an inexpensive compliant canned version.  I believe they are all "light" - which only means that they have added water.  Usually I think that's a rip-off but at $0.99 a can I make an exception. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Is there a 100% clean canned coconut you can buy on amazon?  I have read the posts below but either I can't see the ingredients or it has something I don't want in there.  

Suggestions?

Thank you!

I love the boxed Aroy-D, bought on Amazon. It is 100% coconut milk and does not separate and get lumpy like the canned kind with guar gum. The canned brand I bought via Amazon previous to finding Aroy-D was Native Forest, just coconut milk and guar gum. Good, but like I said, gets separated and lumpy.

Agree on the Arroy-D products, I use both the coconut cream and the coconut milk. They are packaged in cartons instead of cans. Ingredients are water and coconut, period. Love the quality but it isn't cheap.

On the seperation thing, when I cook with coconut milk/cream I WANT the separation of the "solids" from the liquids as much as possible and ideally this will happen at room temperature, not having to refrigerate first. I haven't been able to get this to happen with a canned product in a while it seems, maybe it's just my bad luck. I used to have no issues with Thai Kitchen but somewhere along the line they seem to have changed.

My understanding of the added guar gum, and I may be (am likely, hehe) incorrect, is that it's added to help the product maintain stability and viscosity on the shelf thus it should separate LESS (but may be more lumpy). My wife prefers this when she uses it in her coffee since it's a little bit more of a heavy cream consistency rather than like scooping out coconut butter (what I get the Arroy-D cream for).

I wish I could find a cheaper source for Arroy-D products than Amazon though, although it certainly makes me more careful about using up all my Thai curry leftovers!!

X

Yeah, Thai Kitchen brand used to be my go to canned coconut milk, but a few months ago, I had a couple cans actually go bad - rancid stinky poopy bad!  So I moved on.  I now use Whole Foods store brand... 365 organic (whole fat).  I've been very happy with it.

my local asian market (which is about 5 blocks from my house!) carries Arroy-D brand coconut milk in 3 different containers. They are either 60% coconut and water, or 70% coconut and water. They sell them in a 14oz. can, a 19oz. can, and a carton. None of them have any added stabilizers or thickeners or preservatives. They will separate if allowed to sit for a long time, but if you shake the can before opening, it mixes right back together and is smooth and perfectly silky, unlike some brands that have little clumps and grainy bits. Also, the cans of Arroy-D are $1.70 for the 14oz, $2 for 19oz. and $2.69 for the cartons, so really, really affordable too.

Anyone close to Asia (hello Aussies!), if you can find it, the Ayam brand is pure coconut, nothing else :) You can get coconut cream or coconut milk. It's a smaller can size, which can be annoying for recipes needing a whole normal size can.

Archived