sardines...what do I do with them?

Clabby

I do mine up much like tuna salad. Mixed with either olive oil or Paleo mayo, tomato, onion, cilantro (my grocer makes a fresh pico de gallo with those plus jalapeños that's perfect), then I put it over a bed of Spring greens. You could hard boil an egg and chop that up and mix it in the mashed sardines with a little ground mustard and Paleo mayo (super easy to make with a stick blender if you have one).

I also really like sardines packed in olive oil. I get the Crown Prince brand. The least sardiney tasting sardines I've ever had.

I bought two tins of water packed sardines at Trader Joes and they are just waiting to be used. I've never tasted them. Any suggestions? Can I eat them whole?

Try The Clothes Make The Girl Fried Sardines. Not sure if it is on her blog. It is in her new book Well Fed 2. I am trying them this weekend or maybe tonight!

I eat them straight from the tin! Our dogs go crazy the minute they're opened too...

My dog goes *bananas* as well when I open a tin of sardines (or tuna). I give him the "water" and he is in heaven :)

Clabby, my first time trying sardines has been on this Whole30...and I think they are delicious. I think before you do anything fancy with them, just try them on a simple Nicoise salad (or any salad, really), just to get a sense of what they taste like. Sometimes, instead of mixing a can of tuna or salmon in a salad (as a meal), I will use a can of sardines instead. Lots of flavour. Just make sure you pull out the spine/bones before eating (my dog loves that too)!

Do they come with the heads on, lol?  I bought a can of sardines, oh, maybe a year ago (need to check to see if they are expired) and I've been too afraid to eat them, lol.  I'm a sissy, but I can't get past eating them whole.  Maybe I can try cutting the heads off, lol.  Or, maybe I should just open the can to see how bad they actually LOOK, lol.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Make these with sardines instead of tuna.  I go through 4 packs of sardines a week making these :)

I skip the oil since the sardines aren't as dry as tuna.  And I just fry mine in a pan with lard or coconut oil since muffin tins are a pain to clean.  I use dried onions (or dried shallots) and dried jalapeno (both from Penzey's) to save time.  I keep washed and de-stemmed cilantro in my freezer and we always have baked sweet potatoes around - so with those time savers this is super quick to put together.  

Archived