Favorite meatloaf recipe?

AmyS

I'm looking for a good meatloaf recipe to go with the homemade ketchup I just made for the first time.  I made the one from the Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook.  It has smoked paprika and it's just delicious.

All of my meatloaf recipes feature bread crumbs or cubes, and I don't want to just leave them out and do the recipe as a Brick 'O Meat.  I'm hopeful someone here has a good recipe for a tasty and unbricklike meatloaf.  'Cause otherwise I may just eat all the ketchup with nothing underneath it.

The good news is that this particular ketchup actually IS a vegetable!!!!

This is mine, adapted from Joy of Cooking. It's juicy, not dry or brick like at all :)

1 cup Almond flour [baking]

1 cup Catsup, Use homemade recipe [Condiments]

2/3 cup Fresh parsley, chopped [Produce]

4 large Eggs, lightly beaten [Dairy]

1 1/2 tsp Ground thyme [spices]

1 1/2 tsp salt [spices]

3/4 tsp Pepper [spices]

2 pounds Ground beef, Can use beef and/or venison [Meat]

1 pound Ground pork, Can use pork and/or turkey or chicken [Meat]

1-2 stalks Celery, minced [Produce]

2-3 Carrots, minced, Or 8 oz. mushrooms, minced [Produce]

2 cups Onions, minced [Produce]

Put everything in large bowl. Knead mixture with hands until everything is well blended. Do not overmix.

Fill 2 bread loaf pans with meat mixture.

Bake at 350* until the meat is firm to touch and has shrunk from the sides of the pan! or an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the loaf reads 160*, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.

Pour off the excess fat and let stand for 15 minutes before serving.

If have extra meatloaf mixture, roll into meatballs and place on a foil-covered baking sheet. Bake at 400* until browned, about 20-30 minutes.

Here is a gluten free recipe I developed before we did our whole 30.  Since you made your own ketchup, you can use that as the glaze instead of the sugar/ketchup one in the recipe.

You can probably just leave out the worcestershire sauce unless you have a compliant version.

If you do 1 lb beef and 1 lb pork, it helps lighten the density of the loaf.  Making it a free standing loaf instead of using a loaf pan really helps it not be a 'meat brick'.

http://www.grassfedisbetter.com/home/recipes/meatloaf

Archived