drank.Emergenc supplement :(

Idahotopaz

I've,been whole30 compliant since March 3 with the exception of cheating with weighing myself daily to stay motivated. I know it's a big no no, lectures welcome..

My weight loss has completely stalled over the last 3 days. Actually my weight went up 1.2 lbs. Before that I was steadily losing half lb a day. The only thing different is that I started,getting really sick and taking emergenc supplements which I just realized has real sugar! 6g! Do you think this could be what's stalled my weight? I've been drinking 3 a day. I'm so bummed That after all of my hard work I seem to have ruined my whole 30. I took the supplements because I felt myself getting sick and I have a 5 month old to take care of! I find severity and duration of a cold is reduced wheb I take tge supplements.

First, hide your scale.  Better yet, have a loved one hide it and do not let them tell you where they hid it.  This is crucial. 

Second, you don't have to restart your Whole30 (if I remember the rules correctly) for accidental ingestion of sugar.  Just put the supplement away for the duration of your Whole30.

Third, put away your scale.

Fourth, put away your scale.

Fifth, put away your scale.

Just remember that you're in this for 30 days.  If you're desperate to weigh yourself at that point, go ahead.  You can have a significant alteration in weight on a daily basis due to everything from needing to poop to starting your period to not getting enough hydration.  Weighing yourself is one of the worst things you can do to sabotage your Whole30.

Really.  Go put away your scale right now. 

Also, feel better soon.  I have a nasty sloppy icky cold right now and feel horrible, and I don't have a baby to take care of - hope you feel much better soon and hope your little one stays healthy.

You're five months out from giving birth.  The changes your body is going through are radical and you deserve a lot more love than your scale will give you.  Every time you want to get on the scale just look at your baby (who, if I recall correctly, is still at an age where s/he is attached to you pretty much 24/7, so that should be easy to do).

Finally, put away your scale.  And feel better.

Amy, your reply brought tears to my eyes, thank you! I seem to forget that my body needs patience and love as I had a major postpartum hemorrhage and am still very anemic. Also breastfeeding! So you are so right that I need to break the scale habit. Luckily, baby and I are headed out of town to visit family and I will be separated from the scale for the next 10 days! so I'll go cold turkey on the scale far past my official whole 30 end date

date. Thank you so much for your compassionate response.

Have your tried regular vitamin C or Echinacea? I am not sure if you are nursing so I don't know if you can have those. Those help me when I am fighting a cold. It is possible the sugar is responsible for your weight. I think the reason the whole30 tells you to give up your scale is to break your habit.  Weight loss is not always the same from week to week that is why I don't think it is a valuable measurement. I think if I had weighed myself during my whole30 I never would have made it to day 30. I did not lose one pound. How are you sleeping, are you controlling your cravings, are you enjoying what you are eating, have you noticed any other improvements?

I am not sure if you are still doing a whole30 or if it ended on March 3rd and you are post whole30. Please don't feel that you have ruined your whole30. The whole30 is just the beginning of the rest of your life and now you get to chose how to live it. If you think the Emergency drinks help with your cold then drink them after your whole30. This is not a weight loss program it is a life program. Think about all the valuable lessons that you learned during your whole30. Good Luck!

Amy, your reply brought tears to my eyes, thank you! I seem to forget that my body needs patience and love as I had a major postpartum hemorrhage and am still very anemic. Also breastfeeding! So you are so right that I need to break the scale habit. Luckily, baby and I are headed out of town to visit family and I will be separated from the scale for the next 10 days! so I'll go cold turkey on the scale far past my official whole 30 end date

date. Thank you so much for your compassionate response.

Oh my goodness!  Yes, your body needs lots of patience!  I had major problems post partum too and it took a long time to start to feel like myself again.  It's so hard to want to be up and about and to discover, once again, that your body isn't ready yet.  You'll be back to full strength soon, but you can't rush it. 

Also, if you're breastfeeding, and that dratted scale indicated your weight loss was steady and daily, I suspect that you need to eat more.  Four or five meals per day plus sip on a can of coconut milk throughout the day.  Really.

So glad you get to be away from your scale.  It will revolutionize your life.  Just make sure it's hidden when you come back home.

Eat more, rest up as much as you can with a baby, and know that you're getting stronger every day.  You'll be back in the game - and you won't need a scale to get you there.

I've done two Whole30s all the way through and I have been guilty of weekly weigh-ins, with the premise of just wanting to see how it fluctuated throughout the stages of the Whole30 (love all the things, kill all the things, eat all the things, etc). You know. In the name of science and experimentation. It really did nothing for me, and even though I swore to myself it was "just to see," I have SO MUCH invested in that three-digit number and I'm so terrified that I'll lose control without it that I shouldn't ever be allowed to own a scale again.

Taking a break from the scale is like finally breaking off an abusive relationship. All the scale ever told me is that no matter how clean I was eating or how good I felt, I was still not ideal, still not 145 or 135 or 125 or whatever number I'd pinned my success and value as a person on that day. Still Not. Good. Enough. All it was good for was making me feel guilty for eating the whole sweet potato instead of cutting it in half and making me wonder if I should really be cutting back to two eggs for breakfast even though I could hold three. It invaded all my thoughts and took away from the joy of eating real food, having newfound bursts of energy, and having a steadily positive mood throughout the day. I took the scale and put it in my mom's bathroom, because she has no such relationship with the scale and uses it twice a month as one of several markers of her body composition without any sense of guilt tied to it like I have. I fully intend to never allow one into my home once I live on my own.

Lose the scale. Feel the joy. Feel the love.

OMG Kristina - you just pegged me! 

I am also guilty of weekly weigh in's and have been a questioning what I am eating and how much.

Especially the amount of fat I am consuming.  All because I haven't lost any weight yet

Every time I get on the scale I think what the heck am doing wrong.  I should have lost weight by now.

It causes confusion and apprehension.  Sucks the fun right out of the whole experience.

I know I am doing all the right things-not cheating & exercising.  I just have to be patient.

I am going to have my hubby hide when I get home!

Not weighing in daily has been one of the hardest things about Whole30 for me, but I do understand the importance of the rule, and I will keep it.  

I had to laugh at your last line laurobnat!  I assume you mean you are going to have your hubby hide your scale...but perhaps if you are in the "Kill All the Things" phase your sentence is okay as written!  LOL!

The Whole30 is not about weight loss.  This can't be overstated.  The Whole30 is about getting *past* weight and food obsession and learning what your body needs to be authentically healthy.  Will you lose weight by doing the Whole30?  Probably.  Does it really matter?  Honestly... probably not.  

Very few (no?) women (or men, for that matter) are completely happy with their appearance.  Using the Whole30 to lose "those last 10lbs" (or however much you think you need to lose before you can be happy) is perpetuating the eat-guilt-loathe-eat cycle.  Put the scale away and remember that, for at least 30 days, IT. DOESN'T. MATTER.

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old post, but I happened back on it because I've been feeling less than stellar lately, and I had to add something:

I had a classmate in my MS program who was a personal trainer and she always said, "trust the process." She recommended the usual 5-meal-a-day, fairly low-fat bikini/bodybuilder type diet (she was a bikini competitor, after all... and still has my copy of ISWF, as a matter of fact...) but her words resonated anyway. She got a group of us started with fasted cardio on the daily, a gym plan, and a meal plan (I was attempting to get a Whole30 off the ground, so I ignored her meal plan) and her rule was to measure and weigh-in one time, then NO SCALE for THREE MONTHS. Toss the scale, and TRUST THE PROCESS.

I'm having to pep-talk myself these last few days, and I think I should share it with others: It's WAY too easy to get hung up on the scale or the tape measure or the pants... and if we're ever going to really embrace health, we HAVE to trust in the process.

The best remedy when you are getting sick is rest and sleep.  of course that is nigh impossible when you have a 5 month old.  Unless you have a very helpful spouse who can assume the duties for a full day and night or two, so you can rest and let your immune system do it's job of course...

That being said, if you need vitamins, just eat the fruit.  Make yourself some bone broth as well.  These emergen-c and similar supplements are just marketing ploys, they aren't proven to do anything to make you feel better.  

Anyway I hate to lecture, makes me sound cranky.  As for dropping weight, it's probably close to impossible to lose weight every single day.  Our body weight fluctuates a little here and there once in a while so if you go up a pound or something it's not the end of the world, especially if you are doing the right thing with your food intake and activity levels.  

Archived