Making Mayo

Bz1027

Help! I just tried making mayo in my blender and the stuff that splattered on the side of the blender had a consistency something like mayo but the bottom was very liquidy.

I thought I drizzled slow enough, it took at least 2 minutes.

The recipe said to blend on medium, my blender does not have a medium setting, only hi or lo.

I saw somewhere to put it in a container in the fridge for a few hours and then stir it up. 

Can my mayo attempt be saved?  Is my blender not right because I don't have a medium setting?

Thanks for any help you can give a mayo making newbie :)

Actually, you want to blend on low speed.

You can use what you have as a base for salad dressing. Or,  you can try adding an egg yolk and blending on low to see if that thickens it up for you.

Low speed is the way to go, either with a traditional blender or stick blender

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't have a stick blender, lots of people have one in their kitchen they don't want, it's worth asking around :)

I was going to mention the stick blender (immersion blender) as well, mayo has never been easier since I switched to using this method exclusively. The blenders are pretty cheap, as low as $15-$20 with good reviews at Amazon, and a lot easier to clean up than either the blender or food processor after making mayo too.

I just dump my ingredients into a wide-mouth mason pint jar and hit it for a minute or less with the stick blender, cap it, and refrigerate it. Instant mayo goodness!!

This is also how I whip up my cauliflower "mashed potatos", soups, etc - definitely a must-have tool in my kitchen!

X

I make my mayo in a ninja with only one setting and it turns out great!  I use this recipe and add an extra egg yolk to the whole egg at the beginning to cuddle up with the lemon juice :)http://www.theclothesmakethegirl/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

I have also saved a batch of mayo by putting a new egg yolk and 1T lemon juice in the blender to cuddle for 20 minutes and then slowly drizzling in my "broken mayo"

I've never used a blender, so I'm not sure about how best to use it.  If you do have a stick blender, though, give it a try.  I had one that wasn't strong enough, so I bought  Breville and it's amazing.

Also, I don't bother bringing ingredients to room temperature or doing anything slowly.  My stick blender is on top speed (15!) and I start and stop it several times until KAPOW, mayo!

Archived