Cortney's First Whole30

coco12

I'm starting my first Whole30 tomorrow! I'm so excited! I'll keep a log throughout for the sheer accountability of it, as well as to track what I'm doing so I can troubleshoot if the need arises.

Here's what's planned for tomorrow (and I am eating 2/3 meals at work- they're already packed- so it'd be hard for these to change!)

Pre-WO: 1/2 Applegate farms hot dog, 5 cashews

Post-WO: other 1/2 Applegate farms hot dog, 3-4 chunks of butternut squash

Breakfast: 2 eggs, little bit of leftover steak from tonight's dinner (YUM), broccoli

Lunch: tuna salad (tuna, homemade mayo, celery, red bell pepper), 1 hard boiled egg, orange

Dinner: 2 Applegate farms hot dogs, roasted and mashed acorn squash, roasted asparagus, mushrooms, 1/2 avocado, 1 cup of strawberries and kiwi

My workouts right now are Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30. I'm hoping once the tiger blood kicks in (knock on wood) to add in jogging/running, but I don't want to over-stress my body right at the beginning.

I was just on a very, very strict diet - seriously only allowed vegetables, fruit, and whole milk (blech), and before that followed a low-fat vegan lifestyle (or a high-sugar, binge-y lifestyle… depended what day!). I'm so happy to have reintroduced meat into my life (have been doing it slowly over the last two weeks), and super stoked to really invest in my health versus being obsessed with losing weight. I definitely have weight that I'd like to lose, but I'm more focused on other aspects of my health at this point (after a scary moment with the milk and veggie diet).

I'm also excited to find a sustainable routine that will help me through the next six months of a lot of transition- I'm finishing an internship, going home for the summer where I'll be working with an organization I recently co-founded (on top of a "real job"), and then going to graduate school in the fall. I tend to get super stressed and anxious, and I really need to address that before continuing on with these super exciting opportunities. Hopefully It (literally) Starts With Food. (See what I did there? ;) )

Goals for my Whole30:

• Nutrition: Slay my sugar dragon (Note: I'm avoiding apples, grapes, bananas, and mangos, as those are major sugary triggers for me! Also avoiding nut butters for a similar reason!)
  • Sleep: Find a before-bed routine that helps me fall asleep quickly (it can take me up to an hour to fall asleep.
  • Stress management: Oh, man. I just really hope to reduce my stress/anxiety. If anyone has some thoughts for how to work on this, I'd love to hear them!
  • Exercise: I will finish the 30 Day Shred and begin training for a 5K (not my first time, I just need/want to get back to running regularly after a loooong winter).
  • Other: This is less of a goal, more of a watch-what-happens, but I'm interested to see if the dark circles under my eyes go away! I've had them since middle school and they drive me CRAZY. I saw that this was one of the measurements of health that people have seen before- I certainly wouldn't mind an improvement here!

Welcome  Cortney!

Looks like you've prepared well!

On the stress management piece, you're building a good foundation with choosing to do a Whole30 and improved sleep.

On the sleep piece, start with no screens at least 1 hour before bed: no TV, phone, computers, tablets or ereaders.  Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep. Quiet, cool dark room.

Adding in exercise will help on the stress management.

The following additional tips on stress I got from attending Melissa Hartwig's Whole9 seminar yesterday:

-  maintain good in person/social support (off line)

- get outside regularly: ideally around grass, trees, in nature

- do your mundane 'to do's' for the next day the night before (e.g., lay out your clothes, decide on your breakfast and lunch)

- create a plan. Write out or document your to do's. The brain loves a plan. Once it's out of your head, your brain is free to do other things. This can be helpful especially before bed, to contribute to a quiet mind.

Put those foundational pieces in place first (perhaps as part of your Whole30), and if you find you need additional stress management help, come on back and ask.

Thank you, Chris! Those are great things to do. I'm currently pretty far away from friends and family, but it's helpful to have other ways to address the stress when I can't be with them. And thanks to technology, they're only a phone call away!  :)

I'm definitely going to strive to cut off the screens an hour before bed- I'll keep track of that here, too, and make it a part of the Whole30 (in addition to stress management).

Thanks for the support!

Today was pretty good, but I had an unfortunate surprise when I got to work- one of my classes would be from 4:30-7:30 rather than 5:30-7:30, so my plans of eating an early dinner were ruined! Here's what I actually ate today:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, little bit of leftover steak from tonight's dinner (YUM), broccoli, little bit of butternut squash

Lunch: 2 Applegate farms hot dogs, roasted and mashed acorn squash, roasted asparagus, mushrooms, 1/2 avocado, 1 cup of strawberries and kiwi

Mini-meal (before class, since I knew I wouldn't eat until 8:30ish): hard boiled egg, orange, pistachios

Dinner: tuna salad (tuna, homemade mayo, celery, red bell pepper), romaine lettuce, tomato, cucumber, 1/2 sweet potato

I ended up adding in more carbs for meals today- I don't think I want to reduce them quite so drastically quite so soon, especially for breakfast! I'd rather see where my hormonally correct appetite leads me.  ^_^ 

Tomorrow's plan:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, Target Simply Balanced chicken sausage, broccoli, little bit of butternut squash

Lunch: tuna salad (tuna, homemade mayo, celery, red bell pepper), romaine lettuce, tomato, cucumber, 1/2 sweet potato, orange

Dinner: swordfish, roasted carrots, roasted fennel, yellow squash, strawberries and kiwi

I'm getting off screens so I can have my hour of no screen time! Unfortunately it will be spent working on something for work, but not everything can be perfect, right? :rolleyes: 

Today went pretty much as planned, except that I had some extra pistachios as a snack (shouldn't have left them in my desk). Work was incredibly stressful today, and I totally self-soothed with those pistachios. I think it was a pretty revealing moment. So, I won't be bringing any extra food to stash around the office any more- it'll just end up being a crutch. I really just need to deal with my stress/anxiety, which is harder than eating pistachios, but more healthy in the long run.

Swordfish is DELICIOUS. That is all I have to say about that.

Tomorrow's plan:

Breakfast: Two eggs, broccoli, chicken sausage, 1/2 avocado

Lunch: 2 Applegate farms hot dogs, roasted carrots, mashed cauliflower, green beans, olives

Dinner: beef burger, 1/2 avocado, cucumber, leftover roasted beets (not much left), yellow squash, sweet potato

I'm feeling good- no headache today- but it was hard not having chocolate when it was such a stressful day! It was worth it though, and it helped me to really start thinking about how much I rely on food as comfort rather than just dealing with the problem at hand.

Oh, and I forgot- I had a crazy food dream last night! I dreamed that I ate a piece of bread (like a bite), and then was so mad at myself, then woke up and realized it was a dream, but then ate ice cream. Then I actually woke up, and it took a while to realize that both of the cheats were dreams.

If those keep happening, I'm totally starting a dream journal. There could be some brilliant absurdist theatre coming out of this Whole30.

I woke up this morning incredibly stressed- still feeling the tension in my body from yesterday. I decided to not work out and just get an extra hour of sleep, which I think was good for me mentally, although I'm still carrying some tension in my shoulders. It's just going to be a rough few weeks at work and I have to accept that. Other than that, I'm feeling pretty good- it's so nice to be full throughout the day, not constantly hungry!

I do think that this weekend I'm going to find a yoga dvd that is short but varied and focused on stress relief. That would have been a great way to start the day. I also think I'm going to get a massage soon!  :D

Today was almost as planned, except that I had a sweet potato with breakfast (I was wanting a nice starchy meal) and I added an extra egg to breakfast, too-- instead of the 1/2 avocado. I knew I would be eating a late lunch so I wanted something to last me through the day. I swapped the squash and green beans and I had some butternut squash, mushrooms, and onions with dinner. I basically just added a bunch of veggies! I'm so used to being on a vegetarian diet that I still eat a TON of veggies.

Which brings me to a question, if anyone can help a girl out… Is it a problem for me to have a starchy vegetable (like carrots, winter squashes, etc) at every meal? I'm only having one sweet potato a day, but I do have a tendency to always add a starch. Some of that comes from my prior eating habits as a vegan, but it doesn't seem to go against the template technically. I am definitely having lots of low-carb veggies as well; if I had to guess, I'd say I usually do 2/3 low-carb veg, 1/3 carby veg.

If I am looking to lose a little weight and slay that sugar dragon, should I be more careful about this?

Tomorrow's plan:

Pre-WO: 1/2 Applegate farms hot dog, a few cashews

Post-WO: other half of the hot dog

Breakfast: Zucchini, 3 eggs, butternut squash, cashews (not a whole serving because of the fat in eggs- that's okay, right?)

Lunch: yellow squash, roasted fennel, beef burger, 1/2 avocado, a couple of slices of tomatoes and cucumbers, butternut squash, orange

Dinner: beef burger with sautéed mushrooms and zucchini, sweet potato, mashed cauliflower, green beans (it's an eat-all-the-leftovers kind of day!)

I am exhausted from a super long day at work (yet again), so I'll make this short.

Some edits from yesterday's plan, but I stuck to the template, EXCEPT (dun-dun-dun) I had an apple and a larabar for a snack today.

It was between M2 and M3 and I knew M3 wasn't for several more hours due to a work obligation. I looked for a protein source but the store I was in didn't have anything that was compliant. I settled for a larabar and an apple and boy, was it yummy. I totally spoiled my sugar dragon rotten with that snack, but I didn't get off track today despite an abundance of baked goods at the office, so I'm okay with what I did.

I'm starting to wonder if I eat too much, but I always feel so delightfully full after my meals, and until today I haven't really needed a snack, so I'm just going to continue to pay attention to my signals, I guess.

Well. What a weekend. I was just going to go to bed, but I know I need to keep up with this log.

I've been awful about exercising this week. To be fair, I've been working at least 3 hours longer each day than normal, so a lot of my time has been taken up, but I miss exercising. Looking forward to a run and some strength training tomorrow.

I've been eating totally compliant to the template, but I think I'm eating too much. I'm just becoming aware of my satiety. I'm used to eating loads and loads of veggies to make up for the lack of protein, but I'm realizing I really don't need that much- which is great, because my food bill is getting pretty high! I've been eating later than I'd like- at 9 or 10pm due to not getting home any earlier- and as a result have been doing "mini-meals" at 4 or so to last me until then. I'd go ahead and eat at work, but I'm always there late because of a performance or a class and therefore can't eat during the time I normally would!

I won't post a log because I need to go to sleep, but here are my five takeaways and goals from week 1:

1. Once the fruit currently in my fridge is gone (I hate wasting good produce), I'm going to reduce my fruit intake to 4 fruits/week (ish- I don't want to stress about it, but I want a good baseline)

2. I'm going to reduce my starchy vegetable intake to 2 meals/day maximum instead of all three. This week, I've got spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes, and carrots on deck for starches. I think I need to trust my body to figure itself out without all of the starch that I'm so used to relying on!

3. I'm going to be more careful with my portion sizes. I have been sticking to the template, but I eat a lot of veggies, and I don't think I need to eat so much. I want to be more tuned into my satiety. I'm used to eating very quickly on the go, and I need to take my time and listen to my body's signals while I eat. It's certainly not bad to eat a lot of veggies, but I don't want to overeat just because I can.

4. Kombucha is delicious, but past that, my one experience with it had an incredible effect on my anxiety and stress. I bought some on the morning of my "kill all the things" day and literally was singing songs the rest of the day. I'm going to keep it to a weekly treat at most (it's pricy!), but I'm going to think of it as a way to address my anxiety. I'll be having some tomorrow before I start working on my taxes, for sure. I can't wait to start making some, but I'm moving again in 2 months and then again in 2.5 months… Not sure that it makes a ton of sense for me to start while I'm here...

5. If I tell myself, "I don't have to work out if I don't want to," I won't work out. I have to make the commitment. I'm making the commitment now, to whoever is reading this, that I will work out 5 days this week. I need it for stress management and just to be a healthier human!

Overall, I feel great. I think that it would be very difficult for someone to convince me to eat any other way at this point. I know that my sugar dragon is still there, but I'm going to starve him! 

Ironically, received my Whole Daily this morning and it was focusing on reflecting on the week before. I think I've already done some of that!

I'll have late nights almost every night this week at work, so having soup ready to go when I come home should help a lot. I'm not a huge fan of eating the same thing every night, but I'll have to get over it for this week. I'm also going to pack some Applegate deli turkey and olives to keep in the fridge at work as a "just in case" mini-meal- just in case I'm staying later than normal or I'm really hungry.

I'm looking forward to turning the corner a little bit with all of this. While I haven't had a lot of negative side-effects, I haven't yet experienced positive side-effects -- at least, not to the degree that I've noticed them. I'm excited for that to happen. I do believe that this style of eating is going to become permanent, though!

Today's meal plan:

Breakfast: 2 egg scramble with acorn squash, brussels sprouts, hot dog; orange

Lunch: salmon with zucchini, squash, and kiwi

Dinner: swordfish with sweet potato, coconut flakes, yellow squash

Doing a cook-up for the week today. It will include:

- beef stew

- tuna salad

- boiled eggs

- paleo mayo

- steaming veggies for breakfast scrambles

- baking sweet potatoes for the week

- roasting an eggplant

Tomorrow's meal plan:

Pre-WO: 1/2 hot dog

Post-WO: 1/2 hot dog

Breakfast: 3 fried eggs, eggplant, kale, kiwi

Lunch: tuna salad on top of a green salad, sweet potato with coconut flakes

Dinner: beef stew, olives with dijon mustard

This week's workout plan:

M: Ripped in 30, run

T: Ripped in 30, run

W: rest

Th: Ripped in 30, run

F: Ripped in 30

S: Ripped in 30, run

Today's meal plan:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with zucchini, red bell pepper, and 1/2 of a Applegate hot dog chopped up alongside a sweet potato and some olives with horseradish mustard (I love this combo, but the mustard was a bit intense for breakfast)

Lunch: tuna salad (1 can of tuna, Well Fed mayo, celery, red bell pepper) on top of romaine with cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and compliant dill pickles. Olives, kiwi, and a hard boiled egg on the side. (Yesterday I had this lunch without olives and egg, and was not satiated long enough, so adding some more protein and fat today).

Pre-WO: deli turkey slice (Applegate)

Post-WO: deli turkey slice (Applegate)

Dinner: Beef stew topped with an avocado (may add some additional roasted carrots).

Hoping to get in both a run and a Ripped in 30 workout today since yesterday's workout was so fantastic! Feeling the burn a little today but nowhere near the discomfort I used to feel in my muscles when I would push myself in my workouts.

Had another weird dream last night and woke up thinking I would have to restart. In my dream, I ate stale chips. Stale chips! I don't even like chips that much. . Spent some time this morning thinking about the things I used to eat and why. I'm excited to be changing some very old patterns.

Just confirm your Applegate Turkey is compliant. They added carrageenan to some of their turkey products last year. I tried to view their ingredients on their website, and they seem to have removed them.

OH NO I'M SO UPSET! I feel like an idiot. I definitely read the label at the store, but I must have just scanned it for sugar and not carrageenan. GAH!

I've decided over the last day or so to just extend this to a Whole60 anyway, so it's less of a time thing, but do you think I should start over? Mainly, do you think I should start my Whole30 Daily emails at the beginning? I've been pretty on-schedule in terms of the timeline, but I was on my last slice of turkey today, so I've definitely consumed some nasties.

Thanks so much for your thoughts (and for catching that! I could kick myself!!).

You're welcome ... I'm a bit bummed that my suspicions were correct.  :(

On the daily, I'd say do what you feel will help keep you motivated. Either way, since you're extending to 60, the dailys will finish before you hit day 60. 

Oof. Yes, I knew they wouldn't last, but I wasn't sure if the carrageenan would mess up my "symptoms" so much that I should start over. I suppose I'll wait and see what happens!

My workout today was amazing AGAIN! You know something's going on when you are avoiding your rest day (although I take rest days seriously, no worries- I'm just excited to keep this up! And to think, this could be the rest of my life!)

Also, as a side bar, frozen broccoli and kale work great for sore thighs and breakfast. Double value.

Today:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with zucchini, red bell pepper, and an Applegate hot dog chopped up alongside a sweet potato and some olives with horseradish mustard (I love this combo, but the mustard was a bit intense for breakfast)

Lunch: tuna salad (1 can of tuna, Well Fed mayo, celery, red bell pepper) on top of romaine with cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and compliant dill pickles. Olives, kiwi, and a hard boiled egg on the side. (Yesterday I had this lunch without olives and egg, and was not satiated long enough, so adding some more protein and fat today). EDIT: It worked! I won't count on one tin of tuna as enough protein from now on.

Pre-WO: deli turkey slice (Applegate) (DARN, too late.)

Dinner: Beef stew topped with an avocado.

Tomorrow's plan: 

Breakfast:  2 eggs scrambled with zucchini, red bell pepper, and an Applegate hot dog chopped up alongside a sweet potato and some coconut

Lunch: egg salad made with 3 eggs and homemade mayo, romaine lettuce, yellow onion, cucumber, canteloupe 

Dinner: coconut chicken curry made with chicken thigh meat, coconut milk, and broccoli, carrots, onions, red bell peppers, water chestnuts, mushrooms, and celery (frozen bag of veggies- easy to read the ingredients because it's currently icing my thighs. Casual.)

Energy's lower today than it has been. Most likely because I've had such a crazy schedule and have not been getting consistent sleep, but I'm also wondering if it has to do with the carrageenan. Skipped the strength part of my workout today because I was just so tired after running. Boo! I miss the tiger blood.

I'm also still bloated. Whomp, whomp. Hoping that my body will re-align with the timeline soon.

I've been eating late night mini-meals the last two days. My eating schedule has been really off- I was starving for dinner at 4pm yesterday! I ate a nice big breakfast today so hopefully that will help.

Today:

Post-WO: kind of? I ate three bites of a sweet potato because I was starving but needed to make breakfast first. I know I should have just had protein and called it a real Post-WO. 

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 2 carrots, 1 pear-apple (YUM), yellow squash and kale sautéed with cinnamon and coconut flakes (double YUM)

Lunch: coconut chicken curry made with chicken thigh meat, coconut milk, and veggies, with 2 carrots

Dinner: coconut chicken curry again, with a sweet potato

​Lots of starchy veggies today, but we're having a big party for work tonight and I know I will be out late. Combined with my lack of energy today, I want to make sure I have some good energy.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Couple of things: 

- The only compliant Applegate slice meat I've seen is roast beef.  But its tasty :)  I eat 2 slices every day after crossfit.

- Have you tried magnesium for helping you sleep?  I use Magnesium Serene and LOVE it.  Epsom salt baths are also a great way of getting magnesium but via your skin rather your GI system.  When I take an epsom salt bath at night I sleep like the dead.

- There is a HUGE kombucha thread on this site - if you want to get into brewing your own.  Knocks the cost down to about a nickel for a 16 oz bottle ;)

Hi littleg! Thanks for checking in. :) I haven't tried Magnesium yet. I've actually been going to sleep very easily lately. I don't think I ever realized how stressful it was for me to just lie awake hoping to fall asleep. The problem this week has been that my body has been ready to go to sleep, but my to-do list is not a fan of that idea! I'll be sure to keep magnesium in mind, too. I've been wanting to do an epsom salt bath! Need to make that happen. I can't wait to start brewing my own kombucha but I'm moving twice over the next six months, so I'm not sure it's a good idea for me to start quite yet!

Today, I went to a llama/alpaca/yak farm (casual) and bought some grass-fed beef and grass-fed YAK sausages. Yum, I had one tonight, and it was so good!! 

I only bought four fruits for this week… and I've eaten two in the last two days. I really want to be strict on this, but I just love fruit! Hopefully only having two more in my fridge will make a difference.

I haven't been great about exercising the last two days despite the beautiful weather we have. My energy just isn't there. I'm trying to go easy on myself since I know this is the phase when people most often quit, and I can get overwhelmed if I'm working on too many things at once. But I'd really like to at least see a changed body composition at the end of this… We shall see.

Today

Breakfast: 3 eggs, kale, yellow squash, sautéed in coconut oil and topped with coconut flakes, sweet potato

Lunch: cod fried in coconut oil, bag of frozen steamed veggies that I sautéed in coconut oil after steaming, coconut flakes, orange

Dinner: yak sausage, broccoli, roasted carrots and eggplant, avocado

I think I need to cut back on the fats. I know that's a little blasphemous to say on this forum, but I clearly had two servings of fat for every meal. I haven't been eating that much before today, so maybe I was just feeling a little indulgent today, but that's a lot of fat. :wacko:

Geez Louise this week has been stressful. I'm wondering if all that cortisol is why my tummy doesn't look any smaller. I'm not doing so great dealing with my stress, but at least I haven't been eating it.

Tomorrow, I'm starting back with the workouts. I know I said that last week, but I was t.i.r.e.d. from Wednesday to today. I'm hoping to wake up with tiger blood tomorrow morning, but even if I don't, I've got to do something. 

Eating dinner tonight was fun. I made the 5 ingredient pizza pie from paleOMG with local, grassfed yak sausage and a little bit of chicken, as well as mushrooms, artichoke hearts, and capers added in. (There were 8 servings, so this will be repeated many times this week). I was about to eat when I had this incredible craving for a salad. Never one to deny myself lettuce, I threw some together with jicama, tomato, olive oil and vinegar, and I was so excited about it. Then, I really wanted a lot of water. Then, and only then, did I dig into the decadence of that pizza pie.

I'm excited about the idea of having romaine cravings rather than sugar cravings.

I literally have one piece of fruit in my fridge (had one late last night while doing taxes… STRESS eating for sure… so maybe I did give into the stress cravings) and it's going to be the only piece of fruit I eat from now to Friday. That's amazing to me- and I think it's going to be hard. I really love fruit, I really love sweet things, and I'm going to miss that taste profile. But if that's what it takes to kill the bleeping sugar dragon, I'll do it.

Today:

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled with kale and spinach, 5 roasted carrots, 1 orange, little bit of unsweetened coconut

Lunch: 3 Applegate hot dogs, horseradish mustard, sweet potato, eggplant (weird lunch but I was in the middle of a big project and could only heat up leftovers)

Dinner: pizza pie casserole, salad with romaine, jicama, tomatoes, vinegar and olive oil

That's probably the best eating day I've had so far on the Whole30… and I feel great about it.  :D

Archived