MrsVs First Whole30

MrsV

Began my first Whole30 today. My entire family is along for the ride (they are thrilled...  :D )

I am doing this to try to become a wholly healthy person.

I have been on my weight loss journey for a few years. I have tried so many different things. But I have yet to come to a place where I have a good relationship with food.  I still turn to food for emotions - whether it's sadness, celebration or anger.  

I need to get my sugar demons under control (again!)

I'm hoping to lose the last of the weight I want to lose. 

It is also going to be a challenge for me to stop counting calories.

My husband has threatened to let my 3 year old son go to town on my scale with a hammer if he catches me sneaking on, so I will try to be good. First WeightWatchers, then a few years of tracking on MFP, I am so used to watching where all the calories are coming from, counting macros and being generally hyper-aware of what I put in my body.  I am so desperately trying to follow the Whole30 rules!! 

I want to see if Whole30/paleo can influence my fertility.  

I am 5 weeks into a 12 week body building program and I want to make sure I get the best results for the work I am putting into it!

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

So, day 1 is under my belt and I'm ready for to post for accountability! 

Breakfast: hot tea, eggs, super green mix (kale, chard and spinach) and 2 homemade breakfast sausages. 

Lunch: Leftover chicken breast, more super green mix, 1/4 avocado and half a tomato

Dinner: Pork tenderloin rubbed with the BBQ spice mix from Well Fed, roasted purple cabbage with ghee, asparagus wrapped in Whole30 approved bacon (yay!) and grilled pineapple. 

Late night: Hot tea. 

Height: 5'7"

Date            Weight     Arms     Hips     Bust     Waist    Thighs    Gut       Body Fat %    Pant Size

3/30/2014   164.5      11.5     39.25     34        32         22.50        36          28.20%        10

Will be back tomorrow. And the next day, and the next day - because if there's something I AM good at, it's being stubborn. And so many people have told me I can't do this, it's not possible and I'll never survive 30 days without (insert vice here) -- well, I obviously have to rock this journey. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations! Your meals look good to me, you might want to add more fat, don't include the cooking fat in your total. Stay off that scale, it will derail you from the program. Your weight will fluctuate during your whole30. I dd not lose any weight on my whole30 but I had a few small changes that I could celebrate. Make sure you document how you feel towards the end, for example maybe your acid re-flux is gone, maybe you are sleeping 8 hrs a night, maybe you don't crave sugar, maybe you have more energy. These are all great improvements. Good Luck!

Day 2. I'm going through this food detox and also detox from a medication. I've been super light headed today. I also found out that it's likely our 13 year old golden retriever has bladder cancer, so there's that too....    

I count it as a win that I didn't drown myself in chocolate, pasta or wine today.   Me: 1, Stress: 0

Food today: 

Breakfast: 2 egg muffins (bacon, tomato, spinach), 1/4 an avocado, cup of super green mix

Lunch: small chicken breast, 3 cups super green mix, 1/2 hard boiled egg, 1/2 tomato. Tessamae's balsamic dressing. Leftover roasted cabbage. 

Mid-afternoon: cup of coffee with full fat canned coconut milk

Dinner: Sunshine spiced pork tenderloin, sweet potato with ghee and cinnamon, a few cups of green beans, 2 strawberries

My workout today was 5 min warmup run, lifting routine (today was back day!), and it was supposed to be a 30 minute run. But I was feeling so lightheaded and weak that I only made it 14 minutes. REALLY disheartening for me (I've run 4 half marathons!) not to be able to complete a simple 30 minute run.  Please tell me this will get better!!

Hoping for a better day tomorrow. 

Day 3. 

Breakfast: 2 egg muffins, 1/2 avocado, coffee with full fat coconut milk from a can. 

PWO Snack: very underripe banana  (I know this isn't the best choice - but we ran to the store after the gym and this was the least of all evils I could grab and eat fast!!) 

Lunch: Chicken breast, super greens (probably 2 cups), Tessamae's zesty ranch and probably 1.5 cups of broccoli. 

Dinner: Salmon recipe from Well Fed (it was delish!), Nom Nom Paleo's roasted butternut squash, cucumber salad (evoo and acv) 

I had one pecan earlier (before dinner) and another cup of coffee/coconut milk this afternoon. 

Workout: Jaime Eason Livefit Training Day 37: Chest/Abs/Cardio

Total Time: 78 min

Total Calories Burned: 482 cals

Today's workout included a 5 min sprint as a warmup, lifting (chest/abs) and a 30 min run on the treadmill. Again felt lightheaded and had to stop a few times.  Hoping my energy returns soon!! 

Feeling great otherwise. Trying to remember to drink more water is hard for me but I am getting there! 

Not gonna lie I definitely wanted a glass of wine tonight!

Day 4:

Breakfast: 2 egg muffins, 1/2 avocado, coffee with full fat coconut milk from a can, 2 cups super greens

Lunch: Chicken breast, super greens (probably 3 cups), Tessamae's balsamic vinaigrette, 1/2 tomato, 1 hard boiled egg & 10 dried apricots. 

Dinner: Spaghetti squash with marinara (Well Fed - the meat sauce w/o meat), 6-1Tbsp Italian meatballs, sautéed mushrooms and onions (sautéed in ghee and garlic)

One cup of coffee in the afternoon, one cup of tea at bedtime.

Workout: Jaime Eason Livefit Training Day 38: Legs

Total Time: 42

Total Calories Burned: 245 cals

I was able to run my whole 5 min warmup at 7.0 on the treadmill!!  My leg workout was decent, but I was under a time crunch and cut a few of my very favorite moves. Boohoo! 

I have been feeling pretty good - still waiting for the other shoe to drop. I had a moment of ANGRY (over something stupid - I couldn't get a lid off a travel mug!!) and I've been a little easier to get irritated. Thankful that I'm not spending all day feeling hungry and longing for food!!! 

So, will keep it up tomorrow!!  

I read you were feeling a little light headed during one of your workouts.  The meal plan offers suggestions for a pre-wo and post-wo meals that might help eliminate that feeling.  I started my journey on 4/1 but haven't yet incorporated exercising.  I've thought about it though.. lol Best of luck to you and your family on your journey to becoming a wholly healthy person. :)  

I read you were feeling a little light headed during one of your workouts.  The meal plan offers suggestions for a pre-wo and post-wo meals that might help eliminate that feeling.  I started my journey on 4/1 but haven't yet incorporated exercising.  I've thought about it though.. lol Best of luck to you and your family on your journey to becoming a wholly healthy person. :)  

Thank you!  I usually leave for the gym immediately after eating breakfast, but I am trying to incorporate a little more carb into my breakfast to see if this helps!

I know it feels weird when you're used to counting everything (I came from that mindset, too) but try to follow the template--fist-size protein, fill the plate with veg, thumb or two of fat. It'll help you get past that counting cals mentality. Which is an awesome, free feeling you want to feel!

Sorry about your dog. :( Our dog is also 13 and apparently has doggie dementia. I didn't know that was even a thing. Poor girl.

Eating a little more carbs might help. Or more fat. I know a lot of people just don't feel great between meals if relying on chicken breasts. I am fine if I eat them for dinner, but for breakfast and lunch it seems to help to eat something fattier or add extra fat from avocado, etc. Fat is your friend, dried fruit is not. ;)

Day 5. 

Started with a 5am tornado siren. Yay... 

Day 5:

Breakfast: 4 eggs scrambled with 1 homemade sausage and 3/4 of a green pepper, 1/2 small sweet potato, 1 cup homemade apple/pear sauce, coffee with canned coconut milk. 

Lunch: 1/2 apple, almond butter, 5 small meatballs (leftover from last night's dinner), small handful of green olives, 2 cups of sugar snap peas, coffee with canned coconut milk

Dinner: Plantain nachos from Well Fed (plantains baked, with a taco seasoned meat), topped with tomatoes and 1/4 avocado, cumin spiced baked carrots (Well Fed) and cilantro lime cauli-rice. 

One cup of tea at bedtime.

Workout: Jaime Eason Livefit Training Day 39: Arms/Abs/Cardio

Total Time: 32

Total Calories Burned: haven't checked my Garmin, but I think it was around 150.

I skipped my cardio because I ran out of time before my son's swimming lessons. 

Strayed from all the greens today a bit. I started getting bored and bored on day 5 doesn't bode well for me making it all the way through! I still tried to keep the meal plan template. Dinner was probably a little starch/carb heavy but it was soooo delicious. 

Random Thoughts for today.... 

• our recycling bin was nearly empty this week (no boxes, bottles or cans) but we've taken our compost bin out to the compost pile nearly everyday, if not more than once a day. 
  •  
  • we got rid of our mandolin years ago, as it poses a serious health threat to me (I'm clumsy) but I bought one today. it made my life so much easier and I've only used it to help prep one meal so far.
  •  
  • will I ever be able to just - make dinner ?  Right now, my dinner prep starts around 3:30. For dinner between 5:30 and 6. No joke!  
  •  
  • All of us eating real meals = everyone using multiple dishes at every meal = dishwasher is running at least once a day. Sometimes twice, if dinner is involved and I use a lot of bowls/utensil (which I always do).
  •  
  • i feel good.  REALLY good. Better than I would have expected on day 5. No carb flu. Tired, but it's mostly because I'm having a hard time falling asleep at night. 

Day 6:

Breakfast: 4 eggs scrambled, 2 cups of greens, 1/2 avocado, coffee with canned coconut milk. 

PostWO: 3/4 small sweet potato, 2 slices spiced pork tenderloin

Lunch: 2 1/2 cups super greens (Actually called "power greens" at Costco), 1 HB egg, pork tenderloin, sugar snap peas, broccoli, Tessamae's balsamic 

Dinner: Homemade Italian sausage in a portobello mushroom cap with homemade marinara (from Well Fed), 1 cup green beans, 1 1/2 cups broccoli

Licked the spoon after giving my kiddos an almond butter snack!

Workout: Jaime Eason Livefit Training Day 40: Shoulders/Cardio

Total Time: 1:20

Total Calories Burned: 478

SOoooooo bloated on Friday. Seriously could have convinced people I was three months pregnant if I wanted to! That was a completely new thing. Even Thursday I felt like I was slimming out! Ugh. 

Day 7:

Breakfast: 1 medium cooked egg, sweet potato hash with bacon, pineapple, 1/2 avocado.

Lunch: Chicken breast, green olives, carrots, sugar snap peas, radishes, 1/2 apple, 2 Tbsp almond butter.

Dinner: 1/2lb burger, 1/2 tomato, 1/2 avocado, 1 cup green beans, 1 cup baked carrots, 1/2 cup butternut squash. 

One cup of decaf coffee at bedtime.

Workout: Rest day

Total Time:

Total Calories Burned:

I was sooooooooo crabby today. So extremely crabby!! Still feeling bloated today but not as bad. Trying to drink more water today.  

So one week down. Three to go. It's completely exhausting me to keep cooking this much food everyday. I picked up an egg poacher for the microwave today, hoping to cut down on the actual stovetop cooking that I'm doing in the morning before sending my kiddo to school and hubby to work.  Going to start trying to prep hot plates this week instead of the fairly elaborate dishes I've been trying to make. I guess I've been trying to keep my family engaged and interested int he process. 

My daughter is at a birthday sleepover tonight. I warned her that she's been eating such good food and if she eats too much junk food at the party, she may get sick.  She said "mommy, I will have one piece of pizza, but can you pack some veggies for me to eat after that?"    She GETS it. She is FIVE years old and she gets what this is doing for her. 

WIN. 

Day 8

Breakfast: 2 eggs cooked in the microwave (YUK, could NOT get these right!), leftover portobello mushroom cap with sausage & marinara

PWO: 2 HB egg whites

Lunch: Chicken breast, carrots, sugar snap peas, green peppers

Dinner: Steak, grilled asparagus, sauteed mushrooms, power greens with Tessamae's balsamic dressing.

One cup of coffee in the aftenroon (with coconut milk) and club soda/cranberry with dinner.

Workout: Jaime Eason LiveFit training, day 42: legs

Total Time: 55 min

Total Calories Burned: unknown - left my Garmin at home by accident

I have noticed that when it's lunchtime, I get HHHAANNNGRRRYYYY!!! Like, kids, don't talk to mama, she's about to chew your arm off!  All day long I am just fine, but RIGHT before meals, like while I'm prepping? SOooooo irritable! 

I prepped food today. Like, serious amounts of food: 

6 chicken breasts, 2 lbs ground beef, 1lb homemade breakfast sausage (to go in my egg muffins later). Hard boiled 18 eggs, steam sautéed broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, zucchini, celery. Baked sweet potatoes & spaghetti squash & roasted radishes. I have jicama in my crock pot to make jicama home fries with for dinner tomorrow night.

And praying this helps me stay out of the kitchen ALL DAY LONG this week!!

Day 9

Breakfast: Egg muffins (sausage, tomato, spinach), 1 c power greens, banana, coffee w/coconut milk

PWO: 3/4 small sweet potato, 1 HB egg white

Lunch: Steak, carrots, power greens, olives, carrots, tomatoes,  Tessamae's balsamic dressing, coffee w/coconut milk

Dinner: Jicama home fries, chicken, purple cabbage, apples, broccoli w/ Tessamae's Zesty Ranch dressing

Two cup of coffee in the afternoon (with coconut milk) 

Workout: Jaime Eason LiveFit training, day 43: Arms/Abs

Total Time: 95 min

Total Calories Burned: 599 calories

Felt slim and not bloated at ALL today (yesterday, I forgot to log it then). 

Have noticed that my daughter's allergy cough is RIDICULOUS today. Wondering if it has to do with the dairy/gluten she ate at the birthday party saturday. I know I may just be reaching for something to blame it on (instead of, oh, say, SPRING like it has been the last 5 years...) but I noticed a distinct difference between last week and this week. 

Could NOT fall asleep last night (so evening of day 9) Not sure if it was the coffee or the clarity of my thoughts now, but it just WOULD NOT HAPPEN.  I was awake well after 2am. It was not fun.   Dragging a bit today but will definitely cut the cup of coffee in the afternoon from now on. 

All in all, feeling great.

Day 10

Breakfast: Egg muffins (sausage, tomato, spinach), 1 c power greens, 1/2 small sweet potato, coffee w/coconut milk

PWO: none

Lunch: Chicken breast, carrots, power greens, olives, 2/3 apple with almond butter. 

Dinner: Hot plate - ground beef, cauliflower, mushrooms, and light coconut milk with curry powder. Served over spaghetti squash with a side of zucchini. 

Two cup of coffee in the afternoon (with coconut milk) 

Workout: Jaime Eason LiveFit training, day 44: Legs

Total Time: 55 min

Total Calories Burned: 385 calories

Bloated again today... uuugghhhh. But it was leg day which is my favorite.  Felt emotional today - that's the first time in awhile that I've felt that. Also didn't sleep well last night, between my daughter coughing and just heart racing. I guess I drank too much coffee yesterday afternoon - time to switch to decaf tea!! 

so, we're 1/3 of the way done. It's going way better than I expected. 

Day 11:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with spinach, green peppers and mushrooms. 1/4 avocado, banana and coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch: Chicken breast, olives, super greens, carrots and Tessamae's vinaigrette. 

Dinner: Balsamic chicken thighs - (OMG DELICIOUS), zoodles with mushrooms and roasted broccoli

Workout: Jaime Eason Livefit Training Day 45: Chest/Abs/Cardio

Total Time: 1 hr 12 min

Total Calories Burned: 393 calories

DESPERATE for chocolate today. Went to workout instead. I think I made the right choice.  

Food prep definitely made all the difference for me this week!! 

Day 12:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, super greens, banana and coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch: Tuna lettuce wraps (tuna on lettuce with 1/2 avocado), 1/3 of a green pepper, egg white. 

Dinner: Chicken stir fry (the stir fry sauce from Well Fed minus rice vinegar - I have 2 bottles and both had sugar) with green beans, snow peas, onion, mushroom, broccoli & celery. Side of pineapple. 

One cup of coffee with coconut milk midday and one cup of tea at bedtime.

Workout: Jaime Eason Livefit Training Day 46: Shoulders

Total Time: 45 min

Total Calories Burned: unknown - left my Garmin at home again :( 

SO had to get out of my head today. Lots of outside time today helped. Can see my muscles becoming more defined. 

Day 13:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, super greens, 1/2 avocado, banana and coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch: HB egg, sweet potato, sugar snap peas, a few slices of green pepper

Dinner: Our first attempt eating at a restaurant! BOY was it a challenge! We wound up both getting grassfed ribeye steaks and we split veggie sides - sautéed spinach and green beans. We could have SWORN the spinach had butter, it was soooooo rich, but the server promised he had written dairy allergy on our tag. I wondered later if maybe there was some MSG or just a lot of salt because I had a slight headache. I did get a glass of club soda with lime. We will DEFINITELY be going back once we're done with this - bacon maple ice cream!? Yes please.

One cup of coffee with coconut milk midday and one cup of decaf after dinner with no coconut milk.

Workout: Jaime Eason Livefit Training Day 47: Legs

Total Time: 56 min

Total Calories Burned: 255 cals

We went to the Billy Joel concert Friday night. WOW to see him was amazing! And to think that "before," we would have eaten and drank at dinner, probably gotten a treat to eat during the concert and another drink. I will say, however, that being buzzed WITH everyone else is a lot less irritating that being sober around a bunch of complete drunks!! 

Day 14:

Breakfast: Sweet potato & bacon hash, 3 eggs, 1 banana, coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch: Large salad with taco meat, plantain chips, tomatoes and a few olives. 

Dinner: Burger with lettuce, tomato & onion. Sweet potato fries. Green beans.

Workout: Rest Day

Total Time:

Total Calories Burned:

Having a really rough few days. Getting discouraged. I haven't cheated (at least knowingly, but we've only eaten away from home once) and I'm STILL in the "what, my pants are TIGHTER?" phase. I feel so bloated and I am not thinning out as much as I expected.  I keep trying to reevaluate what I'm eating - too much protein, too much fat, not enough greens?  Too much fruit, although I have tried hard to keep it to 1-2 servings a day, usually lunch or earlier. 

We went out last night and I just kept thinking how EASY it would be to just order that glass of wine... have those potatoes on the side of my steak...  Nothing too awful but I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything at this point - shouldn't I be feeling SOMETHING around day 14???   

My kids are CONSTANTLY hungry. I have told them they may eat unrestricted veggies - they want fruit.  They did, however, eat about 3 JUMBO carrots the other day as a snack. I know they are truly hungry if they will eat sugar snap peas, carrots, cucumbers or broccoli. If they ask for fruit (or my little guy, who still asks for crackers daily <3) I tell them to drink a big glass of water. It's working, but I'm always fearful I'm just not feeding them ENOUGH food... 

Anyhow. Long story short, feeling discouraged. Two more weeks will be rough if this continues.

Archived