One-Year Anniversary and Whole45

One year ago I started my first Whole30 and it really did change my life. No more daily migraines -- I only have one or two per month now that are easily treated. I've lost 40 lbs over the course of the year and have maintained my weight (with occasional fluctuations depending on if I was eating well or not).

One year ago starting that Whole30 was a last-ditch effort before getting botox for my migraines. But I was also pretty depressed about my lack of weightloss and my struggle to find something that felt right for me both in terms of losing weight and treating my migraines. Interestingly, by August 2nd, I felt like something had clicked, even though I didn't know just how successful this way of eating would be!

On July 19th, I started a Whole45 in honor of my one-year anniversary and my upcoming b-day -- and also because, even though I know the Whole30 works for me, I still sometimes get derailed and eat crap and feel like crap. I'm thirteen -- almost fourteen -- days in, and I feel fantastic! I'm looking forward to the added encouragement of all the folks starting their Whole30s today!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on Day 31 of my Whole45 and going strong. I had some major struggles last week -- so stressed out and exhausted and we had tons of treats around for my visiting nephews. I really did feel like I was battling with myself to not give in to temptation. But I made it through!

Also, this time around I have been working with an incredibly tight budget. No luxurious nuts from Whole Foods or a lovely and large selection of organic and grass-fed meats. I'm doing my best with what I can afford. It has not been easy, but I see now that if I can pull this off under these conditions, it is workable for the future no matter what. Now if I would just stop dreaming about accidently eating a muffin or accidently taking a swig of red wine! (I know these are normal, but I find them so interesting!)

Well, I wouldn't necessary recommend what I've been eating as "family" worthy! I don't have any kiddos and my husband, while supportive, would not eat what I'm eating, even if I paid him! So it's just me. But in the past, when we didn't have much money, I would use this as an excuse to get fast food. Not McDonald's, necessarily, but there are a lot of cheap Mexican restaurants nearby or a pizza and fries can make up several meals for just us two. For this Whole45, however, I've been determined to stick with it no matter what.

Sometimes when I get home, I'm so exhausted from a long day, and I just have a bowl of non-organic frozen veggies with olive oil and a couple of chopped boiled eggs and sausages. It's not glamorous, but it's nutrition. Or I brown a pound of organic, but not grass-fed ground beef and mix in a ton of frozen veggies, tomatoes, and some avocado and have that for a few meals. And I've found that sardines are cheap and can be mixed with hard-boiled eggs and avocado and thrown on some lettuce with tomatoes for a pretty tasty meal.

My husband and I have really been scraping by this past month, but I always make sure that I have some protein and veggies on hand for my meals -- and some (non-organic) pumpkin and coconut milk for a post-workout or regular snack. Things are looking up for us this coming month, so I'll be able to bring back more organic, grass-fed, and pastured options; but this has been a great learning experience for me!

Archived