Reintroduction- want to throw in the towel!!!!

Hi all-

Please encourage me. I'm on day 20 of reintroductions. Throughout this both my kids got the flu, think I got it, them kids got a cold and I got it. So anyhow, 20 days of reintroducing and I only learned one thing I'm sure of. Legumes bother me-

1. Reintroduced gluten free foods- next day I was really tired but got daughters flu/cold and had it for 4 days.

2. 5 days later when better tried gluten free foods again- but had a sniffly nose that latest for4-5 days

3. Felt all better- tried legumes . Ate peanut butter, canned chickpeas and canned black beans. Had horrible diarreah 20'minutes after chickpeas and same thing at noon next day.

4. Introduced dairy- felt great first day and them end of second day and Sunday and today super stuffy /runny nose, scratchy throat , tired more moody. But my other daughter got an ear infection last night and had a cold all last week.

This is ridiculous I timed this so I could have answers by April 1 and so I could enjoy a glass of wine and warm weather activities and it's April 1 and i know nothing. I'm really frustrated by it all.

I should note I get allergy shots too for spring allergies and I never sneeze in spring because these help a to but experts are saying spring allergies are bad this year.

Please help. I thought all these symptoms were gluten free and then dairy, but do to the colds I'm. 90 percent sure they are not now. I've only learned about beans now.

Let me know if you have similar experiences. I'm taking super detailed notes and this is not going the way I tjoufht I would. I really want answers and encouragement. :)

Laura

Congratulations for sticking with the reintro process! I am not sure how encouraging I can be. We are all so different. Is this your first whole30? Do you eat mostly paleo when you are not on a whole30? It can take a long time for your gut to heal so you may need more time eating paleo. I was eating paleo-ish for about 2 years before my first whole30. I didn't seem to have any reactions during my re-introductions. I think you should listen to your gut. I think you know if your reactions are allergy related or food related. Trust yourself. I think sometimes we want definite proof of something and when we listen to our gut we don't have definite proof, we just have an instinct. I would make notes of your reactions every time you eat gluten or gluten free grains and see if you have the same reactions at different times of the year. Then you will know if it is the food or the time of year. You might want to check out The Paleo Mom. She has an article about cross reaction with gluten free grains, maybe that is what is happening for you. 

Yeah this is my first whole 30. I'm not sure how when I ate dairy Friday that suddenly it's Monday and it's getting worse. I have stuck completely to whole 30 other than a tsp of honey. I've lost 10 pounds and when I eat whole 30 I feel amazing! But these reintroductions have been timed with my kids sick and me sick and most of the colds flus have all lasts longer than 72 hours , so my instinct says cold and test again. I just want a quick answer and I'm not getting it. Either way I'm learning right?

I had a similar experience to you.  It's so hard to tell how things affect you when life is also going on.  I thought W30 was making my allergies worse until my sister reminded me that the new puppy in the house was probably the cause.  Duh!  I had similar things with allergies, colds, etc, along the way.  It's hard because we don't live in a vacuum.  What I have done is eat mostly W30ish most of the time and try to notice how I react when I have certain things.  I didn't notice any immediate effects from any reintros.  There were some small things, but they could all be explained by other things or could be the result of thinking too hard.  I do know that if I spend several days eating sugar, dairy, wheat, corn and alcohol, I will get a cold sore outbreak.  But, I don't know if it's one of those things or all of them together (or a complete coincidence that the only cold sore outbreaks I've had in the last year were after a week at the cabin with lots of junk food, after a major sugar fest the week between Christmas and New Years and after a weekend pretending to be a college student again in Vegas...).  Anyway, it is frustrating, but I think it's normal.  Just keep eating as clean as you can so that when you do try things, you can notice your reactions.  Over time, you may be able to come to some more conclusions.  Good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived