Hello ladies :-)

I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy next week, to treat chronic, debilitating period and ovulation pain. I'm curious to know if anyone has avoided a hysterectomy by following a Whole30/paleo diet? I'm 37, have well and truly finished having kids after my 3, and have a window of time whilst I'm not working, which makes this an ideal time for surgery. However, there's a nagging question in the back of my mind regarding the potential to treat these issues with a While30 diet change.

I don't plan on changing my mind about surgery, but I'd still appreciate hearing about other ladies' experiences.

I had been doing primal (not as strict as whole30, but close) for 5 years when I finally had a hysterectomy. That was 7 years ago, and I haven't regretted it for a moment. Whole30 can help with lots of things, but it is hard to imagine it making my hysterectomy unnecessary. Good luck! I found the forum hyster-sisters really helpful.

• 2 years later...

Hello ladies :-)

I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy next week, to treat chronic, debilitating period and ovulation pain. I'm curious to know if anyone has avoided a hysterectomy by following a Whole30/paleo diet? I'm 37, have well and truly finished having kids after my 3, and have a window of time whilst I'm not working, which makes this an ideal time for surgery. However, there's a nagging question in the back of my mind regarding the potential to treat these issues with a While30 diet change.

I don't plan on changing my mind about surgery, but I'd still appreciate hearing about other ladies' experiences.

okay, let me understand this. 

you are having a hysterectomy because, 1, your 37, 2, you know you are not having any more children, 3, you have pain from periods and ovulation. 

are they sure it's not endometriosis? 

to me i don't mean harm but a hysterectomy is kinda drastic at your  young age because of pain.    

sometimes I've read they do hysterectomies too soon in woman. 

I had a a presacral neurectomy,  God knows I think it was the wrong thing to do

I had endometriosis and that's what they did to me..  I now, have a lot less sensitivity in my abdominal area.  

I don't think a hyst is the answer. but I sure would do the whole 30 and see how that makes a change in your life. 

but again, it's too late to think otherwise ...   you for sure will feel better after the hysterectomy but will also be thrown into menopause which comes with it's own issues..     Ya, it's goodbye periods that menopause, is hello to another hell all it's own. 

• Moderators

Ya, it's goodbye periods that menopause, is hello to another hell all it's own. 

Everybody is different, even menopause is different for every woman. I had to have a hysterectomy at 31 due to cancer, and it has certainly caused some issues, but it hasn't been nearly as horrible as I was afraid it would be (plus, in my case, I'd sure rather be a menopausal 40 year old than, you know, dead, which I probably would be had I not had it ;)). I suppose I just throw that out there because I hear a lot of women "warning" those who haven't entered menopause yet about how horrible it's going to be, and it might be -- it is worse for some people than others -- but it might not be. No individual woman knows what her experience will be like until she goes through it herself. So why emphasize how bad it could be and have women worried about it before they even get to that stage of their life? It'll happen, and the experience will for sure be a change, but change doesn't always have to be bad. I'm not saying don't be honest about your experience when people ask -- honesty is always good, and it's good to know all the possible different experiences a person might have, so if your personal experience was truly horrific, fine, say that, and go into detail if you want -- but that's not what the OP even asked about, so why immediately go to how horrible it is and that you think she's making a mistake?

I'd also point out you've resurrected a thread that's two years old, so it's a little late for any advice to have any effect whatsoever.  

you are so so right. I didn't realize it was an old topic. I just looked down at that also tagged thing at the bottom..  I will be more careful to look at dates to any topic posted. 

I also will not express what what I've gone through as you said each person is different.. that's why she asked the question back then..  

Lips are zippered..    

• 6 months later...

Resurrecting again ... starting my first Whole30 in January (did 2 weeks just before thanksgiving and felt great but couldn't bring food to the family events - if you knew my in-laws you would understand). 

A little background. BC DX in Sept of 2008, bilateral mastectomy, tamoxifen and 12 months of chemo, complete hysterectomy in Dec of 2013. Since then I have gained 20-25lbs. I am a regular exerciser, a group fitness instructor and personal trainer (completed 2 iron man triathlons before my hysterectomy) and cannot lose the weight. Cannot do HRT due to my type of BC. I am hoping that this will reset my body, help with the joint pain and bloating and weight loss as well. Not looking for a short term fix but a life long lifestyle that can get me back to pre-hysterectomy. 

Anyone else in my shoes have success?  

Hi Irongirlmick,

I had a bilateral oophorectomy and hysterectomy in January this past year. I was on HRT for 6 months but that is all I am allowed due to a strong family history of BC.  So, I am 46 and in full menopause.  I am not too far from possibly when I would have started anyway (from what they tell me) but I still feel a little unsure of what I should  be watching for because I was thrown into menopause early.  I have gained 25 pounds over several years of poor habits.  I am starting January 1st, so I can't tell you it is a success yet, but I sure hope so! Congrats on being a survivor! :)

Archived