March 1st-ers post W30

EmayPA

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a miserable, wet, cold Sunday it is here in UK. We have one day dry, one day warm and then two wet at the moment. Need some sunshine!! 

I reintro'd lentils yesterday with no problem - I know the rule is 72 hours but my stomach usually lets me know pretty quickly if it's not happy. So I am counting that as another success. To celebrate I had a sneaky slice of cheddar cheese with my beef, avo and tomato lunch, And I can honestly say it didn't hit the spot as it used to. It tasted sort of greasy in a not very pleasant way. I shall have to try soft and cream cheese and see how I get on with them. Interesting this experimenting lark innit? ;)

Here's hoping the weather with you guys is better than it is with me

Onwards! 

Hey, Carrick! I'm glad my name could be of use  :)

We're starting to see 60 degrees more regularly here in Iowa! It's pretty exciting considering the string of -20 degree days we had this winter. It's making for nice walking and bike riding and picture taking adventures. Hopefully soon there will be fresh, in-season veggies! 

Good news today- my size 14 jeans fit good!! Yay! They haven't fit in like a year and a half. :D Now I'm just aiming for my size 12s, which  fit 2 years ago for all of 4 months or so. But, never fret, I'm happy where I am too, and not pressuring myself. I'm just eating healthy food  and walking and riding my bike. 

Last night I had a little bit of tequila with club soda and lime at a girl's night. I only had one drink since I had to drive home, and because I've rather liked not drinking. Club soda and lime is pretty tasty, and so is having all my faculties! 

That's great, Megalinity!   I'm celebrating the same thing - finally getting into my jeans.  Not my thin jeans, but something besides elastic.  HOOORRRRAAAAYYYY!   I'm not going to try on other stuff until the end of this month, because I know I have a way to go and I don't need the discouragement.  But people are starting to notice and ask what I'm doing.  And you know, I haven't changed all that much in size - some, but not superdramatically - but I think what is registering with them is the energy, clear skin and eyes, good mood.   My mood is a million times better.

For Valentine's Day I got a fitbit, and it's really helping.  I am hitting 5000 steps most day (except when I was sick), and today made a concerted effort to hit 10,000 and did it!  And I do feel better.  It's easy now because we are having such a cold spring, for this part of the country.  When temps normalize I will have to get up EARLY to get that done outside.  I have a treadmill (hmm...where is that thing.... oh yeah, right there in plain sight.. . . )  but love being outside when I can.

Cooking is getting much easier!   Cleaning up the kitchen two or three times a day - still a challenge.   But YUM does that organic produce and grass-fed meat taste good.  

What day are we on?  Is anybody counting?

I make it Day 38 today and I am going out to lunch with friends. I am planning on making a sensible choice but not being strict. So I am using this as my 'restaurant reintro'. I am happy drinking water or black coffee but I may have a ginger beer or Sicilian Lemonade today (I am teetotal). 

For a few months I have been wearing a pedometer each day and make a note of my daily steps in my diary. If I have a lazy at-home day it barely goes over 1000 but when I am out and about it tops 5000 and I like to get it over 10000 on occasions. Got a lot of weight to shift so it's hard work at the moment but I am getting there with the fitness :)  That makes me happier than weight loss. 

Onwards!!

• Moderators

Hi friends! Happy to catch up with you again. I'm on Day 38, still compliant, and joy of all joys, I introduced my dad to W30 over the weekend while he was here visiting (to see the show). He has utterly drunk the Kool-Aid, as we say, and is on Day 3 of his first W30. I sent him home with ISWF and all my best tips. Eager to see how he gets on with it!

I reintroduced black pepper (I'm coming from AIP where its not allowed) and it seems to have gone fine (now 48 hours post test).  

I'm finding that now that I am reintroducing I'm missing unallowed foods so much more than before I reintroduced.  I suspect because the chinks in the armor are showing and the possiblities seem very attractive... I've had dreams of coffee, which I hadn't planned to reintro until mid-May, but I might move it up.  I did find that one of the foods I'd planned to reintroduce in April isn't allowed on Wahls Paleo Plus (green beans! a legume technically, those tiny little immature beans....) so I could potentially sub coffee in it's place. 

I too have a fitbit and find that at-home days are a paltry amount of steps, if I run a couple of errands I'm easily over 5000 but getting to 10000 requires a specific goal to take a long walk somewhere.  

Well today is an unexpected day. I woke up feeling as though today was the day to start my fasting routine. 5:2 fasting is a hot trend in UK at the moment - eat normally for 5 days and fast for 2 non consecutive days in every seven. I had been planning to start this from easter Monday and yesterday wasn't ideal preparation. But I am in the zone today and got no exercise planned so today it is. I will not eat anything until 8pm but I can drink as much as I like of my usual black decaff coffee, rooibos tea and mineral water.

So that's where I am at today after a successful restaurant reintro yesterday. I had a fab meal, a glass of lemonade and two hours of excellent company and chat with six friends around a round table. Happy days :)

Happy Tuesday, all!

I was away for the weekend, and am settling back in just now.  Rainy-icky the last few here, but I think I'm going to take a nice long walk at lunchtime anyway. 

Wound up not introducing anything new as I was away - making Italian Easter cookies (wheaty-and-SO-not-for-me) with my honey's mom.  Nope.  Didn't eat any.  It was so cute - his mom was sad that I couldn't have a cookie, and said I should bring "ok" flour next time and she'd make me some.  Sweet.  (I won't.)  Well, I could eat the hard boiled egg in my cookie "basket."  (I will.)

I'm thinking I'll do the potato re-intro tomorrow.   Probably cook some up tonight and leave them...  dice some up for breakfast with eggs... a little mash at lunch... ??  Whatever.

I'm actually getting indifferent to bringing in new things.

Has anyone who's done this before ultimately decided on ad hoc intros?  Or is that just too dangerous?  Like, I really don't want potatoes NOW, but might at some point down the road, infrequently, if so.  Can I just leave them until that future day?

Have a great day, everyone!

I would leave the potatoes until you want them. But try to be aware that you are eating them and look out for any reaction. One of the mods does this and says he has never done a conscious reintroduction programme. I am going that way now that I have tried the few things I wanted to check. Anything else (like cake!!) will be as and when. 

My fast day has gone well. I have plated up a chicken salad with lemon juice as a dressing and will have a bowl of natural yogurt with chopped apple and chopped hazelnuts for dessert. That's my 500 calories in one meal. I have drunk a bit more than normal today but not too much but I have been to the loo every hour at least. Something is obviously flushing itself out of my system. 

Happy days :)

Onwards

I had a couple hiccups on my whole30 (nothing intentional) and now I have only reintro'd dairy and wine, obviously the two things I can't bear to give up LOL My reintro has not been textbook though - did one day with only butter (since that's what I really want to be able to eat) and was fine. Took a couple days back on plan, but then ate cheese, yogurt, sour cream and more butter for a couple more days. Haven't noticed any odd reactions from either dairy or wine.

While I felt good, I never got the "Tiger Blood" effect but I know my whole30 was a little compromised based on the meals I eat at work on weekends. I was able to choose on plan items, but I know at least once non-plan ingredients snuck into my meat and sometimes I wondered how clarified the clarified butter was. The restaurant closes on Easter Sunday so I plan on starting a new whole30 after that day. May even consider AIP, but I'm not sure I need to or want to. I am going to cut nuts from my diet - I know they're not the best food and I find I have trouble putting the breaks on.

I only lost about three pounds, and of course silly me didn't take any measurements, but I don't think I lost that much size wise since I am still wearing the same clothes and can't fit into the pants I accidentally bought in a size smaller. I know I could be much better at eating on template. I tend to eat more fat and fewer carbs than suggested.

Hi Dipitie. 

I am not sure where everyone else on this thread has got to. I hope you guys are all ok. Life in England is going well and I am looking forward to another fast day tomorrow. Eating mainly Whole30 with a little cheese, the occasional milky coffee (at home, not ventures into a coffee shop yet) and some 85% chocolate. Feeling good and tummy seems flatter already so I reckon it's a good combo. 

Onwards chicks!

• Moderators

I'm still lurking but continuing with my W30. On day 41 now and feeling fine!

Sharyn, I'm curious why you're playing with fasting and counting calories. Seems like a fairly drastic change from W30. How's it working for you?

Morning, all!

It's a lovely Spring day here - yay!  finally!

Well... no potato reintro yet - I decided to try some different dairy (cream cheese, ricotta, and more cream in my coffee).  I'm sad to have to admit that dairy is probably going to have to go on my infrequent/limited/small amounts/whatever list.

On dairy day eventually my nose started running and a pesky post-nasal drip is back.  Ick.  It's not out for good and forever (at least not yet) like gluten, but it might be headed there.  Feh.

I'll re-into goat-dairy in a few days, just to see, but...

I'll be doing another W30 in June, I hope (too much going on Apr/May/Jul) and we'll see how things go.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Sharyn, I'm curious why you're playing with fasting and counting calories. Seems like a fairly drastic change from W30. How's it working for you?

I am only counting calories on fast days as the 5:2 Fast Diet allows women 500 calories on fast days. Apart from that I am eating pretty much Whole30 but avoiding carbs as fruit the day before a fast to make it easier on the blood sugar. Feeling good so far. 

I think I'm just lucky with time zones! :)

I do think it's really amazing that after giving up all those off plan foods for 30 days, how little I ended up missing! I'll have to look into that 5:2 fast - not that I'm interested in trying it, but for curiosity's sake! Glad it seems to be working for you.

Good luck with Dairy EmayPA! The post nasal drip/hay fever symptoms suck. I have that with gluten :(

I finished my March 1-30 Whole30 with flying colors and big dreams. Had made it through very well and even enjoyed most every aspect of it. Decided to do another starting April 1. That gave me a free day on 3/31.......ooops. That has led to 10 days of false starts!!!! So I am trying to get back on track before I undo everything I worked so very hard for!

I finished my March 1-30 Whole30 with flying colors and big dreams. Had made it through very well and even enjoyed most every aspect of it. Decided to do another starting April 1. That gave me a free day on 3/31.......ooops. That has led to 10 days of false starts!!!! So I am trying to get back on track before I undo everything I worked so very hard for!

This seems to be a recurring theme as I've been reading the boards.  I wonder if they should add a sub forum for Second-time-arounders?   Seem to be a lot of folks with multiple "2nd attempts."

Will have to remind myself not to get cocky come June.  :)

I'll be doing another W30 in June, I hope (too much going on Apr/May/Jul) and we'll see how things go.

Me too - I get back from Italy on 6th June and hope to start a Whole30 then. 

yay - great minds...

Hi all! 

I got busy with super nice weather and long bike rides. We've been in the mid-60s for the last few days, with 70s coming up in a few days!!  (And then it's going to get cold again. Hmph.) So, I've been going on 15 - 20 mile bike rides every day. Nothing like burning 900+ calories in an hour and a half! I've also lost another 2 lbs and half an inch from my waist since the 31st. I'm feeling just so so good. The doctor even noted how much better my depression seems to be!

I'm still re-introducing things. I did legumes a couple days ago, and today I did non-gluten containing grains. Legumes went great. I hadn't realized how much I was missing natural peanut butter until I ate some. OMG. I still love that stuff. So far the corn and non-gluteny grains has been going great! I'll see how I feel over the next few days, but I really hope I can continue eating them. I LOVE corn! I live in Iowa, which has the BEST sweet corn anywhere, and I would be very sad if I reacted poorly to it.

So far I don't want to reincorporate other non-compliant foods. It probably helps that I can't eat dairy or gluten without negative side effects. I will start being more lax about some sugary things. I miss ice cream, so I'll be having coconut ice "creams". Hopefully I can find some without added sugar, but if I can't - oh well, it's a special treat, not an everyday thing. I'll still avoid sugar in things like sauces and spices and drinks. There's just no reason for sugar in those things. Fruits are already sweet enough! 

Some day I'll have to stop being lazy and start sentences other than "I" all the time. C'est la vie!

Reintroducing black pepper seems to have gone fine, as the high-quality butter did.

Today I'm doing sesame seed - a strange choice given how much AIP strips out, but with one reintro I can get sesame oil and tahini and sesame seeds that I use in an awesome cabbage salad back in.

Pretty sure mustard is next, and probably coffee after that.

Trying to wait until May for red peppers and green beans and egg yolk.

I thought I was so clever testing tahini as a sesame reintro. Had a tiny taste in the morning, about half a teaspoon in the afternoon. Fine. At dinner I made a veggie dip of tahini and lemon juice and a little olive oil... And had pretty significant GI distress all night.

I am bummed! I have several favorite dishes that either have sesame seeds or toasted sesame oil in them that I was hoping to put back in rotation.

Now will hope the GI discomfort stops quickly and that I can go on with reintros in 4 days. I think I'll plan to re-test the sesame seeds and oil separately down the road...

Not happy, I thought I'd sail through the first month of AIP reintroductions!

• Moderators

Sorry to hear that, Sarah. It's good information to have. Maybe next time you test try out sesame without tahini, or a different tahini. I can do all kinds of sesame but in my experience tahini has to be very fresh, organic, and of the highest quality for it to not bump up on me. Is is possible your batch was a bit rancid?

That sounds like a nasty reaction Sarah, Try again with the individual products and I hope you resolve the issue - maybe just once a day will be ok for you.

I am pretty much done with this Whole30 now and have moved on so I won't be around so much. I wish you all well with whatever you do in the future and I shall be back for another Whole30 when I get back from Italy around 7th June. 

Be good :)

Archived