March 1st-ers post W30

EmayPA

I'm so sorry to hear all that Sarah! I totally get how much it sucks to get rid of your favorite things (cake has gluten in it... grrrr). 

I'm pretty much done with my reintros too, so I'll also be around less. I haven't had any troubles with any legumes or non-gluteny grains, so that's excellent. All I've got to do is test the various kinds of dairy I mentioned before. 

I'll drop back in every so often (maybe a few times a week) to see how everyone is doing. 

Good luck all!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GI system back to normal, and although I'm annoyed to have reacted so strongly to sesame, I admit it's kinda cool to see the whole concept of reintroduction testing in real time. Sesame, who'd a thunk it?

I will try sesame oil in a few weeks, and probably seeds at some point. If I never have tahini again in my life it's no big deal.

It was high quality and organic, how fresh? Well, I bought it the day before I tested it, but I have no idea if it had been sitting in warehouses for a long time. I've never noticed problems with nut butters that sometimes get lost in the back of a cupboard for months, so I'd be surprised if it's just a batch/brand issue. In any event with a reintro list that still has over 20 foods to test on it (some like coffee I'm really missing) tahini will not get a re-challenge for a long, long time, if ever....

That sounds like a nasty reaction Sarah, Try again with the individual products and I hope you resolve the issue - maybe just once a day will be ok for you.

I am pretty much done with this Whole30 now and have moved on so I won't be around so much. I wish you all well with whatever you do in the future and I shall be back for another Whole30 when I get back from Italy around 7th June. 

Be good :)

Have a wonderful trip!  See you in June!

It may well be time for this thread to fall off the "hot" list - but I'll post every so often.  It helps keep me honest. 

Discovered some foods without brakes the last few days:  paleo granola.  paleo bread.  What a surprise!  (Not so much.)

Ok, so M&D are right again!  (NOT a surprise.)  There's truly something important in avoiding SWYPO.   I could eat the SAD versions all day, back in the day.  Same here.

A little bag of really yummy, really expensive granola lasts 2 days in my house.  (Supposed to be 5 servings.  Right.)

I bought my first loaf of non-mass-produced, almond-based, grain-free paleo bread yesterday at the Philly Farm and Food Fest (terrific event) and it's gone now.  Snack and dinner yesterday, today's breakfast, and poof.  It's gone.  The loaf was only about 4 inches long, but still.  Not even 24 hours.  (I admit it WAS pretty tasty slathered with Kerrygold butter.  :ph34r: )

The in-between-y road isn't going to work for me, so back to the template except for special occasions.  On Easter I will be as compliant as possible while out with family, but will not be 100%. 

Love you guys! 

eta:  I'm so interested in you all doing the AIP and admire your tenacity.  Look forward to reading about your continued re-intros...

Reintro of coffee seemed to go well.  I have my fingers crossed that will continue when I put it into regular rotation - I have missed BPC sorely.  I won't go back to BPC until my cheesemonger is back from holiday (another week) because I only have the high quality butter in salted version right now at home.  

Next reintro will be mustard.  I'm not all that excited about it (or the following one, cumin) because almost 2 months of restricted eating has just made me learn new kitchen tricks, so mustard isn't missed all that much.  But it will be helpful to be able to have just a normal vinaigrette in a restaurant again... 

I also moved my reintro calendar to be 1 day test and 3 days off, so every 4 days.  I had started at 5 days off, because I read that somewhere, but now that I'm itching to try more reintros the schedule was just too slow! 

Fab news about the coffee!  Congratulations - I hope it "sticks."  :)

Note to self:  when you're sensitive to gluten and (had been) avoiding it like the plague, Chinese food is NOT your friend.  Doofus.

I'm at my parents' house for Easter, and they keep all the goodies in their pantry that I have banished. I was good at dinner, staying compliant (I'm eating something like 85/15 compliant; it's just easier). But, I had 3 dark chocolate Dove eggs after dinner (YUM!) and now I have a bit of a tummy ache. And funny enough, three eggs is HALF the recommended serving size! And I used to eat so much more than that. 

In the last week, I've had to buy a bunch of new clothes. I'm now wearing a size medium shirt, and I haven't been this small since my junior year of college (2007). It's amazing. Now I just have to be as disciplined as possible this weekend! 

I was trying to explain to my parents how I just no longer WANT the sugary, unhealthy foods. Dad doesn't seem to get it, but he's not criticizing or anything. Mom seems interested in trying the Whole30. She was asking me if it was hard. I hope she gives it a go!

I hope you're all having a lovely holiday weekend! Happy Easter!

Happy Easter buddies :)

It reads as though we are doing ok with reintros, learning lessons etc. Long may we stay in control and listen to our bodies. 

I am doing OK with my fasting and have had four fast days so far. Yesterday's extended to 10.30 this morning as I slept in and then had a lazy shower/hair wash/ pamper session when I got up. I am quite enjoying only having to worry about one meal a day and that is one that is already planned and prepped. I read a blog about intermittent fasting and the writer had worked out how many calories he saved over a year (impressive!!) and also how much money he and his wife saved by not eating much on two days each week. I tried to tempt hubby with a holiday in Hawaii with the money we saved if he joined me and his response is not shareable  :o

This week I visited a coffee shop and had a Vanilla Bean latte and a lovely slice of Victoria Sandwich cake. That is my weakness and I have to be strong now and resist temptation for a few weeks before indulging again.

Onwards 

• Moderators

Happy Easter, friends! I love catching up with each other intermittently.

All is well here. The play I've been in had its last performance last night, and it was a very good run. Now I've got to dream it all up again since I've been spending every free moment on it.

I decided to simply stay with W30 as a kind of support for stressful times, so I'm on Day 51. Feeling very good about staying compliant and being social without alcohol. It's taught me a lot. My aim is to finish a W60 at least, though if I make it to Memorial Day weekend, it will be a W85. I like the sound of that. We'll see.

Keep on keeping on, y'all!

Awesome job staying the course, LadyM - it's funny how once you're in the groove it's actually easier to eat well than to constantly navigate all the crappy choices. I love not having to decide "will I have desert?" When at a restaurant and stuff like that.

I did a bold AIP reintro today - I tested three seed spices together (cumin, coriander and sumac).

I figure there is a pretty low risk of any of these being problematic and I don't feel like waiting another two weeks to get through each on its own.

Next will probably be macadamia nuts. I was planning on re-challenging with sesame oil but realized today, as I was eating one of the things that I make that I always used to put sesame oil on, that I've gotten used to not having it so it's no problem for it to be missing for a while longer. And I have a few things I need to reintro before our trip May 9th to help make the travel easier...

I am starting another Whole30 on Monday to support a friend who really wants to do one. And also for me as bad habits have kicked in again. It took over three weeks this time instead of less than 24 hours so I am hoping that the 'bad gaps' will get smaller and I will eventually be 100% paleo. 

Hey Sharyn, I have the same question as LadyM. Fasting, or 500 calories on a given day as you describe it, is a pretty drastic change from the whole30, and there aren't a lot of contexts where I would recommend that sort of a program. Fasting is notoriously hard on the hormones and adrenals, especially in women. proceed with caution, ok?

Hi Sharyn - Welcome back to W30!

I'm not recommitting 100% until June 1, but I'm mostly compliant these days. Anniversary dinner sushi later in the week with my honey will NOT be compliant. :)

Need to remember to bring coconut aminos with me, with maybe a little tamari for back-up, in case the aminos are awful used that way.

We went out to dinner last night and nothing looked both appealing and compliant with all my dietary choices these days, so I decided on the steak with bearnaise sauce, moving egg yolk up one night from it's planned introduction.  

I'd forgotten how good a freshly made béarnaise sauce can be! (It was a nice brasserie, with homemade sauce, not industrial packaged stuff).  So far so good in terms of reaction. Will have another egg yolk today some time to get enough exposure.

Macadamia nuts seemed to have gone fine too! 

I might have spoken too soon about thinking egg yolk would be okay.  I did two exposures, two nights at dinner consecutively and am having a few skin things - maybe just a coincidence, but maybe a reaction. Will watch over the coming days but I'm leaning towards keeping them eliminated for another month or so and then re-challenging.... 

• Moderators

I admire your commitment and methodical approach to reintroductions, Sarah. I hope eventually you're ok with egg yolks, for mayo if nothing else!

Thanks, LadyM - I think I'm just in a good head space right now, so it's more interesting to watch this process than it's a pain to be on such a limited diet.  There are many times in my past that I would have had a different attitude...

Also, I admit that it's now much more interesting knowing that maybe there is some rationale behind this careful schedule of reintroductions, to see my body not always being happy about a reintroduced food is reinforcement that it's worth the time and trouble. 

And I'm in the groove with this way of eating now - into the 3rd month now (not counting the reintroductions, but even with them my diet is really clean and except for the fact I chose to add back butter instead of mess around with ghee I'm W30 compliant).  And now I'm thinking it would be such a shame to have to do this again - it's such a long process to really work through AIP reintroductions, since there are so very many foods eliminated. (I admit I hadn't really thought this part through before I started!) So now I have all this sunk time it seems smarter just to keep going than to veer off course and potentially need to redo it all.

Archived