Starting my 1st whole 30 on April 1st!

Mburgess04

I'm 23, a baker, and a mommy to a 15 year old beagle and a 8 month old PitBull. I will be getting married September 13th of this year and needed a kick in the right direction to prepare for fitting in my wedding dress! So nervous but excited to see my life change in the next 30 days. Any tips or advice from anyone would be AWESOME!

Congratulations! I'm also a doggie mama to a 3 year old Doberman. It's funny because I've had him on a natural, raw, processed junk-free diet for months, on only now am I finally getting around to cleaning up my own nutrition.

Today's my first day, and so far so good. 1 meal down, 89 to go...

Hi All,

It's my first day too, and so far so good. Apple and spinach scramble started my day, and I feel pretty good. I will admit I am missing having some toast or a bagel, but hence the reason for doing this. My cravings have been super bad recently, and I know I need to change and reset myself. I have recently become a certified personal trainer, and through all what I have learned, and what I want to pass on to others, I realized that the biggest challenge I have in this journey is myself. I want to set a good example, so that means changing me first. I wish you all luck, and any helpful tips let me know!!

Hello, Happy Day 1 & good luck to everyone!

Starting my 3rd Whole30 today -- decided this year to do it quarterly after my first one last summer.  It turned into a "whole75" and my results were spectacular in the area of most concern to me -- blood sugar management.  That first one, I whined & complained & tried to weasel my way around things to get my sugar fix.  But the the Whole30 daily & these forums helped me along with lots of useful suggestions & judicious doses of tough love.  =)

Bottom line:  Hemoglobin A1c went from 5.8 to 5.3; for those that aren't familiar with the numbers, 5.8 is pushing diabetic land (officially, by diagnosis, I'm "pre-diabetic").  For a drop of 1/2 a point in a range of 4-7 to happen in a couple of months is just amazing.

Hang in there, it is sooooooooooo worth it.

Oy! First day without my usual sweets between breakfast and lunch. I have to admit I already have a headache. But then that shouldn't surprise me considering my HUGE sugar addiction. I wished I had more down time this week, but my schedule is packed. Looking forward to the weekend and a facial I have scheduled. And some time to relax.

Hope everybody is doing well.

Cheers!

Hi all,

Just started this morning and it's no April Fools joke.  :-)  I'm worried about how this will work out for me. Have tried a hundred ways to lose weight. Actually,to give myself some credit, I used to weigh 80 pounds more than I do today, kept it off for ten years. but I started to gain slowly a few years ago and have put on about 20 since experiencing a trauma 3 years ago. Long story short, have gotten help with the trauma, started working out with a trainer again a month ago. Ready to take the 20 off and the last 10 I could never lose before. Paleo makes sense, rationally, but on a feelings level I have no idea how I'll make it. I quit refined sugar a year ago so that's not as much of a worry as bread, rice, oats, pasta, Diet Coke (augh!) ... I'm getting hungry thinking about it! 

Thanks for any suggestions people have.

Michelle

Hello & Happy Day 3 to us all!!

@marymichelle:

Everyone 's different, but these tips have helped me-->

Breakfast - focus on good fat & protein

LOTS of non-starchy veggies every meal

Increase good fats @ dinner (my trouble spot)

Instead of "fruit for dessert" tasty herbal tea (compliant of course) with a little coconut milk (yeah, I know, I wanted to punch that person in the face for that suggestion, but it helped)

Include little fruit WITH the meal, but not as dessert (there's an explanation on the forum somewhere but I can't remember where)

Also, stay active in these forums - search, post a meal log, stay accountable, whine, ask questions, whatever - staying connected saved me many times

You can do this - we can help (each other) =)

Thanks, everybody, for your comments and suggestions!

Day 3 was a little tough for me. Not enough planning and I was hungry a few times. Stayed compliant, but was bored... until dinner! Baked curry salmon with sauteed kale and a few strawberries. Hadn't thought of skipping fruit as a dessert, will have to think on that. Does seem to make sense if I'm trying to let go of my old ideas about what good eating looks like -- don't have to finish a meal with something sweet, in other words.

I greatly underestimated the amount of vegetables I'd need on this way of eating. Made a plan to go to our farmer's market on Saturday, hope to make this a regular Saturday morning thing.

Happy to be doing this, excited to see how my attitude about food and eating changes. It's about time!

Michelle

Hey, it's day 9 here too. It's going so damn good I lost a pant size already!!!

Amazing results, and on top of it: IBS is under control and I'm sleeping so good :P

Down side: I need to go shopping again, but I try to hold on until saturday with my leftovers. Too bad it's expensive to eat healthy right? :(

Oh and my friends were amazing: they invited us for dinner and so we told them about Whole30. Guess what? They just made a Whole30 dinner around a stonegrill! What an awesome idea (and friends :P)

We are half-way there, Happy Day 15 to us all!

Started training for my second full marathon last week. Still felt like a struggle on the long run but once again, the Whole30 effect on recovery is notable.

Oh, lest one get the wrong idea, I'm not some young, slim runner girl - nope!! Charter member of the old, slow, fat runners club here!!

Archived