Coffee / gluten cross-reaction

nimbus

Does anyone else have a problem with coffee? I have been getting IBS-type symptoms despite avoiding all my usual triggers. Eliminating coffee eliminates the problem. A quick google produced the information that coffee contains proteins which cross-react for gluten. :(

Well, that explains a LOT! I had no idea! I do okay on coffee when I am not eating all the other bad stuff, but it does still affect me. I have always known it affects me, but am too bull-headed to give it up. Actually, I have given up caffeine on occasion, but I never stick with it for long. Thanks for the info. I'll go do some research, too. Bummer! But good to know, right?

Does anyone else have a problem with coffee? I have been getting IBS-type symptoms despite avoiding all my usual triggers. Eliminating coffee eliminates the problem. A quick google produced the information that coffee contains proteins which cross-react for gluten. :(

It may be the acidity of the coffee that is upsetting your digestion. Do you tend to lighter or darker coffees? I read somewhere recently that the lighter the coffee, the higher the acidity... You could also try cold-brewing - that is supposed to eliminate about 60% of the acidity. I've been cold-brewing for my partner (I'm a tea drinker...) and she says it's much easier to drink black than what she gets from the Keurig.

I can't drink more than one cup of full strength coffee without having an unhappy gut. I do okay with gluten in small amounts, although I generally avoid it.

I can do more decaf or half caf-half decaf

Archived