buckwheat, quinoa, and nightshades

mands

I came across the 'whole30' yesterday - I have been doing something very similar since May last year.

I have an autoimmune condition, Graves Disease, which improved month on month after changing my diet and is now in remission.

I was curious to see quinoa and buckwheat in your list of foods to avoid, as I'm aware these are (non-grass) plant seeds rather than grains.  I eat a fair amount of buckwheat and so far have no problems from it.

I also eat a very small amount of nightshades (I get a weekly veg bag, so if it contains nightshades I will eat them, but I dont buy them separately ever).  I understand that a substantial percentage of graves sufferers may also be intolerant of nightshades.  I am aware I have had a problem with peppers for years, but assumed I was allergic to capsaicin  - I have re-evaluated this in the last year and am unsure if its is capsaicin or nightshades that I'm allergic to.

What are your thought on nightshades, and why do you consider buckwheat and quinoa foods to be avoided?

Many thanks,

Mandy

ps I also ferment a proportion of my veg and eat or drink something fermented everyday - I believe this is also an important aspect of a healthy diet â€“ what are your thoughts on fermented foods and drinks?

Hi There,

I'm not 100% on the science-y reason why the gluten free grains are to be avoided but I can vouch for one thing.

I too have an AI condition - a minor one (Roseacea) and a more painful one (Hidradentis Suppurativa) as well as Migraines.  For me personally after a few whole 30's I found out that I have more stomach and body reaction to the gluten free grains, than actual grains.  Each gluten free grain has a different reaction. whereas grains I can only consume when there is a large amount of fat content with it.

So you may think you have no reaction to the buckwheat and quinoa, but you will never know until you eliminate it for 30 days and the do the re-intro. 

thank you for your reply on the buckwheat - it just says they contain harmful compounds but doesnt explain anything further - as far as I've read they are also highly nutritious - I would just like to understand the reasoning behind their not being allowed....?

When I first went GF, I tried both quinoa and buckwheat. I could not tolerate quinoa. Buckwheat was ok in small amounts, but I tried a bowl of buckwheat cereal and felt horrible. The issue with grains (and buckwheat, while technically not a grain) have phytic acid, which can interfere with nutrients being absorbed.  Some people believe in soaking grains helps with that, but as with beans, is it really worth it? These foods are not that nutrient dense (compared to their carbo load) to go through the trouble, IMO. If you are auto-immune, as I am, you want to avoid any of these types of irritants that can cause inflammation and increase the auto-immune response.

Nightshades are very similar, they have toxins to protect them from insects and those can cause response from mild irritation to full blown allergic reactions. It's not the capascian, it's the solanine, which causes the problems. Of course, many can't tolerate the capascian in peppers as well, but that doesn't cause an AI response, and only peppers have capascian. Other nightshades are tomatoes, potatoes (not sweet potatoes) eggplants, tabacco (if you handle the leaves) and goji berries, and spices such as chili powder and paprika. Again, if you have an AI disorder, you should be avoiding all nightshades. There is a specific W30 AI list on the website, you should check it out.

Here are some links on phytic acid and nightshades.

http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/living-with-phytic-acid

http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/nightshades

thank you for your reply on the buckwheat - it just says they contain harmful compounds but doesnt explain anything further - as far as I've read they are also highly nutritious - I would just like to understand the reasoning behind their not being allowed....?

Although buckwheat is not a grain it may react the same as a grain in your body. The point of the whole30 is to eliminate anything that could disturb your digestion or irritate your gut. Here is a link the the paleo mom about gluten cross reactivity. Maybe this will give you the answers you are looking for. Sometimes you just need to have faith in the program. Give it a try it's only 30 days. You can always go back to eating them later. http://www.thepaleomom.com/2013/03/gluten-cross-reactivity-update-how-your-body-can-still-think-youre-eating-gluten-even-after-giving-it-up.html.   

I always soak my seeds and nuts before eating them - actually I sprout my buckwheat and whizz it up with some other things for breakfast.  My diet is so limited, I'm pretty much vegan, although I eat a lot of eggs, lots of veg, coconut and olive oils, nutritional yeast, a bit of fruit... I'd be reluctant to cut out buckwheat as it does provide an alternative to scrambling eggs with greens every morning.  Occasionally I enjoy soba (buckwheat noodles) which feels like a bit of a treat...  I will keep your comments in mind tho and think about cutting back..  thank you...

mands - you might be interested in reading Dallas and Melissa's Grain Manifesto. While we understand that buckwheat and quinoa are not grains, they are addressed in general there.  I'd also encourage you to pick up a copy of It Starts With Food for a detailed explanation.

http://whole9life.com/2013/02/grain-manifesto/

Archived