Whole30 Sample Reintroduction Schedule

SharynF

• Moderators

Ahhh yes, now I remember her saying that about the ketchup. Thank you!

one more question. Would you suggest doing a separate sulfite re intro with maybe some jarred olives or peppers before a wine reintro to better pinpoint the effect of sulfites? I am not at all sure how I react to just this one ingredient and I would like to know.

Sorry, I didn't see this, and you may have already done your reintros. If you're curious about sulfites in particular, this would be one way to do it. Keep in mind that while many people who have a reaction to red wine (headaches seem to be the biggest reaction) often blame sulfites, there are actually sulfites in white wine too, and some of the same people can react to red but not white, so there's some other something that some people are reacting to besides sulfites.

I'm not quite up to the reintroduction stage yet, but thinking about it. I'm wondering if I should do a separate reintroduction day for corn products, specifically, apart from other non-gluten grains? I've suspected that corn is an issue, and I know other people have allergies specific to corn. Has anyone tried this?

As part of a very slow roll introduction, I did corn separately, and also oatmeal on its own day. Still haven't gotten to rice. :-)

Keep in mind that while many people who have a reaction to red wine (headaches seem to be the biggest reaction) often blame sulfites, there are actually sulfites in white wine too, and some of the same people can react to red but not white, so there's some other something that some people are reacting to besides sulfites.

• Grape skin - This is why red wine is red and there are actually a lot of people allergic to a protein in the skin called LTP, some people have a reaction to the fermentation of the skins only, others have trouble with grapes too (some fruit juices contain a splash of grape juice).
  • Tannins - Also found in grape skin but most people have tasted them in black tea.
  • Histamine & Tyramine - Found in aged and fermented foods, red wine is usually fermented for longer.
  • Alcohol - Often dismissed, if the red wine you drink is higher in alcohol than the white, it may just be the alcohol.
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, MrsKennel said:

Question about bacon... we have nitrate free bacon but it has honey in it. I need to wait until I'm done with the reintroduction period to introduce it back to my diet, correct? Or can I have some with our brussel sprouts tonight?

You'd need to wait until after reintroductions, or if you do a reintroduction day of sugar/honey/sweeteners of some kind you could have it then.

Also, just in case you didn't realize, nitrates/nitrites are okay for Whole30 purposes, it's sulfites that are not.

I am a bit confused. The reintro schedule here on the site, the reintro schedule in Food Freedom and the reintro schedule I got in my Day 33 are all different! I'm not sure what order I should be doing this in! Today is Day 31 and I had originally planned on just doing wine tonight then moving on in 2 days. But the email didn't even mention taking a day for wine, but the book does. I'm so confused!

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Divachef said:

I am a bit confused. The reintro schedule here on the site, the reintro schedule in Food Freedom and the reintro schedule I got in my Day 33 are all different! I'm not sure what order I should be doing this in! Today is Day 31 and I had originally planned on just doing wine tonight then moving on in 2 days. But the email didn't even mention taking a day for wine, but the book does. I'm so confused!

All of the schedules are just suggestions -- as long as you follow the basic process they outline (reintro one thing at a time, at least two days of Whole30 eating between reintros, and don't have the things you've reintroduced again until you're completely done with reintroductions), you can do them in whatever order makes sense for you.

One of the lists goes in order from least likely to cause issues for most people, to most likely to cause issues -- that one ends on gluten, but I can't remember now what it starts with, legumes maybe? Some people break down their reintroductions even further -- instead of just dairy, they do regular dairy, low or no lactose dairy, goat's milk versus cow's milk, etc. -- the details are really up to you, based on what you want to try to learn from them.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

All of the schedules are just suggestions -- as long as you follow the basic process they outline (reintro one thing at a time, at least two days of Whole30 eating between reintros, and don't have the things you've reintroduced again until you're completely done with reintroductions), you can do them in whatever order makes sense for you.

One of the lists goes in order from least likely to cause issues for most people, to most likely to cause issues -- that one ends on gluten, but I can't remember now what it starts with, legumes maybe? Some people break down their reintroductions even further -- instead of just dairy, they do regular dairy, low or no lactose dairy, goat's milk versus cow's milk, etc. -- the details are really up to you, based on what you want to try to learn from them.

Thank you so much for this! I was unsure what to do, so pretty much the only thing I had yesterday was some wine with dinner. I noticed during the meal (a salad) that there was a small amount of cheese in it, but I don't really think that qualifies as introducing dairy officially. I will stay compliant for another day, and the start dairy. I'm hoping to be mostly done by Turkey Day!

• 2 months later...

So, my plan is not to introduce non-paleo compliant foods at all (so no dairy, no gluten, grains, or legumes) however I did have a piece of paleo chocolate on the weekend and instant migraine! I also got a lettuce wrapped burger and asked for no sauce. Well, I got sauce and since it was takeout in a snow storm I didn't take it back for a new one. 24 hours later my blood sugar was super high and wouldn't come down, and now 36 hours later I have horrible cramps and a fever (what I used to get from soy before when I had fully eliminated it). So, no more chocolate (will try carob at some point) or soy for me! (And yes I know soy is a legume; I'm referring to it as an add-in in this case though, more like an emulsifier). 

• 3 weeks later...

Something I don't understand about the reintroduction schedule. All through the Whole30 we're told that it can take 30 days or more to really see the effect of removing the offending foods from our diet. And we're given a list of symptoms we're likely to experience from removing them. Why, then, are we expected to decide in 1-2 days that a new food group, when added back in to our diet, is bothering us? How do we know it's not bothering us simply because it's newly added back? Much like eating after fasting, you are GOING to have various reactions when you eat again. It seems to me that if it takes 30 days to really see what a Whole30 compliant diet really means for your body then it would take that long to isolate each new food group and make comparisons. The schedule just doesn't make logical sense based on the other caveats of Whole30.

12 hours ago, Topsy said:

How do we know it's not bothering us simply because it's newly added back? Much like eating after fasting, you are GOING to have various reactions when you eat again. It seems to me that if it takes 30 days to really see what a Whole30 compliant diet really means for your body then it would take that long to isolate each new food group and make comparisons. The schedule just doesn't make logical sense based on the other caveats of Whole30.

Nah, that's the beauty of the "clean slate" that's created after 30 days of elimination.  You aren't automatically going to have a negative reaction just because you've avoided something for 30 days. It carageenan makes you itchy, or soy makes your fingernails hurt, that's going to be a specific thing you're going to want to take note of.  We can all "get used to" stuff and have a "new normal" --- that's why people who move from Oregon to Nevada all of a sudden report stuff like "holy crap, I can breathe better!"  If they just lived in Nevada for 30 days, then moved back to Oregon, well, sure, after 30 days in Oregon they probably wouldn't be conscious of the fact that their sinuses are all clogged up from mildew and whatever, but that doesn't mean Oregon is a friend to them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you to everyone for the information above.

I have one follow up. The example for the first day is peanut butter on apple, miso soup at lunch and side of black beans for dinner. If the next day if my body reacts, how do I know which of the 3 it was? Is the idea that if it were say the peanut butter, I would feel it immediately after? 

Thanks.

• Like 1

• Moderators

You may have an obvious reaction after one of the three, or you may end the day just generally feeling not so great. If it's the first, you know that that particular food is causing a reaction, if it's the second, you really just know that in general, legumes aren't great for you.

Some people do break things down more, so if they're curious about peanuts/peanut butter in particular, they do a day of just peanuts. They could then do a day of just soy if they wondered about soy. It really depends on what you want to know from your reintroductions. As they're laid out in the official reintroduction schedule, it's really the quickest way to get some basic information. If you want more than that, that's up to you.

On 4/2/2017 at 9:53 AM, Nlstir said:

Thank you to everyone for the information above.

I have one follow up. The example for the first day is peanut butter on apple, miso soup at lunch and side of black beans for dinner. If the next day if my body reacts, how do I know which of the 3 it was? Is the idea that if it were say the peanut butter, I would feel it immediately after? 

Thanks.

Wow... I just read thru this whole forum topic looking to see if anyone else had this exact issue!

Yesterday was my legume reintro.  I did peanut butter with breakfast, soy sauce & Edamame with lunch, and black beans with dinner.  Today I am experiencing some GI issues (bloat, some gas and slight diarrhea- sorry if TMI).  I think it is great that I can pinpoint these issues... But have no clue if they are from "legumes" or one of the specific kinds that I ate??? 

I am not particularly interested in the impact of peanut butter... I actually found (thru reintroduction) that I prefer almond butter.  Cool, huh?

I was thinking about adding some reintro days at the end of my 10 day reintro to specifically call out soy vs. beans. I did some research on FODMAPS and think there may be something there. 

So, if after testing the other groups (non gluten, dairy, gluten and alcohol) would adding a soy reintro day and a bean reintro day (with the two W30 days in between) be an acceptable way forward?  And keeping on with this pattern for any other questionable subsets (cow's milk vs goat's milk, etc)?

Thanks!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Melly88 said:

So, if after testing the other groups (non gluten, dairy, gluten and alcohol) would adding a soy reintro day and a bean reintro day (with the two W30 days in between) be an acceptable way forward?  And keeping on with this pattern for any other questionable subsets (cow's milk vs goat's milk, etc)?

Yes.

Break it down as much as you like to gather the most accurate information that you can.

• Like 1

Hello. On my non-gluten reintroduction day, can I have a paleo brownie (made with almond flour and coconut sugar) as one of my items in exchange of non-gluten piece of bread or rice, etc? I know a rule is no baked goods - even if compliant - but I was thinking this would be ok since it's reintro? 

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Nlstir said:

Hello. On my non-gluten reintroduction day, can I have a paleo brownie (made with almond flour and coconut sugar) as one of my items in exchange of non-gluten piece of bread or rice, etc? I know a rule is no baked goods - even if compliant - but I was thinking this would be ok since it's reintro? 

People have bread or ice cream on other reintro days, so yes, this would be fine.

14 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

People have bread or ice cream on other reintro days, so yes, this would be fine.

Ok thank you. Now that I have looked at the recipe I am concrrned. I am wondering if it isn't compliant now because of butter and the semi sweet chocolate chips? I understand we are reintroducing non compliant foods and that's the purpose but is the butter and chocolate too much since it's only supposed to be a non gluten grain day? Thank you!

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Nlstir said:

Ok thank you. Now that I have looked at the recipe I am concrrned. I am wondering if it isn't compliant now because of butter and the semi sweet chocolate chips? I understand we are reintroducing non compliant foods and that's the purpose but is the butter and chocolate too much since it's only supposed to be a non gluten grain day? Thank you!

This won't work then -- there'll be dairy in the butter, and maybe in the chocolate chips, and probably soy in the chocolate chips. If it were just a paleofied thing using Whole30 compliant ingredients, other than the rice flour you were using to reintroduce non-gluten grains, it would work, but if you had this and reacted badly, you wouldn't know if it was the dairy or the non-gluten grains or the soy. Maybe save this recipe for after all your reintros are done, and for your non-gluten grains, just have a serving of rice or corn or quinoa with your dinner instead.

hello, I am back with another question (sorry!). my reintroduction has been going great and I am so relieved. I would like some clarification though for my remaining two days: dairy and gluten. so it says in the reintroduction section of the whole30 materials to have some ice cream after dinner for dairy and then on gluten day one of the options is a muffin. I know in this reading it also talks about that you will incidentally get some added sugars/ingredients when introducing these foods. My question here though is does that cover then say a chocolate chip muffin is okay, or ice cream with cookie pieces in it is ok? I was going to steer clear and maybe just get plain vanilla or plain chocolate and then maybe a fruit muffin. But in talking to others doing the reintro we came up with this idea of what was ok as far as ingredients in these types of things. could you please advise? thanks!

• Moderators

Sugar is less likely to cause physical issues and more likely to cause emotional reactions/cravings, so if there's sugar in with your dairy, or sugar in with your wheat, you're still probably going to be able to separate out what's a reaction to the dairy versus what's a reaction to the sugar. However, if you have ice cream that contains wheat, you really don't know whether it's the wheat or the dairy, since they can cause similar reactions.

2 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

Sugar is less likely to cause physical issues and more likely to cause emotional reactions/cravings, so if there's sugar in with your dairy, or sugar in with your wheat, you're still probably going to be able to separate out what's a reaction to the dairy versus what's a reaction to the sugar. However, if you have ice cream that contains wheat, you really don't know whether it's the wheat or the dairy, since they can cause similar reactions.

understood. is there a specific kind of ice cream/frozen yogurt/soft serve you recommend reintroducing to avoid wheat? otherwise I will just check labels.