Whole30 Sample Reintroduction Schedule

SharynF

On 16-10-2014 at 4:38 AM, Robin Strathdee said:

Kirkor- Correct, the new reintroduction schedule is phrased in terms of least to most likely to cause issues. BUT, order can change based on personal context and preferences. If you have a preferred order, or want to skip foods on our list, please feel free. Our schedule is our best recommendation, but variation is not a deal breaker.

I'm still confused... should I follow the reintroduction schedule in the book (so starting with dairy), or what's on the website (start with legumes). I start this coming Wednesday (3 more days left only... iiieeekkk!), so need to start planning my meals.

Would be really great if one of the professionals could shed some clarity. I saw someone else asked this question too but it doesn't get answered anywhere, instead snowed under by a discussion on dairy. I understand the concept of how to reintroduce, I just really really want to do it in the right order since I've never had any food sensitivities and am extremely curious to how my body will respond after these 30 days.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Annayllop said:

I'm still confused... should I follow the reintroduction schedule in the book (so starting with dairy), or what's on the website (start with legumes).

The suggestions in the book and online for the order of reintroductions are just suggestions. You are free to do it in whatever order you prefer. If I recall correctly, the website one is in order of least likely to be problematic through most likely......but there is no "right order". Also know that you do not HAVE to reintroduce things you know you won't be eating again or things you already know give you trouble. For example in my house we do not ever, ever eat soy. So no need to introduce it. And I already know that dairy gives me trouble so I wouldn't test that either.

It's a personal experiment, do it how you feel is right for you. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I've a question on re-intro. My husband and I are thinking of going on the fast track, but we do have events coming up on the weekend so I'm not quite sure how that's going to work out. We might end up doing somewhat of a slow roll but we're afraid that we may not end up knowing what's actually causing issues. Day 30 is tomorrow. Any how, I'm thinking of introducing soy first because Asian food has lots of soy, and we might not introduce the rest of the legumes because we really don't eat that much of it. IF soy does not give us any issue, does it mean that during the next intro day, we can keep some soy in the picture (e.g. soy sauce in marinates) or do we have to revert to total whole 30 + said intro food group (e.g. gluten free grains like rice?)

Hope my question makes sense. Thank you! 

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Delicacious said:

Hi all, I've a question on re-intro. My husband and I are thinking of going on the fast track, but we do have events coming up on the weekend so I'm not quite sure how that's going to work out. We might end up doing somewhat of a slow roll but we're afraid that we may not end up knowing what's actually causing issues. Day 30 is tomorrow. Any how, I'm thinking of introducing soy first because Asian food has lots of soy, and we might not introduce the rest of the legumes because we really don't eat that much of it. IF soy does not give us any issue, does it mean that during the next intro day, we can keep some soy in the picture (e.g. soy sauce in marinates) or do we have to revert to total whole 30 + said intro food group (e.g. gluten free grains like rice?)

Hope my question makes sense. Thank you! 

Each item that you reintroduce is to be done on a completely clear framework. Ie, if you introduce soy first, you eat Whole30 for a couple of days to see how you react and then you move on to the next item. Each item is done alone.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

If I do a slow roll reintroduction and focus on specific foods within a food group should I test all foods within that group before moving onto the next or can I choose the order that works best for me?

example:

day 31 peanuts 

day 34 gluten free oats

day 37 beans

and so on but not doing all legumes befor moving onto gluten free grains?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, lizzard22 said:

If I do a slow roll reintroduction and focus on specific foods within a food group should I test all foods within that group before moving onto the next or can I choose the order that works best for me?

example:

day 31 peanuts 

day 34 gluten free oats

day 37 beans

and so on but not doing all legumes befor moving onto gluten free grains?

You can choose whatever order works for you. What do you mean not doing all legumes? You don't have to separate peas, black beans, pinto beans etc.

13 minutes ago, lizzard22 said:

Thank you, what I means was only doing one of the foods out of the food group at a time like peanuts one day then beans another day but it might be after I reintroduce a gluten free grain. 

Yep, this is fine - lots of folk specifically separate out peanuts & soy from the other legumes as they are known allergens. It's entirely up to you how much you want to break it down, and provided you're leaving at least two days in between the order shouldn't matter - I'd probably suggest you go from least likely to cause issues first, with most likely to cause issues reintro'ed last.

Hope this helps!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I'm finishing up a nightshade free W30 the day after tomorrow.  Any suggestions on reintroducing them as a group vs individually - so three days of tomatoes, then three days of peppers or just reintroduce "nightshades".  Thanks!  

Personally I'd break them down @littleg In any food group there are usually those that can be tolerated better than others so you may be able to find some that you can add to your food rotation at least occasionally.... Potatoes I'd try with & without skins too as the skin seems to be an issue for some.

Good luck!

I think I am keeping GT's Kombucha in business single handedly... Not taking any bottled probiotics.  Not a ton of fermented stuff these days either.  I should buy some.  Overall gut feels the best it has in a while.  But pregnancy seemed to have somehow done that - after getting over the insane post partum rabbit pellet poops I've settled into the least bloated/gassy I've been in a while.  I do have an appointment with a rheumatologist next week.  That should make my fingers heal up - making a doctors appointment usually cures me! :lol:

• Like 1

Is it ok to reintroduce things of the same group on the same day? For example, I want to reintroduce hummus and black beans. Should I do them on separate reintro days or can I do hummus at lunch, black beans at dinner, and then evaluate my reaction for the next 2 days? This question stands for all of the groups being reintroduced. I want to know how things make me react, but I don't want to be in the reintro phase forever if everything needs to be completely separate. Any insight is welcome!!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Nisha said:

Is it ok to reintroduce things of the same group on the same day? For example, I want to reintroduce hummus and black beans. Should I do them on separate reintro days or can I do hummus at lunch, black beans at dinner, and then evaluate my reaction for the next 2 days? This question stands for all of the groups being reintroduced. I want to know how things make me react, but I don't want to be in the reintro phase forever if everything needs to be completely separate. Any insight is welcome!!

Yes, as long as they're all from the same group, all legumes or all dairy, so not beans cheese on the same day, but hummus and peanuts one day, cheese and milk another day. 

• 1 month later...
On July 8, 2017 at 11:46 AM, ladyshanny said:

The suggestions in the book and online for the order of reintroductions are just suggestions. You are free to do it in whatever order you prefer.

The video seems to say the opposite of this.  Was there a point in time where the reintro order because a suggestion rather than not quite a rule but more than a suggestion? :) Thanks for the link to the video, btw, I'd never seen that before!

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, littleg said:

The video seems to say the opposite of this.  Was there a point in time where the reintro order because a suggestion rather than not quite a rule but more than a suggestion? :) Thanks for the link to the video, btw, I'd never seen that before!

I don't know what video you're talking about? The reintro order is least problematic to most problematic. Realistically there is no "right way" because some of the things people don't want to bring back, some they need to break out more, some they need more time with. I don't know of any time that the reintro schedule wasn't just a suggestion, although one made with the intent of ordering them from least to most problematic.

She says "you reintroduce these foods... in an order that we've outlined for you... least problematic to most problematic".  So I guess I don't see that as "you can reintroduce foods however you want but we suggest x,y,z" - her words make it seem more like a "rule".

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, littleg said:

She says "you reintroduce these foods... in an order that we've outlined for you... least problematic to most problematic".  So I guess I don't see that as "you can reintroduce foods however you want but we suggest x,y,z" - her words make it seem more like a "rule".

Hunh, you are correct (and I've never seen that video!). The "least problematic to most problematic" does definitely stand. That's the most efficient and least disruptive way to do it. I still believe that you can do it in whatever order you want, especially if there is something coming up where the person KNOWS that they will encounter it and want to know now what the impact would be. Reintro is a personal experiment best done in the way outlined but you don't fail your Whole30 if you put toast before dairy. :) I guess where I get my reasoning is that if you're doing "slow roll", you don't know what the item is going to be until such time as it comes up. Maybe it's cake or maybe it's bean dip. We wouldn't say "no, no cake until you come across a legume based dish that is worth it first". If you're doing it in the 10 days and want it done the fastest way possible, then following the order they prescribe is your best bet.

Thanks for linking the video, I'm going to go watch it now!

@ladyshanny Yeah, it was a good video - I had never seen it either!  It did bring up another question for me though... slow roll, she talks about waiting until mom bakes cookies and then you decide, ok, today I'm going to try a cookie.  When you do slow roll are you introducing entire recipes you like (so a cookie, which may have gluten and dairy) vs food genres (gluten, dairy, etc)?  Thanks!