Whole30 Sample Reintroduction Schedule

SharynF

• Administrators
Just now, littleg said:

@ladyshanny Yeah, it was a good video - I had never seen it either!  It did bring up another question for me though... slow roll, she talks about waiting until mom bakes cookies and then you decide, ok, today I'm going to try a cookie.  When you do slow roll are you introducing entire recipes you like (so a cookie, which may have gluten and dairy) vs food genres (gluten, dairy, etc)?  Thanks!

Ya, I wondered that too when it first came out but I think the point is to literally go SO SLOWLY that you have the opportunity to figure it out. It takes, I think, more self assessment. So you have the cookie and you feel sort of crappy and your excema flares up the next day. So, you decide you probably don't want the cookie next time. Then 2 or 3 weeks later you have ice cream and your exzcema flares up again. So now you can be fairly sure dairy probably bothers your skin. 3 weeks later you have a fresh baked dinner roll (no butter) and you feel sort of crappy. You link that crappy feeling back to the same crappy feeling after the cookie and you can also assume that gluten gives you this feeling.

It's less definitive at first because all you know is that something bothered you, but I think you get more valuable information the longer you go along. Maybe dairy plus gluten is a no-go but gluten alone isn't as big a deal. Maybe legumes are great but legumes plus sour cream are a crap-show.  I think you get more information relating to how you actually eat most of the time. So if you aren't a person that jams legumes into every meal like you would do during the 10-day reintro, you get info more relating to how you would use the food. Does that make sense? It's just my take on it and I've never done a 10-day reintro because that's just not how my life works, it didn't make any sense to me. My bothersome items are ALL dose dependant so jamming a bunch of them into a small time frame is going to blow the ship right out of the water every time.

• 2 weeks later...

When you are doing reintroduction, how do you know what to cut back on from the Whole30 meal template to make “room” for the food being reintroduced?

i assume that for legumes:

I would replace some of the protein with chickpeas; peas would replace some vegetables & peanut butter would    replace some fat?

For dairy: sour cream = fat, cheese = protein or fat?, cream in coffee = fat?

but I’m more confused about both non gluten and gluten grains...

help please

• Moderators

@Fernsk there's no hard and fast rule, so just whatever makes sense to you, I guess. Think about how you'd use these things in a typical meal -- if you're having bread, and you'd mostly just want a piece or two at the end of the meal to sop up the last bit of sauces on a plate, you might just have slightly less of everything  so you wouldn't be too stuffed to have the bread. If you serve something over rice, even though rice is not a vegetable, for the average person, it's kind of taking the place of vegetables, so instead of having your food over cauli rice or over a potato, you have it over rice. Just try to eat these things the way you normally would want to have them and do the best you can to build your meal around that.

• Like 2

I’ve done some googling, but just wondering at what point it is ok to loosen up on those sneaky added sugars. I don’t want to tank my reintros, so does it make more sense to wait? Current plan is: day 31 (yesterday) wine; day 34 legumes; day 37 gf grains; day 40 dairy; day 43 gluten. I may do a day 46 sugar (sugar in coffee, sugar with apple, etc, as I’ve seen in the forum).

For sneaky sugar I mean like the amount in bacon or a tea with stevia (aka half my tea stash). Not faceplant into sale Easter candy. Are tea or bacon likely to cause a reaction?

• 6 months later...

Day 30 and investigating all my reintroduction options.  I've been feeling good and I'm oddly nervous about reintroduction, but I have a dilemma.  Tomorrow is Thursday and on Saturday I have a friend's birthday, which will involve wine and dinner.  Is it not ok to have a glass of wine tonight to test to see if I'm ok to drink it on Saturday?  The timing is a bit off, I know...

Now in terms of the dinner, it's family style, so the menu is already selected and the food is actually quite close to Whole30, but it's a French restaurant, so my guess is that BUTTER will be the main ingredient.  Does that mean I'm testing dairy? I'm just unclear about when butter gets reintroduced.  Now there's also a charcuterie of meats, and bacon in a salad, which might be laced with sugar... should I avoid those? or is the amount of sugar not considered a test?  I wasn't planning on having the dessert or the selection of fine cheeses (sigh), unless of course I can have a glass of wine tonight.  Please help, I've looked everywhere to try to find an answer.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Sylvie_P said:

Day 30 and investigating all my reintroduction options.  I've been feeling good and I'm oddly nervous about reintroduction, but I have a dilemma.  Tomorrow is Thursday and on Saturday I have a friend's birthday, which will involve wine and dinner.  Is it not ok to have a glass of wine tonight to test to see if I'm ok to drink it on Saturday?  The timing is a bit off, I know...

Now in terms of the dinner, it's family style, so the menu is already selected and the food is actually quite close to Whole30, but it's a French restaurant, so my guess is that BUTTER will be the main ingredient.  Does that mean I'm testing dairy? I'm just unclear about when butter gets reintroduced.  Now there's also a charcuterie of meats, and bacon in a salad, which might be laced with sugar... should I avoid those? or is the amount of sugar not considered a test?  I wasn't planning on having the dessert or the selection of fine cheeses (sigh), unless of course I can have a glass of wine tonight.  Please help, I've looked everywhere to try to find an answer.

This is all really up to you. Butter would be considered part of a dairy reintro. The sugar in the meats I wouldn't worry about at all. The wine though.............that can be really problematic for some people in a situation similar to yours where there IS a party-type atmosphere and non compliant foods. It lowers inhibitions. I wouldn't personally recommend testing oneself on wine at something like this.

• 3 months later...

I am on Day 23 of my first Whole 30. I am looking ahead and planning my reintroduction. The book says to wait a couple of days after re-introducing a food to notice effects. If I reintroduce rice and it goes okay, can I then have rice the day I reintroduce dairy (think Chipotle burrito bowl)? Or am I supposed to introduce each food group and then try mixing them? Thanks!  

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Kelsey L said:

I am on Day 23 of my first Whole 30. I am looking ahead and planning my reintroduction. The book says to wait a couple of days after re-introducing a food to notice effects. If I reintroduce rice and it goes okay, can I then have rice the day I reintroduce dairy (think Chipotle burrito bowl)? Or am I supposed to introduce each food group and then try mixing them? Thanks!  

Do each reintroduction separately, and regardless of how you react, don't have the reintroduced food again during reintroductions. 

Here's the article about reintroductions if you want to review:  https://whole30.com/step-two-finished

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to know about the re-introduction plan after Whole 30!  

First time around, I think i was on about Day 28 or 29 when I learned that  I had to drop everything and fly to Illinois because of Dad's illness.  I got to the full 30 days (took a couple days to book the plane flight), but didn't have the opportunity to do proper re-introductions of foods.  

Makes sense, however, and hope to do it properly this time around.  Although I did get a lot of value out of my first venture.  

• 7 months later...

Im on day 30 and I am feeling a little anxious is this even normal, I feel good and I know I have lost weight but most important is my blood pressure is down I don't want to stop eating this way is it safe to just carry on.

• 3 months later...
28 minutes ago, kubak said:

Hello. I am in day 30 and I want to do the slow reintroduction. Is it ok to just start with a little cream in my coffee or do I have to start with legumes?

With a slow roll reintro, you're able to set the pace and the order. The important things here are to make sure you're keeping at least 2 days of compliant eating between each test (to see if there are lingering or delayed effects) and that you eat compliantly overall for the duration of your reintroduction (except for the days when you're testing). Remember that this means you're NOT keeping tested foods in your diet while testing other foods, even if you didn't notice any issues.

Some of us work up schedules to manage the reintro, others just reintroduce as the moment feels right. Whatever works for you is generally fine, since the point is for you to get the information you need in order to make informed dietary choices.

Starting out with dairy first so you can try cream in your coffee is absolutely okay.

• 2 months later...
On 2/2/2016 at 6:52 PM, ShannonM816 said:

Sugar reintroduction is really about the sweet-tasting stuff, as the biggest reaction sugar causes for most people is cravings for more sugar, and bacon is unlikely to cause that.

---

I don't think so.

B/c in whole 30 days diet there is a lot sugar-tasting stuff - fruits, juices (with no added sugar), even vegetables - like zucchini, babanas, sweet potatoes etc...

Also - try to find a bacon with No added sugar (1:100 in the cases that said no sugar it's hidden in cured bacon ) - personally, I find bacon more, more sweet than the apples.

On 2/2/2016 at 6:52 PM, ShannonM816 said:

On 4/12/2017 at 4:30 PM, Carol said:

ice cream contains carageenan, which would not be permitted.  

Perhaps try making your own?  

Really? - in ice sreem?

I haven't noticed it.

Maybe I should on my own and to smell it ...with Right nose...because my olfactory receptors are chiral...and sometimes I smell dirty sock.:o