Whole30 Sample Reintroduction Schedule

SharynF

• 1 month later...

Question about the gluten reintro -- the guide says to have whole wheat bread for lunch then whole wheat pasta for dinner -- is there a reason for the whole wheat? I'm unlikely to ever eat whole wheat pasta unless forced to :). Regular pasta is more likely to make a reappearance in my diet down the road (not at home, but I do have a favorite restaurant that makes their pasta fresh).

• Like 1

Question about the gluten reintro -- the guide says to have whole wheat bread for lunch then whole wheat pasta for dinner -- is there a reason for the whole wheat? I'm unlikely to ever eat whole wheat pasta unless forced to :). Regular pasta is more likely to make a reappearance in my diet down the road (not at home, but I do have a favorite restaurant that makes their pasta fresh).

Those are just suggestions. The best thing to do is introduce something you might actually want to eat again though be careful that there are no cross contaminating ingredients. I did sourdough bread for mine because that was what I was interested in.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

My opinion: For legumes.  I would not include soy.  Soy on it's own is an allergen for many people (and they may not know it) where as legumes in general are not.  Seems logical to me that you would want to introduce them separately.  (I have mild allergies to wheat, soy, dairy and corn. I've been tested.) 

• Like 4

So tomorrow is day 31 for me and I have a couple questions regarding re-introduction.  Has anyone looked at the benefits of a slower reintroduction that is not the same as the slow reintroduction referenced in the book.  I was thinking about breaking up the categories into steps.  So Day 1 do chili with beans for the legume test but keep everything else Whole30, Day 2-3 Whole30, Day 4 Pad Thai with peanut butter and zoodles for legume test 2 and keep everything else Whole30, Day 5-6 Whole30 (done with legume re-introduction), Day 7 Quinoa pasta for the grains test, Day 8-9, Whole30, Day 10 oat granola, Day 11-12 Whole30...and so on.  Basically instead of eating legumes three times a day, or GF grains or dairy, try it for a specific meal using something specific that I used to eat and see how that one meal effects me.  Is this overkill?  

Also from a previous post it's clear that you can't reintroduce legumes and then keep them in for other reintroduction days.  So for instance if I finished legumes and grain introduction and on the day I'm supposed to start dairy there's a family dinner scheduled which will consist of GF grains do I just do another GF grains introduction and postpone dairy or is it best to skip the rice and do the dairy introduction as planned.  The only issue I see with doing a GF grain intro again is that you're taking more time on the introduction phase.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Lastly, the book mentions doing a sugar reintroduction first if you plan to see how sugar effects you.  Is sugar the exception to the rule on including it during other reintroduction steps?  I mean this in terms of on my dairy reintroduction day if I use ice cream as one of the dairy items it contains both dairy and sugar, which is that case will mean I'm eating an item already reintroduced in another reintroduction step.

Sorry if I'm being a pest with the specifics.  Thanks.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hi Caitlin, you are free to reintro in the schedule that you note.  Your reintro process would certainly take longer but if you're fine with that and have the time, go for it!  

The sugar in ice cream thing is a tough one because the ice cream could also have carrageenan in it so you wouldn't know if it was sugar, dairy or an additive that bothered you.  Each thing should be reintro'd completely alone.  We also find some people reintroing soy separate from other legumes because soy is such an issue.  Different types of dairy (whey vs casein) could also be reintro'd separately depending on what your goals at the end are.

It's really up to you how specific and how long you make it.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today was my day 30. I plan to continue. I don't really feel any need to reintroduce anything rght now, EXCEPT we are going to Europe for 3 weeks in July. My thought right now is to do the reintroduction process, take note of any good or bad reactions, then continue with Whole30. My reasoning is that I will know ahead of time what will cause me problems in Europe. I don't plan to follow Whole30 while on vacation, but I also don't plan to go hog-wild. I also don't want to take a chance of eating something that will make me uncomfortable while travelling.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Day 30 was on 6/9 for this gal! I added back in legumes yesterday. I don't think I had much of a reaction except for the expected bloating and gas...which now that I'm typing it, is not something I want to experience every day. lol I was pretty much a vegetarian before I started W30 so I ate a LOT of beans, tofu and tempeh. Now that I know what my body should feel like every day, I know the bloating and gas I experienced on a daily basis was probably not normal. I will probably eat beans every now and again and will occasionally have a slab of peanut butter but it's not something I plan on adding back in as a staple in my diet. I don't feel the need to add back in the soy right now. 

Going to wait the couple of days for the bloating to subside and then...I don't know?! The only thing dairy wise I would want to add back in would be being able to enjoy the occasional ice cream so I may get a single serving of that on Saturday but, to be honest, I'm a little scared to wake the sugar dragon. It would be nice to prove to myself that I can have something like that every now and again without it being an issue. Also, I see from a previous post that dairy and sugar should be reintroduced separately, so maybe I should get a non-dairy ice cream without carrageenan if it exists. ;) Am I overthinking this?? 

May also reintroduce non-gluten containing grains after that and then that's probably it. Not really in a rush to do that, though. 

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!! 

• Moderators

Also, I see from a previous post that dairy and sugar should be reintroduced separately, so maybe I should get a non-dairy ice cream without carrageenan if it exists. ;) Am I overthinking this?? 

You can actually reintroduce dairy and sugar together if you want. Here's a quote from the reintroduction article:

Yes, you’ll likely get some added sugar in many of your “experimental” foods—that’s really hard to avoid.If you do choose a reintroduction food with lots of sugar—say, a Starbucks grande Caramel Frappuccino (with a whopping 64 grams!) with whole milk—you’ll have to deal with the dairy  + sugar consequences all at once. Chances are, however, you’ll know intuitively what to attribute to which ingredient—digestive issues are generally dairy-driven, while energy fluctuations, cravings, and mood swings are probably sugar-related. However, some side effects, like skin breakouts, may be the result of the sugar, or the dairy, or the combination of both. 

Also, have you read the Slow Roll Reintroduction article? 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Is the order of the things you reintroduced important? For example if I want to have dairy day 1 and then the others or is there an important reason for the order?

They're listed in order of least likely to cause problems to most likely, but order doesn't really matter. Just be sure that you have the reintroduced food one day, and then go back to Whole30 eating for at least two days (more if you happen to have a reaction that lasts longer than two days -- then wait until you're feeling better), and keep each reintroduced food out until you've done all your reintroductions, even if you don't notice any reaction at all.

• 5 weeks later...

The way they want you to reintroduce wheat is wrong.  You have to eat an item of wheat at EVERY meal for a MINIMUM of THREE days in order for you to see how you actually react to it as it could take up to 72 hours to have symptoms.  You have to have a lot of it in your system.  When I was tested for Celiac, I was told that I have to eat wheat every day for 2 weeks to build it up in my system.  Check out other websites on how to reintroduce wheat and they will tell you something similar.

• Like 1

The way they want you to reintroduce wheat is wrong.  You have to eat an item of wheat at EVERY meal for a MINIMUM of THREE days in order for you to see how you actually react to it as it could take up to 72 hours to have symptoms.  You have to have a lot of it in your system.  When I was tested for Celiac, I was told that I have to eat wheat every day for 2 weeks to build it up in my system.  Check out other websites on how to reintroduce wheat and they will tell you something similar.

The protocol in the UK for a Coeliac test is actually 6wks of eating gluten prior to testing as far as I know. What we're doing here, however,  is looking for food sensitivities, and in most cases, having eliminated gluten from the system for 30 days, the reaction will be fairly quick & obvious when it is reintroduced.

• Like 7

Question about day 1 of my reintroduction on Thursday (!!!) I don't eat legumes often (although I do love peanut butter), is it worth testing them or just having them every blue moon as I previously did. (Sans the peanut butter, I'll make a decision post intro)

Mostly my sister is vegetarian and makes stuff when I see her a few times a year, so would it be worth testing if I only have them sporadically?

Thanks!

Question about day 1 of my reintroduction on Thursday (!!!) I don't eat legumes often (although I do love peanut butter), is it worth testing them or just having them every blue moon as I previously did. (Sans the peanut butter, I'll make a decision post intro)

Mostly my sister is vegetarian and makes stuff when I see her a few times a year, so would it be worth testing if I only have them sporadically?

Thanks!

Are you doing the standard reintro?

If so I'd be inclined to schedule in anything you ever see yourself eating again - forewarned is forearmed - you might find that even sporadically is too often!

• Like 1

Are you doing the standard reintro?

If so I'd be inclined to schedule in anything you ever see yourself eating again - forewarned is forearmed - you might find that even sporadically is too often!

If standard, you mean legumes, grains (non-gluten), dairy, and gluten, in that order over 10 or so days? Then, yes. 

I guess I'll make something with soy and also have some beans tomorrow. Might as well check it all out! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

They're listed in order of least likely to cause problems to most likely, but order doesn't really matter. Just be sure that you have the reintroduced food one day, and then go back to Whole30 eating for at least two days (more if you happen to have a reaction that lasts longer than two days -- then wait until you're feeling better), and keep each reintroduced food out until you've done all your reintroductions, even if you don't notice any reaction at all.

I am getting more confused about reintroduction as I read this forum (and I came here for clarity because I am feeling overwhelmed with the process). I am on day 35 and have reintroduced dairy into my diet on day 34. I did dairy first because that is what the book recommends doing first although online legumes are recommended. In this forum the moderators say that the order is listed the way it is...........etc. Why would the book and online be different then? Also, what is an acceptable way of feeling when eating a new food to know if it is "good" for your body? My belly did not feel too happy with cheese but.....is that always to be expected? Do our bodies adjust to that and we count that as "okay"? I have read, in the forum, that others feel bloated with legumes. Is that expected and considered "okay"? Or.....is digestive issues and bloating the signs we are looking out for? HELP!!!!!!! Please!!!! 

• Moderators

I'm not sure why the order is different in the book and on the website, but it really doesn't matter what order you use, the important part is to go back to whole30 eating for at least two days between different categories of foods, more if you have a reaction that lingers for more than two days.

The point of reintroducing foods is to help you decide what foods you want to include in your regular diet going forward. If you love cheese and are okay with not feeling great after you eat it, it may be worth it to you to have it sometimes. Whole30's position is that none of the foods that you've left out for the last 30 days are ever truly good for you, whether you have a noticeable reaction to them or not -- but it's also understood that food is not always simply fuel, that there are emotional and cultural influences on what we eat, and that we are not always going to only eat healthy stuff 100% of the time. If you haven't read it before, I suggest you look for the three part series on the whole30 blog titled, Dear Melissa: What do you eat? It's a good explanation of how she has discovered which foods are worth it to her and which aren't.

• Like 4

Why would the book and online be different then?

They were written at different times, the program evolves, the creators are only human, neither schedule is written in stone, both are just examples to give people an idea of how to proceed, etc etc.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Does non compliant bacon count as a sugar reintro? Sorry if this has been answered already. I have held off on it b/c I don't want to reintro sugar yet. Things such as unsweetened coconut flakes, cacao nibs and coconut butter are all registering as sweet to me now.

Has anyone experienced this? These things taste like dessert now.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Does non compliant bacon count as a sugar reintro? Sorry if this has been answered already. I have held off on it b/c I don't want to reintro sugar yet. Things such as unsweetened coconut flakes, cacao nibs and coconut butter are all registering as sweet to me now.

Has anyone experienced this? These things taste like dessert now.

Not really. Sugar reintroduction is really about the sweet-tasting stuff, as the biggest reaction sugar causes for most people is cravings for more sugar, and bacon is unlikely to cause that.

In fact, if you read the Slow My (Reintroduction) Roll article, one thing Melissa says people who are not quite ready to do reintroductions might do is loosen up on the no added sugar rule, in things like meat or ketchup.

• Like 1

Ahhh yes, now I remember her saying that about the ketchup. Thank you!

one more question. Would you suggest doing a separate sulfite re intro with maybe some jarred olives or peppers before a wine reintro to better pinpoint the effect of sulfites? I am not at all sure how I react to just this one ingredient and I would like to know.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not quite up to the reintroduction stage yet, but thinking about it. I'm wondering if I should do a separate reintroduction day for corn products, specifically, apart from other non-gluten grains? I've suspected that corn is an issue, and I know other people have allergies specific to corn. Has anyone tried this?

I'm not quite up to the reintroduction stage yet, but thinking about it. I'm wondering if I should do a separate reintroduction day for corn products, specifically, apart from other non-gluten grains? I've suspected that corn is an issue, and I know other people have allergies specific to corn. Has anyone tried this?

Many people have opted to separate corn out and test on its own day, so you could certainly do that.