Jicama fail

TessTurbo

Made Well Fed's home fries. First cooked the cubed jicama in the crockpot on low for 18 hours.

And that was not enough.

The 'fries' have the crunchy texture of still-raw potatoes. I like the flavor and will definitely try again, but next time will go for a full 24 hours in the crock. (She recommends 12-24.)

I failed at these as well, and will not try them again. They were too crunchy, tasted weird, and smoked so much when I fried them that I was very surprised the smoke alarms didn't go off. Not a fan.

• Moderators

It wasn't my favorite either.

Try it shredded (a breeze if you have a food processor with shredding blade), then use the same seasonings. No need to crockpot, just fry em up in a skillet. Then add in chopped onions and the rest of the seasoning and some ground meat or top with an eggs. This also works great for sweet potatoes and rutabaga.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

From what I remember, the jicama needs to go into the crockpot on high for 12+ hours. I tried the recipe when I did an Autoimmune Protocol and remember them being okay, but not great. If I had to be permanently off of nightshades, I might be inclined to experiment more with the jicama to downplay the sweetness, but I think there are tastier options out there. Like yams. Jersey yams have a white interior and are only a tiny bit sweet, unlike sweet potatoes.

Archived