I've never met a fry I didn't like...my Whole 30 journey

Jillbeau

Ok, so here goes.  This is my first post to the forum.  I technically started my Whole 30 on March 30th, so I'm on Day 4...woo!

A little bit of background about me: As I titled this post, I've never met a fry that I didn't like.  I love potatoes in all fried forms.  I've always have terrible impulse control.  Fries are definitely my food without breaks (among other things).  I've been heavy for most of my life.  I don't want to post my height/weight/measurements on here, but to be a healthy weight, I'd have to lose about 100 lbs.  I'm currently 28 years old and I know that I need to get healthier.  It's been dawning on me recently that I'm getting older...I've had an existential crisis of sorts.  I'm going to be 30 soon, what am I doing with my life?  Why do I feel so tired and drained all the time?  I feel like I'm wasting so much time not feeling as well as I could.  Believe me, I know that 28 is not that old.  But what's a better time than now?  

I was introduced to Whole 30 by a co-worker.  I'll admit, I was initially drawn to the program because of the success he had with weight loss.  He completed his whole 30 back in February 2014, losing 20 lbs in the process.  I know, this isn't a diet  But it doesn't hurt that it could help me lose weight.  Like I said above, I also have issues with my energy levels.  I often feel tired and drained.  Getting moving in the morning was an absolute chore.  In addition, I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome).  I've read that some women's PCOS symptoms have decreased after starting the Whole 30 program, which would be amazing.  I also have horrible seasonal allergies and issues with anxiety/panic attacks.  I'm not expecting a miracle, but if eating cleaner can reduce some of my symptoms, I would be crazy not to give this a shot, right?

So I spent most of the month of March thinking about it, looking at recipes, trying to decide whether or not I could really do this.  By the end of the month, I was convinced I could do it and I was ready to start.  After stocking up at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's this past weekend, my official start date was Monday 3/30/14.

Side note: I'm not a big fan of sweet potatoes or leafy greens.  I'm going to try to add leafy greens to my meals at some point.  I don't know if you'll ever talk me in to sweet potatoes (it's that stringy texture...ick).  I'd rather stick with carrots and beets for carbs.

I think I will post my food log in a different post since this introduction is already long enough.

See next post for days 1 through 3.  

Food log Days 1 through 3:

Day 1 – March 31, 2014

Breakfast – Busy at work so I did not go to cafeteria to grab anything for breakfast.  I ate an apple and a handful of cashews (I KNOW, terrible).  Not a great way to start off my whole 30.  By lunch time I was absolutely starving.  The headache (I'm assuming from lack of sugar…my normal breakfast foods are coffee and greek yogurt) sunk in around 10:30am and lasted throughout most of the day.

Lunch – large salad with tuna and Italian dressing (Whole 30 approved ingredients)…since I was so hungry from eating such a small breakfast, this salad was not nearly as satisfying as I would have hoped.  I still felt hungry throughout the afternoon.

Dinner – Heated up the Mexican braised beef (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/22316250352/oven-braised-mexican-beef) that I made on Sunday night…absolutely delicious!  I also made crock pot Mexican cauliflower rice on Sunday night (http://paleopot.com/2013/05/slow-cooker-mexican-cauliflower-rice-no-ricing-required).  I heated that as well…WAY too spicy.  I think the rest will be hitting the trash.  I heated up some broccoli to make up for the rice that I would've eaten but didn't because it was literally making my eyes water.

Overall: Not a great first day, I had a headache throughout most of the day.  Even after eating a large amount of protein and vegetables at dinner, I still felt “hungryâ€.  I'm not sure if this feeling was actual hunger or my body craving sugar.  I began questioning the program on the first day due to the feelings of hunger that persisted despite eating what I considered to be a significant amount of protein.  Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day.  Trying to be smarter, I packed plenty of approved foods for work on Tuesday.

Day 2 – April 1, 2014

Breakfast – 3 scrambled eggs, cooked in ghee.  Added all the diced peppers that I had left in the fridge.  Topped the eggs with my favorite salsa (Wegman's organic).  As you can see, much better breakfast than yesterday.

Snack – about 10 raw cashews

Lunch – large salad with grilled chicken (chicken cooked in olive oil) and Italian dressing (Whole 30 ingredients).  I brought more chicken than I thought I would need (4 grilled “tenderloinsâ€, 3 medium sized, 1 small), since I was so hungry the day before.  Well, all that chicken disappeared over lunch.

Snack – 1 small apple

Dinner – Leftover Mexican Braised Beef, heated up carrots that I peeled and cooked yesterday, sauted green beans with Olive oil and garlic.  I had a major breakthrough at dinner…I actually felt satisfied after!  I did not have that weird feeling I've been having over the past day and a half (either hunger or a sugar craving, I'm not sure). 

Overall: Better than Day 1, I felt more prepared.  I made Balsamic Chicken (http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/crock-pot-balsamic-chicken-thighs) in the crockpot which I will eat tomorrow.  These weird “hunger†feelings seem to have subsided, though still present to some degree.  Headache is definitely better than yesterday, though still present.

Day 3:

Breakfast -  3 scrambled eggs cooked in olive oil (I wanted to try cooking in something different), topped again with salsa.  I need to cut and prepare some vegetables to add to my eggs. 

Snack  - about 10 cashews

Lunch – Leftover Mexican braised beef (I didn't plan to eat this so many days in a row, but I didn't feel like cooking something last night for lunch today, so more beef it is!  It is so good, so I'm not complaining) and plenty of cooked carrots. 

Dinner – Heated up the balsamic chicken that I made yesterday.  It was SO dry.  Like so dry it was almost inedible.  I then researched the recipe more and found out that if you use chicken breast (which I did), you need to alter the recipe.  The taste was really great and I plan on trying these again with the modifications for chicken breast instead of thighs.  Paired chicken with beets and carrots.

Overall: This seems to be gradually getting easy.  I still have a headache from time to time, but it's not awful.  Another breakthrough…I woke up this morning BEFORE my alarm.  I made it to the train station EARLY (this never happens, I cannot stress this enough).  It's definitely a nice change.  And though I will post my whole Day 4 post tomorrow, I woke up again this morning before my alarm and I was early again.  How is this happening to me?  The girl who was literally about 30 seconds from missing the train every morning?  Maybe those Hartwigs are on to something…

So what do you guys think so far?  More leafy greens, right?  More healthy fats?  I need some suggestions on how to incorporate healthy fats.  I've been cooking with ghee and olive oil so far, but I know that we are supposed to add healthy fats in addition to cooking oils.  I've never been a huge fan of avocado/guac, but I could try.  Any other suggestions?   

Welcome to the forum!  Sounds like you have some great goals and I hope you are able to start to achieve some of them through healthy eating.  I'm on day 18, haven't been perfect (snacking on nuts in between meals, etc), but haven't had any of the no-nos.  Feeling pretty good, but no weight loss, alas.

Anyways, I'm having a bit of a love affair with sweet potatoes, so I'll try to not take your comments personally.  ;) But seriously, some other yummy carbs worth trying are plantains and winter squash.  I didn't think I liked plantains until this diet.  Now I LOVE them.  My taste buds have definitely woken back up to the subtley and sweetness of natural foods now that I'm on day 18 of no added sugar.

Good luck to you!

regarding healthy fat, if you did those crockpot recipes with boneless skinless chicken thighs rather than breasts you may find they are much tastier and that would add some fat to your diet.  Good job on getting through a tough few days!

I'm allergic to avocado, so for added fats, I ate olives and made Whole30 Mayo. I like to have that with tuna salad, but also makes a great base for dressing, dipping sauce, and as a spread on chicken lettuce wraps. I avoided nuts because it's a slippery slope for me. I also added ghee to sweet potatoes and steamed veggies....it felt SO indulgent after years of avoiding butter like the plague.

Sounds like you have a great outlook, and I am so glad for you to be seeing some results so soon! 

• Moderators

One easy way to add fat is to use fatty cuts of meat instead of lean cuts... like chicken thighs instead of breasts, chuck roast instead of shoulder roast, etc. And as others mentioned, olives and homemade mayo. 

I'm on day 3! You sound so motivated. I think you're going to do great! And thanks for sharing the Mexican braised beef link too. I've been keeping my meals super simple. But this weekend I plan on feasting it up! Best wishes on your journey. 

You're doing fantastic! 

Don't be afraid to experiment a bit as far as what to eat at what meal.  Something surprising for me is that I love shredded zucchini in my omelet or scrambled eggs.  Who knew, lol.

I like vegetables well enough, but have a mental block about breakfast, so I'm trying to find creative ways to get them in, hence the zucchini in my eggs.  :lol:

I have PCOS, used to hate sweet potatoes, and only started liking vegetables of basically any sort when I was 23. So I feel your pain. :) You've gotten awesome advice from the others - ditto to them. My tastes really did start to change when I started eating Whole30-style - I used to hate avocado, but now I like it a lot as a topping (not by itself - I still don't get people who can eat it with a spoon! - but on chili or taco meat, yum). I used to hate sweet potatoes because I'm Southern and every way I'd had them was basically dessert. Now I make dishes like this, or put them in the sunrise scramble from Well Fed 2 - they're not as sweet that way, and the texture definitely isn't stringy (I still hate baked sweet potatoes for both those reasons). I say all that to say, keep trying new ways to eat things and you might be surprised! In the meantime, if you want/need starchy stuff, you're not limited to sweet potato - I really like roasted kabocha or butternut squash with balsamic vinegar drizzled on top, for example.

For leafy greens, I hate them cooked still, but love a good kale salad like this one or the one in Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans. And coconut is another good source of added fat. I hate most forms of coconut (I only use coconut oil when I won't be able to taste it), but toasted coconut flakes with salt and cinnamon (or the sunrise spice from Well Fed 2!) are really delicious!

I was drawn to your post...as I, too, have never met a fry I didn't like...and I've never particularly cared for veggies at all. Today was my day 12 and tonight I had a slight craving for some fries. :)  I decided to make homemade sweet potato fries.  I know you said you don't like sweet potatoes because they are too stringy--the fries might be something you like.  Just a thought.  Keep up the great work. 

I think you're doing great!!!  At age 28, I think you're at the best time in your life to make positive changes.  You can do this!!

I'm a sweet pototo fan myself, but I get the "stringy" hate.  Try rosting cubed sweet potato with a shake of cinnamon.  :)  

As for added fats, the homemade mayo can't be beat IMO.  My go-to is egg or tuna salad with some veggies.   I also love black olives so I can easily eat those at every meal if I have to! 

Stay strong, we're here for you! 

We started the same day, I have pcos and I was also a white potato addict!! Now on day 11 I feel like I can eat a sweet potato (but it sure isn't a white potato!)   Try the jicama home fries from Well Fed - the 12-24 hour crockpot cooking makes them *almost* like a potato!

Archived