Eggs in Purgatory

Emiley Carey

Being the smug jerk I am sometimes, I thought I came up with a brilliant, albeit bizarre, PERFECT Whole30 meal. Turns out, it's totally already a thing. Oh well. 

I hate the name though, so maybe I'll revamp and rename it and pretend it's new  ;)

Eggs in Purgatory:

Poach eggs in tomato sauce. 

Add stuff.

Eat.

For real! Make some homemade marinara with those buckets of tomatoes you've been getting from your co-op (or is that just in AZ?) OR buy some W30 compliant sauce. Bring it to a simmer in a skillet, and gently lower as many eggs as you like into the sauce. Cover with a lid and let cook for ~4 minutes. I spooned out the first two onto a bed of steamed broccoli, dumped more sauce on top, and devoured!

Some other ideas are to add sauteed veggies (onion, mushroom, garlic, asparagus?!) or to eat on a bed of spaghetti squash. Eggs and tomato sauce sounds bizarre but Ohhhh man is it good eats. 

BONUS: super easy to reheat for work lunch or whatever. I brought a tupperware with two eggs, broccoli, cauliflower, and sauce and it's a great lunch! 

Hi Emiley- Just letting you know I deleted your double post (over in meal planning) we ask that people keep each post to one so all the responses can be in the same place.

and yes...Eggs in Purgatory is a classic dish that works great during the whole30. I tend to make mine on the spicy side (I think that's the purgatory bit). yum.

Archived