Yoga trouble

gs05

I'm on day 4 of my second Whole30. I've had an ongoing problem for the past few months, and even though it's not Whole30-related I thought the gurus here might be able to help me figure out what's going on!

For the past 3 months, I've been doing yoga on Wednesday evenings and waking up with an intense migraine the next morning. The yoga is a mix of Vinyasa and Hatha, so it's not very intense and I've done both of those styles regularly in the past without issue. I am prone to migraines but this pattern is new and until I started my Whole30 I had no changes in my diet or routine that could contribute to the migraines. I'm also very well hydrated. I'm at a loss as to what to do, because I don't want to give up the yoga but I can't wake up every Thursday morning in pain! (we didn't have class last week and my Thursday was pain-free).

That's not good!  Maybe you're putting too much pressure on your neck during shoulder stands or head stands?  You sure you're drinking enough water?  Did anything in the practice or what you eat/drink change 4 months ago? 

I was thinking along the same lines as pjena - does your class regularly involve inversions? One time I tried a headstand in a vinyasa class and did it wrong, and my neck was sore for days - those poses are easy to do incorrectly if you're not careful. If you're prone to migraines, that could possibly be it.

If so, I'd either ask the teacher for close attention so you can be sure you have proper form, or just skip those poses (maybe shoulder stand is no good but supported bridge could work?).

Archived