Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pam664

Day 5: Constant shaky feeling

I started Whole30 last weekend and from the start have had an anxious, shaky, lightheaded feeling. It was worse the second day - I actually called off work - and has settled down somewhat but it's still there. It's constant. Eating doesn't make it go away, and I gave up coffee so it isn't caffeine overload. I track my calories and I'm getting enough every day. Has this happened to anyone else?

First - please, please stop tracking your calories. I know it's really hard, and many of us have had that ingrained in our brains for years. But part of the purpose of the Whole30 is to teach us to listen to what our bodies need, rather than going by some number (whether that number is on a scale or on a calorie tracker). Even if you're allowing yourself 2000 calories a day, if those calories all come from protein and fruit with no fat, that's not giving your body what it really needs (just as one example).

Second, could you post what you've been eating? That will help people see where you might need to tweak things to help you feel better. It's very common to not feel great during the first week, but what you're feeling does sound a little extreme. How were you eating before, and how much coffee were you drinking before?

Thanks! Just to clarify, I tracked calories for a couple days because I thought the shaking might be from not eating enough, not because I'm trying to stay below a certain limit. Other than that, I haven't worried about it.

Breakfasts and lunches are almost always the same: 2 scrambled eggs, half an avocado and some fresh vegetables for breakfast, big mixed greens salad with 4-6 ounces of chicken breast (or tuna, salmon, etc.) and olives or half an avocado for lunch. Dinner varies. So far I've had an omelet (eggs and spinach, no cheese) and a salad, baked fish with fresh broccoli and a salad (2 nights), rotisserie chicken with green beans and salad.

I eat breakfast really early and have a mid-morning snack most days. That's almost always fruit - an apple, or some strawberries and kiwi, or a banana. I have a handful of almonds with the fruit.

To be honest, my diet before was pretty bad. Lots of fast food, bread and pasta so this is a big change. I was also drinking 2-3 large cups of strong french press coffee every day. Surprisingly, I haven't had any headaches from caffeine withdrawal. I've been drinking a lot more water since I started Whole30 so that might be helping.

I'm on medication for underactive thyroid which can cause jitters if I take too much, but I wasn't having problems with it before Whole30 (even with all that caffeine!) and have not changed the dosage.

Hope that helps!

So many people have a hard time not tracking calories - glad to hear it was a temporary thing!

I'd start with adding more protein at breakfast. A serving of eggs is as many as you can hold in your hand; for me that's at least three. A bigger breakfast might help. It's hard to tell how much fat your dinner has - make sure you have plenty of that too. In the first week, personally I'd err on the "eat more food" side, especially with how you've been feeling. That said, though, do you eat the snack because you're hungry? Just fruit by itself (or even with almonds) isn't that satiating, and might be spiking your blood sugar a little bit. If you're hungry enough (like, you would eat steamed fish or chicken and broccoli), have a mini-meal that has at least protein and fat. That will be a lot more satiating and have more nutrition.

How bad people feel is generally very related to how big a change this is from their previous diets, so if you were eating a lot of fast food and grains before AND having that much coffee, this is a lot of change for you. If you're feeling better, I'd say just up the food and keep going, giving yourself plenty of rest. But if you're still feeling really jittery, I'd be a little more concerned - I'm not enough of an expert to know what's going on, especially in light of a thyroid condition.

You need to increase the size of your meals. Two eggs is not enough for an adult most days. Eating big at breakfast is very important. You might need to eat 3 or 4 eggs. Fresh veggies at breakfast and salad at lunch does not provide as much food as you might think. By the time they are wilted, cooked, chewed, etc. fresh veggies and salad don't amount too much. You may need to shift to cooked veggies to increase the bulk of what you are eating. One of the problems with counting calories to decide if you are eating enough is that all calories are not alike. People in authority treat calories as if they are meaningful, but research is very clear that what food provides calories is a bigger deal than the calories themselves. This is why we recommend following the meal template and letting us consult with you about what you are eating. Oh yeah, half an avocado is okay, but you could eat the whole thing unless you are very small person. You are also eating eggs, chicken, and fish. I get hungry faster when I am not eating beef, lamb, or pork. There is little fat in chicken and fish, so you may need to vary your meals to include some red meat to help fully nourish your body. 

Thanks so much! I will definitely try increasing portion sizes and adding cooked vegetables, and adding more beef or pork meals. This is such a huge shift in thinking for me. It all looks like too much food!